For the background on this thread go here.
So the intention behind this thread is to provide a single location where the community can post about official sales announcements from retailers, publishers, other tracking firms, etc. which we can use to compare against our own numbers and potentially make adjustments, with the overarching goal being to increase the accuracy of our software figures.
I can't manually make adjustments myself yet, so for the time being what I'll be doing is collecting the bits of data you guys find, sifting through it to make sure it's legitimate and that it does suggest a notable under or overtrack, and then going over this with Brett.
First some ground rules for those who aren't necessarily familiar with how VGC works. Please keep these in mind before bringing a figure to my attention; if the following points could account for the difference then there's no point listing it here:
- Figures quoted by publishers, developers, and manufacturers are taken to be shipped figures, not sold, unless the announcement specifically addresses this point. So if the official data suggests an undertrack, it has to be a notable one (varies from game to game; use reasonable judgment), otherwise it is easily put down to the difference between shipped and sold.
- We don't currently track digital. Again, unless specifically addressed in the announcement or leak, figures will be assumed to be both retail and digital combined. Imagine, for a moment, estimating and deducting the digital sales from the total - are the figures now close? If so don't bother posting it here.
- Other sales trackers' figures are also estimates, just like ours. Unless there's a major difference don't bother bringing it to my attention. If there is a major difference there won't necessarily be any changes, either, depending on how confident we are in our raw data for the title in question.
- For the time being the emphasis should be on recent releases - so the current generation only (3DS, PSV, WIIU, PS4, XO, PC, and the more recent PS3 & 360 titles) . The goal is to catch up and have the most recent figures as accurate as possible; legacy titles can wait.
- Compare like with like. Is the data you're about to post for the USA, UK, Germany, France, Japan, Europe, or the World? If it's not then it may be impossible to come to a conclusion one way or the other. If it is then make sure the figure on VGC you compare it to is for the same region.
- Dates are important. What is the period covered in the official announcement? Is it actually specified? If not it's going to be hard to draw any conclusions. If it is, again, compare like with like on VGC.
- Language is also important. 'Over 2 million' can mean 2,000,001 sales, and indeed that is probably closer to being the case than 2.5 million if that's the language used. Similarly 'Almost 2 million' is not actually 2 million. So read the announcement carefully before assuming a discrepancy.
- Post the link and quote the key piece of data you want to bring to my attention.The report needs to be from a reliable source and not just a 'rumour' on a gaming site or a 'leak' from someone on Twitter. If you do use Twitter as a source make sure it's from a widely respected person. It'd also help if you linked to the title on VGC in question at the same time.
I think that covers everything. If I've overlooked something I'll add it in later. In meantime feel free to start posting official sales announcements in here.