Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One has non-replaceable hard drive, external storage is supported

 

Engadget

Xbox One hard drive is nonuserreplaceable, can install games to external storage

We had the opportunity to chat with Albert Penello, senior director of product planning at Microsoft this afternoon, who was kind enough to clarify a few topics for us regarding the recently-unveiled Xbox One. One thing we were quick to ask about was the integrated storage. 500GB sounds like a lot today -- but so did the 20GB unit in the original Xbox 360. The HDD there was, at least, replaceable. Can you do the same with its successor? Sadly, no. Hard drives in the Xbox One are non-user-serviceable, but Penello confirmed that the USB 3.0 port is there for external storage, which can be used for everything the internal storage can be used for. That includes game installs and downloads. So, don't fret: adding storage will be just as easy as ever.

 



Around the Network
I wonder if there is a space cap on internal storage like on the 360...

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

I'm reading on GAF that Major Nelson said that the external storage won't be available at launch.

"The Xbox One will ship with a 500GB hard drive, all of them have that. The future plan is definitely to support external storage, much like we do on the Xbox 360.

My understanding is that feature won't be there at launch because the team's working on other things. It's definitely on the list, but I don't know when it'll come in though." 

http://majornelson.com/cast/2013/09/01/pax-podcast-2013/



PlayStation Nation

"Making haters eat crow since 1994"
Lord of Gran Turismo - Ethomaz the Undertracked


 
ethomaz said:

I'm reading on GAF that Major Nelson said that the external storage won't be available at launch.

"The Xbox One will ship with a 500GB hard drive, all of them have that. The future plan is definitely to support external storage, much like we do on the Xbox 360.

My understanding is that feature won't be there at launch because the team's working on other things. It's definitely on the list, but I don't know when it'll come in though." 

http://majornelson.com/cast/2013/09/01/pax-podcast-2013/


No initial support for external storage sounds a bit weird but I can understand why it's not high priority. With 500GB of internal storage it will take some time before more storage is needed.



shantae-half-genie-hero

forest-spirit said:

No initial support for external storage sounds a bit weird but I can understand why it's not high priority. With 500GB of internal storage it will take some time before more storage is needed.

I think most features of the OS won't be ready at launch... so they are prioritizing the critical features... external HDD storage is not that important IMO.



PlayStation Nation

"Making haters eat crow since 1994"
Lord of Gran Turismo - Ethomaz the Undertracked


 
Around the Network
They selling multimedia device without support for external flash drives or HDD? wth...

Or they only mean "games"?

ethomaz said:

forest-spirit said:

No initial support for external storage sounds a bit weird but I can understand why it's not high priority. With 500GB of internal storage it will take some time before more storage is needed.

I think most features of the OS won't be ready at launch... so they are prioritizing the critical features... external HDD storage is not that important IMO.

This is bull. Trying to spread more FUD and misinformation without proof. Reported again, but seeing as how you keep getting away with stuff that others are banned for, I'm not optimistic.



nightsurge said:

This is bull. Trying to spread more FUD and misinformation without proof. Reported again, but seeing as how you keep getting away with stuff that others are banned for, I'm not optimistic.

Try again... I'm spread information from MS mouth.

http://majornelson.com/cast/2013/09/01/pax-podcast-2013/

"My understanding is that feature won't be there at launch because the team's working on other things. It's definitely on the list, but I don't know when it'll come in though."



PlayStation Nation

"Making haters eat crow since 1994"
Lord of Gran Turismo - Ethomaz the Undertracked


 
Putin said:
They selling multimedia device without support for external flash drives or HDD? wth...

Or they only mean "games"?

You're thinking of the PS4. PS4 doesn't support external storage,  but supports upgrading internal storage. Xbox One does not allow internal storage replacement but DOES allow external HDD and Flash Drives.

Hope that helps :)



Around the Network
nightsurge said:
ethomaz said:

forest-spirit said:

No initial support for external storage sounds a bit weird but I can understand why it's not high priority. With 500GB of internal storage it will take some time before more storage is needed.

I think most features of the OS won't be ready at launch... so they are prioritizing the critical features... external HDD storage is not that important IMO.

This is bull. Trying to spread more FUD and misinformation without proof. Reported again, but seeing as how you keep getting away with stuff that others are banned for, I'm not optimistic.

You reported him for that comment? Deary me.

pw



shantae-half-genie-hero