Quantcast
I have lost most interest in RPG's. I used to look so forward to them. Here's why.

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I have lost most interest in RPG's. I used to look so forward to them. Here's why.

Have RPGs lost their magic?

Yes. 70 36.65%
 
No. 89 46.60%
 
See results. 32 16.75%
 
Total:191
jardesonbarbosa said:
You have no clue what a RPG is. JRPG is not RPG, it's a genre based on D&D, but with no actual D&D elements on it. The RPG part of JRPG is a loose appropriation. I cannot think of a single JRPG that has roleplay. True RPGs are Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2 and Witcher 3.

The thing is, JRPG as a genre, never really evolved. There's no random encounters and turn-based combat in some games anymore, but the rest is all the same. Atlus is the best one with SMT and Persona, but there's barely any difference between those games and what Enix did so many years ago, they're still badly written. The rest of the industry, on the other hand, evolved heavily, the difference between Planescate: Torment and The Witcher 3 is huge, even though both of those games share a lot of the same elements. JRPG is a genre fated to be niche, unless the developers take it to another level. That's why you don't like JRPGs anymore, that's a tired genre that had it's time, but it's struggling to stay alive. Or maybe you just want the old JRPGs, with less western influence, and if that's the case, there's still tons of them on the 3DS and PS Vita, pretty much the same games as before, but with new graphics.

I have to ask if your post is a joke or satrical because this is pretty out of touch. Is your post for real? I'm gonna take it as you're being serious. First of all, let's clear of up this JRPG nonsense. It only means Japanese Role Play Game. Turned based RPG doesn't mean JRPG or vice versa. Some people conflate those two together. JRPG is not a genre. It only describes RPGs that come from Japan.  Turn based RPGs is a genre and that's the term you two should be using. FF VII, FF tactics, Mario RPG, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Dogma are all JRPGs. 

The parts I bolded are nonsensical to the point that it makes me wonder if you ever played any JRPGs of old or new. It's like you're saying that water isn't wet or that fire isn't hot. JRPGs are RPGs. Chrono trigger or FF tactics are good examples of role playing in JRPGs. 

As for your comment about JRPGs never really evolved....  I'll address this in both ways that JRPG could be used. Turn based RPGs evolved a long time ago. Over the course of decades, you can see them experimenting with the genre with different games. Changing battle mechanics and adding in more action to it for the most part. FF XII and games similar to it are the evolved form of turn based RPGs. JRPGs as a whole have evolved greatly. You can see the vast difference from FF III to Dragon's Dogma. 



Around the Network

You need some Resonance of Fate in your life. Turn based, innovative, kitschy JRPG story. Easily the best non Square Enix JRPG of Gen 7.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
You need some Resonance of Fate in your life. Turn based, innovative, kitschy JRPG story. Easily the best non Square Enix JRPG of Gen 7.

Did SE even release a single good JRPG in gen 7 though?

Besides, best JRPG of the gen clearly goes to Lost Odyssey



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

vivster said:
You need some Resonance of Fate in your life. Turn based, innovative, kitschy JRPG story. Easily the best non Square Enix JRPG of Gen 7.

There was a story?

I can easily recommend the game as well, one of the finest JRPG's on PS3/X360.



Xen said:
vivster said:
You need some Resonance of Fate in your life. Turn based, innovative, kitschy JRPG story. Easily the best non Square Enix JRPG of Gen 7.

There was a story?

I can easily recommend the game as well, one of the finest JRPG's on PS3/X360.

3 hipsters going clothes shopping isn't a story?



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Xen said:

There was a story?

I can easily recommend the game as well, one of the finest JRPG's on PS3/X360.

3 hipsters going clothes shopping isn't a story?

"This dress is so expensive why, Leanne?"

"Oh, i see why ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) "

Game's fun, OP!



niceguygameplayer said: 
Angelus said:
Play Divinity: Original Sin. The battles aren't random (though there's a few exceptions), but it's the best turn based RPG I've played in many years

It sounds anti Christian. I am a Christian. Maybe the name is misleading?

Ok.......

1. No, the game is not anti-Christian

2. How exactly does does the name Divinity: Original Sin sound anti-Christian? Last time I checked, the subject of divinity, and original sin are intrinsic to your undoubtedly precious "holy" bible. If anything, it sounds like the game was named by a bunch of Christians.



Here are awesome JRPGs for you(PS4):
Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Dragon Quest 11, Bloodborne, Kingdom Hearts 3 ect

my favorite time was the ps2-time, but now on PS4.. its the heaven for me and jrpg-player. And the future is very hot.
i have no interest in west rpgs ala witcher 3 or fallout, but the Jrpg-story/gameplay/characters of Persona 5 is so incridible. Play, live and enjoy it - this magic is strong. Greetings = )



Death Stranding, PS4-Release: November 8! The Last of Us 2, February 21 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvG-EpPoCCA


jardesonbarbosa said:
You have no clue what a RPG is. JRPG is not RPG, it's a genre based on D&D, but with no actual D&D elements on it. The RPG part of JRPG is a loose appropriation. I cannot think of a single JRPG that has roleplay. True RPGs are Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2 and Witcher 3.

The thing is, JRPG as a genre, never really evolved. There's no random encounters and turn-based combat in some games anymore, but the rest is all the same. Atlus is the best one with SMT and Persona, but there's barely any difference between those games and what Enix did so many years ago, they're still badly written. The rest of the industry, on the other hand, evolved heavily, the difference between Planescate: Torment and The Witcher 3 is huge, even though both of those games share a lot of the same elements. JRPG is a genre fated to be niche, unless the developers take it to another level. That's why you don't like JRPGs anymore, that's a tired genre that had it's time, but it's struggling to stay alive. Or maybe you just want the old JRPGs, with less western influence, and if that's the case, there's still tons of them on the 3DS and PS Vita, pretty much the same games as before, but with new graphics.

The JRPG genre has evolved a great deal over the years. JRPGs in the early 80's had simplistic stories, and a predictable town/dungeon/town/dungeon structure. Starting with FF IV (and some might argue Phantasy Star II on the Genesis) on the SNES the storytelling started to improve drastically. By the time FFVI and FFVII rolled around a JRPG wasn't a JRPG without multiple side quests, tons of hidden collectables, and a robust custom leveling system. Poke'mon hasn't changed much in years, but at the time it was a quantum leap forward. 150 playable characters in a single game.  Anybody that has played DragonQuest VII, and DragonQuest VIII can see how Level 5 streamlined the classic DQ gameplay, added party customization, and made battles more difficult. 

Modern JRPGs like Etrian Odyssey IV, SMT IV, Persona 5, Xenoblade series, are drastically complicated games.

Etrian Odyssey takes the oldschool Wizardry formula, adds a brutal difficulty level, changes the way bosses work entirely, changes what status effects do to bosses, allows cross classing for ridiculous customization, and borrows heavily from the MH series for getting new gear. 

SMT IV is basically Dark Souls meets Poke'mon with a stupidly complex breeding system. 

Xenoblade goes so far as to include giant mechs now, and it a vast open world. 



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

niceguygameplayer said:

It sounds anti Christian. I am a Christian. Maybe the name is misleading?

You should expose yourself to Anti-Christian works. It'll give your faith a babtism by fire. I expose myself to Christian works all the time, and I'm not religous at all. 



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true.