Quantcast
The Nintendo (Console) Cycle

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo (Console) Cycle

WHAT DOST THOU THINK

Wii U will sellest so lit... 23 26.14%
 
Dude, the next console wi... 20 22.73%
 
Bub, da next console is g... 9 10.23%
 
I am a logical professor ... 15 17.05%
 
La la la. I am waiting fo... 4 4.55%
 
Idk bff like it might do well but like idk 2 2.27%
 
Well, we must take many f... 9 10.23%
 
Wii U level shall do it, 6 6.82%
 
Total:88

I won't count Wii in this since it breaks the cycle by being the exception to the rule, like Sonic Colors and Generations to the "Sonic Cycle". This thread is basically going to show the amount of decline/increse of sales in Nintendo consoles/console games. You could do it by yourself, but it would take a lot of typing and clicking. So use those reading comprehension skills I hope you have and look at mucho numbers.

Numbers are according to VGChartz. I know there's some errors, but we can go to an imaginary land where VGChartz is 110% accurate and just do this for fun with Rainbow Dash and the Twilight one.

NES Global - 61.91 million

SNES Global - 49.10 million

Difference in sales - SNES sold 12.81 million less.

US- NES, 33.49, and the spankalishis Mario box, or should I say, SUPER Mario box (Cuz it is a SUPER Nintendo) blah blah

 

I got bored of doing all that. I don't need to take 45 minutes to an hour writing all this on a Wii U GamePad to tell you all what I'm trying to tell, using a Google calculator to subtract 61.91 - 49.10. Basically, not counting the Wii, each console has had around a 10-15 million decline

 

NES to SNES - Minus 12.81 million

SNES to N64 - Minus 16.17 million (From NES to N64 it is 28.98 million)

N64 to GC - Minus 11.19 million (Average decline is 13.39 million)

 

Wii U would break the 10 million+ sales drop thinf, but only because there's so little to drop from with GameCube's sales.

 

But the main question is: Will the next console break the cycle? And if so, how? Leave a like, favorite, comment , and subscribe!

 

Oh, and for me personally. Wii U will sell so little that the next console will break the cycle by outselling Wii U.



Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Around the Network

Didn't Wii already break the cycle?



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Didn't Wii already break the cycle?

Read first sentence of OP. Exception proves rule. This incomplete sentence.



Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Esiar said:
zorg1000 said:
Didn't Wii already break the cycle?

Read first sentence of OP. Exception proves rule. This incomplete sentence.

Such a stupid phrase, it should be stricken from English entirely. The exception can't prove the rule.

And what the Wii demonstrates is that there's no cycle, but rather a new judgment with each successive console, by comparison with the previous one. The SNES was a souped up NES. The N64 was a souped up SNES. The Gamecube was a souped up N64. The Wii come up with something new and different. The Wii U is basically a souped up Wii with some DS thrown in (it would be so much more if they put the U-pad to better use, though).

So it should surprise nobody that, when it comes to Nintendo home consoles, it's important to differentiate. Nintendo can't compete with Sony and MS in terms of raw power (because games are all Nintendo really does, whereas Sony and MS are mega-corporations with many different types of product), so their best chance is to keep things changing, to make sure their product is the only way to play the newest games (rather than just prettier versions of older games), the only way to experience new ideas.



The bar is so low it's hard to imagine their next system not being able to get over it.



Around the Network

I think the next console will break the cycle. I think we'll see a rise in sales from Wii U to next console and it will start trending the other way. NX (or whatever) will be more like GC sales (20+ million).

I'm basing this off nothing substantial or concrete, just a hunch. A hunch that Nintendo will look at why Wii U failed, correct the errors, shed this identity crisis they've had of catering to casuals and go back to just making good games on hardware that everyone can understand and get on board with. It's a big hunch, but I think it would automatically earn them 10+ million more hardware sales.

Like I said, purely speculation and not based off anything. I just think they'll take a long hard look at who they are and where they want to go and figure out how to win the general public back next generation. Their games always sell well - it's the hardware that's confusing.



It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Aielyn said:
Esiar said:
zorg1000 said:
Didn't Wii already break the cycle?

Read first sentence of OP. Exception proves rule. This incomplete sentence.

Such a stupid phrase, it should be stricken from English entirely. The exception can't prove the rule.

Off topic:


Not a stupid phrase, comes from the other meaning of 'prove'; to test. So the exception tests the rule. Or in other words, the exceptions that disproves the rule



zelmusario said:
I think the next console will break the cycle. I think we'll see a rise in sales from Wii U to next console and it will start trending the other way. NX (or whatever) will be more like GC sales (20+ million).

I'm basing this off nothing substantial or concrete, just a hunch. A hunch that Nintendo will look at why Wii U failed, correct the errors, shed this identity crisis they've had of catering to casuals and go back to just making good games on hardware that everyone can understand and get on board with. It's a big hunch, but I think it would automatically earn them 10+ million more hardware sales.

Like I said, purely speculation and not based off anything. I just think they'll take a long hard look at who they are and where they want to go and figure out how to win the general public back next generation. Their games always sell well - it's the hardware that's confusing.

I liked having this hunch too.

Then E3 happened.



They will doomed if they didn't break it.



A handheld gamer only (for now).

ToxicJosh said:
Aielyn said:
Such a stupid phrase, it should be stricken from English entirely. The exception can't prove the rule.

Off topic:


Not a stupid phrase, comes from the other meaning of 'prove'; to test. So the exception tests the rule. Or in other words, the exceptions that disproves the rule

Nobody uses "prove" in that way. I've never heard it used to mean "to demonstrate invalidity" in any other sentence.