This is an opinion thread. I have no facts to base it up, just a gut feeling. I genuinally believe that the argument that Amiibo's will be as impactful as Skylander is very limited in sight. I have multiple reasons why:
1. People compare Amiibo to Skylander and Infinity, both of which have toys for ONE game or game series. Nintendo's toys will be working with a MULTITUDE of games coming out 2014 and 2015 and probably a whole lot more that haven't even been announced yet (Animal Crossing U, Pokemon U, Pokken, etc). It will be HUGE compared to Skyfinity based on this single feat alone.
2. People will recognize Nintendo toys for years and decades more than they will Skyfinity toys (depending on the toy). Old people will recognize them and want to buy their grand kids something that they KNOW isn't offensive or violent (they don't know the same thing about Skylander and, for the most part, Disney Infinity). Middle age people will remember playing with these characters from their own youth and will feel nostalgic and want their kids to experience what they did if they haven't already (also these middle aged people may still be gamers and want to collect these toys themself). I'm 23 years old and can't wait to collect these toys and play the games they are compatible with and I'm thinking there are at least a decent amount or 20 or 30 somethings out there who feel the same way. Lastly the kids will see these toys and, because of Skylander toys and how cool they are as well as their identification of iconic characters, desire them.
3. They are FAR more advanced in capabilities and in future prospect than Skyfinity toys.
4. It will work with both Wii U and 3ds (at least in some capacity on the 3ds).
5. Like the Wii mote, which did not invent motion controls but rather make it a global hit, I think people will look at amiibo and realize this is the beginning of the perfection of something massive and they will want to buy it and experience it.