Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: 'Growing Pains' Means eShop Restrictions Could Change

Tagged games:

'Religious themes' are forbidden, but not necessarily forever.

http://cdn2.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/113200/ss_57c7fb142d6b8f7d38ab62d9f39a055a5b2d4c4c.1920x1080.jpg?t=1372282933

Indie game The Binding of Isaac was denied even the possibility of a 3DS eShop release last year, and Nintendo’s Dan Adelman says “it kind of kills me...it kills me right now that I had to make that phone call.” So why isn’t it coming to Nintendo platforms?

“We carve out some categories of content we don’t allow,” Adelman tells IGN. “Religious themes is one of those topics. And so it was deemed to be in violation of that.” So The Binding of Isaac's abstract interpretation of Biblical stories doesn't quite gel with the rules -- and anything of its sort will get the red light, too. The easiest solution, of course, at least from the outside, is that Nintendo should simply adjust its restrictive policies.

So why doesn't it?

http://i.imgur.com/8ntWYBC.jpg

Adelman suspects Isaac would sell well on Nintendo’s 3DS, as it did on PC, but insists that Nintendo must “remain true” to the established rules. “Maybe we should revisit the entire concept guideline on religious themes,” muses Adelman. “Maybe we should just get rid of that altogether. But given that, that’s right now one of our stances.”

Damon Baker, who does marketing for Nintendo, adds, "there have been a lot of initiatives recently in terms of revamping the guidelines, re-addressing how to make the development process easy as possible for Nintendo platforms...We’re going to continue to hit that message over and over. But hopefully it’s becoming more and more clear that it’s easier than ever before to develop games for Nintendo platforms."

With the exception, of course, of games with something to say about religion.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6963601152/h9911CB8F/

Improving established rules is a process, and Nintendo seems aware of its prohibitive problems. “We’re definitely open to revisiting [policies] from time to time,” Adelman says. “What we need to do is be a bit more flexible sometimes as far as interpreting those guidelines and making exceptions where they do make sense. But we’re a large company. We’re kind of going through some of our own growing pains in that regard."

Here's hoping Nintendo is serious about changing, because, as it stands, its commandments could scare off creativity.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/04/nintendo-growing-pains-means-eshop-restrictions-could-change



Around the Network
I hope they get rid of those restrictions completely.

shantae-half-genie-hero

Must be a grey area they allow or just an Eshop restriction because they just had SMTIV and I have a tough time believing that game made it the whole way through without any religious themes.

edit: actually I wonder what the line is.  Would something like Catherine which was largely not about religion but had things like confession booths and some religious overtones count?  What about games that just make up fake religions but use those as a way to comment on religious faith in general?  Probably has to be pretty blatant otherwise I feel like we would have heard of this getting in the way of games coming to Nintendo platforms before.  



...

Torillian said:

Must be a grey area they allow or just an Eshop restriction because they just had SMTIV and I have a tough time believing that game made it the whole way through without any religious themes.

Ditto for Bayonetta 2. But I think the way they deal with religion isn't really as likely to stir up a shitstorm as Binding of Isaac.



badgenome said:
Torillian said:

Must be a grey area they allow or just an Eshop restriction because they just had SMTIV and I have a tough time believing that game made it the whole way through without any religious themes.

Ditto for Bayonetta 2. But I think the way they deal with religion isn't really as likely to stir up a shitstorm as Binding of Isaac.


Never played Bayonetta all the way through but you're obviously right since they have all those angel enemies.  I guess Binding of Isaac just crossed a fairly liberal line.  That said, even that line should probably be taken out.  Let the consumer decide if it's something they don't want.  



...

Around the Network
Torillian said:

Never played Bayonetta all the way through but you're obviously right since they have all those angel enemies.  I guess Binding of Isaac just crossed a fairly liberal line.  That said, even that line should probably be taken out.  Let the consumer decide if it's something they don't want.

It sounds arbitrary, but I think they probably differentiate between dealing with religion in the somewhat fantastical way a lot of JRPGs do (including Nintendo's own Xenoblade, I'd imagine, if it's anything like the rest of the Xeno games) and doing so in a more pointed, satirical way like Binding of Isaac.



Torillian said:
badgenome said:
Torillian said:

Must be a grey area they allow or just an Eshop restriction because they just had SMTIV and I have a tough time believing that game made it the whole way through without any religious themes.

Ditto for Bayonetta 2. But I think the way they deal with religion isn't really as likely to stir up a shitstorm as Binding of Isaac.


Never played Bayonetta all the way through but you're obviously right since they have all those angel enemies.  I guess Binding of Isaac just crossed a fairly liberal line.  That said, even that line should probably be taken out.  Let the consumer decide if it's something they don't want.  


I thought this had to do more with parents complaining than the consumers.



MDMAlliance said:


I thought this had to do more with parents complaining than the consumers.


I'm sure it is about parents being likely to complain, but you shouldn't keep these kind of things off your platform entirely just because it'll annoy some people.  Long as the previews and summary for it in the store aren't directly offensive using probably the same standards they use for selling any M rated game I think it should be allowed on.  



...

badgenome said:

It sounds arbitrary, but I think they probably differentiate between dealing with religion in the somewhat fantastical way a lot of JRPGs do (including Nintendo's own Xenoblade, I'd imagine, if it's anything like the rest of the Xeno games)

It isn't. Thank God.

c wut i did ther?



Around the Network
noname2200 said:

It isn't. Thank God.

c wut i did ther?