Quantcast
"Microsoft will vanish in 5 or 10 years, Facebook in 3" explains FSF President.

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Microsoft will vanish in 5 or 10 years, Facebook in 3" explains FSF President.

Tagged games:

What will happen?

Microsoft and FB will disappear. 62 12.16%
 
Only Microsoft will vanish. 22 4.31%
 
Only FB will vanish. 102 20.00%
 
Neither will be erased. 148 29.02%
 
They both will be erased,... 69 13.53%
 
No one lives forever. 58 11.37%
 
Show me the results. 45 8.82%
 
Total:506

/facepalm

So when and if MS disappears - what happens to PCs? Permanent Windows 8 D: lol

I dont think MS will disappear but FB has a chance of disappearing providing a contender overthrows them and they make a couple of more mistakes that are drastic changes to the user interface on FB. I dont like the way its going now.

Someone's trying to get "hits" - not @ OP but the guy who said that statement lol.



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

Around the Network

I hope he is right.



BasilZero said:

/facepalm

So when and if MS disappears - what happens to PCs? Permanent Windows 8 D: lol

I dont think MS will disappear but FB has a chance of disappearing providing a contender overthrows them and they make a couple of more mistakes that are drastic changes to the user interface on FB. I dont like the way its going now.

Someone's trying to get "hits" - not @ OP but the guy who said that statement lol.


They'll run Linux or a future version of android that works well with a mouse and keyboard.  You do realize MS has competitors right?  

By no means do I want them to fail, but they continue to make alienating decisions that make me question if someone could do it better...



Captain_Tom said:


They'll run Linux or a future version of android that works well with a mouse and keyboard.  You do realize MS has competitors right?  

By no means do I want them to fail, but they continue to make alienating decisions that make me question if someone could do it better...


Well I know that, it'll be too different but I guess we'll survive ;p.

I hope those OS do get more popular though (more than what they are now I mean).



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

BasilZero said:
Captain_Tom said:


They'll run Linux or a future version of android that works well with a mouse and keyboard.  You do realize MS has competitors right?  

By no means do I want them to fail, but they continue to make alienating decisions that make me question if someone could do it better...


Well I know that, it'll be too different but I guess we'll survive ;p.

I hope those OS do get more popular though (more than what they are now I mean).

Remeber when I say "MS goes away," I don't mean that they are completely gone.  I mean it gets to the point that they are basically almost completely out of money and it is a bad idea to buy their stuff due to better things from competitors.  It would take 20 years to completely be gone I mean look gateway still exists lol!

WIndow 7/8 will be supported for atleast another 5-10 years, and windows 9 another 10 years from when it is released.  At the very least your copy of Windows x will always work ;)



Around the Network

From this day forward this man is my hero and I will worship him forever.



the2real4mafol said:
They won't vanish, they will just become irrelevant. I see Facebook becoming like myspace in about 5 to 10 years but Microsoft won't disappear while everyone uses Windows.

Microsoft has already become a background, no one cares company. You pay your money for Windows and Office and maybe an Xbox and you get on with it; very few people are excited about them.

Facebook is getting there as well. It's a background tool for life, not front and centre.

I think complete irrelevance is a much more likely fate than vanishing.



Captain_Tom said:
BasilZero said:

/facepalm

So when and if MS disappears - what happens to PCs? Permanent Windows 8 D: lol

I dont think MS will disappear but FB has a chance of disappearing providing a contender overthrows them and they make a couple of more mistakes that are drastic changes to the user interface on FB. I dont like the way its going now.

Someone's trying to get "hits" - not @ OP but the guy who said that statement lol.


They'll run Linux or a future version of android that works well with a mouse and keyboard.  You do realize MS has competitors right?  

By no means do I want them to fail, but they continue to make alienating decisions that make me question if someone could do it better...

If M$ were to go down in the next decade or so, I don't think Android would replace it. Google has it's Chrome OS, and they would push that as an alternate. Chrome, Linux, and Apple would all gain marketshare with Chrome leading the way, and Apple in 2nd. 



I can see how facebook might die but not Microsoft.



silentdj151 said:
Facebook is a dotcom bust waiting to happen...
Microsoft is the next IBM, they're just to big.
Someone will eventually come out with better marketable mainstream OS then windows, time frame I have no idea.


the next IBM? Well, IBM still has a market cap of over $200 Billion, so that worst case scenario is still 'aging titan', instead of 'dead' like the post's estimation. But MS innovated more than people realize, and their year over year profits are still growing at a very healthy pace.

As for someone coming out with a better OS - not only is it unlikely, it is irrelevent. Even if someone spends the BILLIONS necessary to build something better than windows, what good is an OS without software? You could come up with the best OS ever, and it's not going to make businesses give up everything they have to switch to something without software. It's not going to be enterprise viable for an additional decade. And gamers aren't going to give up their games. At best this OS would go the apple route - have some superiod niche products and get college students because it's cool. Meanwhile, windows continues along with over 90% of the global marketshare.

Also, MS has was more than just OSs. A few years from now, Azure is going to be one of their biggest profit centers - it's amazing.