Quantcast
Wii U or Vita, which has been more successful/profitable?

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U or Vita, which has been more successful/profitable?

Wii U or Vita

Vita has 2 million more sales 63 27.04%
 
Wii U has 2 games enterin... 137 58.80%
 
see results 31 13.30%
 
other, post below 2 0.86%
 
Total:233
Mbolibombo said:
Wasntthe Wii U been profitable over the las fiscal year?


The losses are alieviated from other assets in the company, same with Xbox.



Around the Network
naruball said:
gcube2000 said:


actually no Wii U is in fact profitable


source, please? If you're gonna use the word "fact" might as well provide a link or something.

 

As a happy psvita owner with zero interest in wiiu, I still believe that the wiiu lost less money. I don't think either has been profitable and they both hurt their brands (ninty homeconsoles and Sony handhelds), but Wiiu has been less of a failure due to first party games selling well.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/nintendo-no-more-wii-u-loss/



hentai_11 said:
naruball said:


source, please? If you're gonna use the word "fact" might as well provide a link or something.

 

As a happy psvita owner with zero interest in wiiu, I still believe that the wiiu lost less money. I don't think either has been profitable and they both hurt their brands (ninty homeconsoles and Sony handhelds), but Wiiu has been less of a failure due to first party games selling well.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/nintendo-no-more-wii-u-loss/

"no more" does not mean it has been profitable overall. The ps3 was no longer a loss after 2010 or soemthing, but overall it cost Sony more money than it made.



daredevil.shark said:
None are profitable. Last year Sony "wrote off" PS Vita and PS Vita TV from its earnings. Wii U is also in same boat.


That was a one time write off for the legacy component's

IE: no oled screen, no longer using the proprietary charging port  the new board and unit is lighter and smaller nm scale Soc. Price reductions on entire unit/ unit build for Now 4 year old Arm Holding Design Cortex A9 component's is very cheap to produce now.

The new vita components are far cheaper and with lower production numbers/month they are sure to be at profit. Due to their cost of Arm components inside the PS Vita platform that has far cheaper cheaper components inside for one the cost in scale would not be as much because A)/arm cortex A9 SOC is still ordered in mass volumes but not by just Sony, no retooling needed for it, nor the design because the same Soc GPU is also still ordered in mass volume due to it being a SGX543MP4+ which again is not just Sony only chip ordered.

 

That one time write off does exclude the currency older unit no doubt but as for the new PSVita and PS TV  i would doubt it being built and sold @ a loss and excluding the units from being @profit now, its very likely they are @ a profit/sell per unit basis.

Now.



I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

gcube2000 said:
daredevil.shark said:
None are profitable. Last year Sony "wrote off" PS Vita and PS Vita TV from its earnings. Wii U is also in same boat.


actually no Wii U is in fact profitable


PS3 is also profitable. Its not sold at loss. But PS3 lost $3 billion in its lifetime. You cant use individual units price. R & D and many other facts needs to be added.



Around the Network

Which ones has Amiibos again? That one clearly won from a profits standpoint. And a big budget title release standpoint (even if most were entirely on its 1st parties shoulders). It's not even really a question of which one was more profitable. Wii U.



hentai_11 said:
naruball said:

source, please? If you're gonna use the word "fact" might as well provide a link or something.

As a happy psvita owner with zero interest in wiiu, I still believe that the wiiu lost less money. I don't think either has been profitable and they both hurt their brands (ninty homeconsoles and Sony handhelds), but Wiiu has been less of a failure due to first party games selling well.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/nintendo-no-more-wii-u-loss/

I reread it. Your right it seems to point to no losses on units sold.



I'm not sure which is more successful/profitable but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the proprietary vita memory cards



Vita is maybe less of a relative failure as it's coming off of the PSP, which did well enough but wasn't a DS or Wii. The Wii U is part of a long legacy of Nintendo home platforms - 3 of the 6 being the top-selling console of their generations. I wouldn't call either of them a success, but I lament how poorly the Wii U is doing in contrast to its excellent library of 1st party games.



Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12 GameCube Games of All-Time - Special Features, Episode 5

daredevil.shark said:
gcube2000 said:


actually no Wii U is in fact profitable


PS3 is also profitable. Its not sold at loss. But PS3 lost $3 billion in its lifetime. You cant use individual units price. R & D and many other facts needs to be added.

true. but i don't think the Wii U lost $3 billion in its lifetime.