By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Microsoft will vanish in 5 or 10 years, Facebook in 3" explains FSF President.

Tagged games:

What will happen?

Microsoft and FB will disappear. 62 12.16%

Only Microsoft will vanish. 22 4.31%

Only FB will vanish. 102 20.00%

Neither will be erased. 148 29.02%

They both will be erased,... 69 13.53%

No one lives forever. 58 11.37%

Show me the results. 45 8.82%

Total:506

I failed to see the simple maths this guy was talking about.

It all depends on people and true alternative. People will drop ms and fbook when true and better alternative will exists. There's actually alternatives but i do not think they're better enough for people to make the jump.

Around the Network

Both companies will vanish. Not in the timeframe he gave. It will take longer.
Just like all his predecessors, fb will die someday.

Slimebeast said:

What a faulty analysis to compare MySpace with Facebook.

What about YouTube, eh? Is YouTube going away too in the near future? It's as huge as it's ever been, and I think it was launched in 2005.

Myspace was never big. Facebook is enormous. You can't compare the two. Everybody is on FB, ordinary people, artists, shops, companies, everybody has a page on FB, even terrorists. Only a few nerds and some people who want to remain anonimous like me aren't on FB but the majority of young people in the rich world are there. Has there ever been a social site able to gather so many people together all over the world?

Thank You.  I'm not saying Facebook is infallible by any means. But seriously it works well and I don't see any alternatives that blow it out of the water.  For now, there is no indication that Facebook is on the way out...

facebook will be on its way out soon. Numbers and usage will start to drop but it will be a very very slow decline

I, and a few people i know, have recently deleted our facebook accounts, just have no need for it. The novelty has worn off.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Well, both are still here (and worth multiple times)

Around the Network

I cant even believe someone made a thread about this....
These people that make such crazy claims shouldnt get threads made about it.
Best thing to do is just ignore them.

Microsoft is among the most valuable companies on the planet, sitting on a massive pile of cash. They still control the personal computer operating system market, even if their share has fallen a bit - to about 85%. There is absolutely zero chance that they will disappear in the next decade.

Microsoft: "I dont feel so good..."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Nah Microsoft won’t. Facebook will, but sadly not in just three years.

EDIT: I just noticed now that this was a thread from 2013.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 10 July 2018

Facebook is certainly not as secure as MS, as their main category is not as important or as well-established as that of MS. But, they are so dominant in the social media space (aside from just the Facebook platform) that the whole industry would have to disappear if they were to be driven out of business.