By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One has non-replaceable hard drive, external storage is supported

nightsurge said:
ethomaz said:

Just google it... it is easy... what I listed is not any secret... MS confirmed all of them.

Example...

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/24/4553946/microsoft-details-xbox-one-indie-self-publishing

"it won't all be there at launch"

That's not my job. It's yours for making a claim, to have to back it up. If you won't do it, I'll report you again, for misinformation and spreading FUD.

You should also learn not to report people and rudely accuse them of things without first making sure their statement isn't correct.

If they don't give a source you have every right to not believe it, but you do not have the right to attack them ignorantly. The mods already have a hard job, don't make it harder with meaningless reports.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:

My original XBox hard drive still works along with the system when I booted it up recently. All of my old PCs still have their hard drives work. I don't see hard drives failing even close to that 5 year mark. Anyways, by that time most people will end up being the XB1 slim to replace their old X1s.

The three things that'll kill a HDD are power loss, movement, and heat. 

Avoid those three things and you can keep a HDD functioning for a long time. 

Kane1389 said:
mutantclown said:
The Xbone requires ALL physical games to be installed in the HDD. Add to that all patches, DLC, demos and media people usually keep and 500 GB is not a large amount at all. Say the average next-gen game is 25GB in size, that's about 17 games you could have installed at any given time and that's not including DLC and all the other stuff.

Thats only if you go digital. A disc game thats 25GB big won't take 25GB to install 

Full installation REQUIRED. Mandatory for Xbone. They're going to be bigger this gen. Prepare for MANDATORY 25GB installations on average for Xbone.

mutantclown said:
Kane1389 said:
mutantclown said:
The Xbone requires ALL physical games to be installed in the HDD. Add to that all patches, DLC, demos and media people usually keep and 500 GB is not a large amount at all. Say the average next-gen game is 25GB in size, that's about 17 games you could have installed at any given time and that's not including DLC and all the other stuff.

Thats only if you go digital. A disc game thats 25GB big won't take 25GB to install 

Full installation REQUIRED. Mandatory for Xbone. They're going to be bigger this gen. Prepare for MANDATORY 25GB installations on average for Xbone.

I know its required, but just because a game is 25GB doesnt mean the installation is gonna be 25GB. You'd have to be talking about some pretty enormous game for it to have 25GB mandatory install

Kane1389 said:

I know its required, but just because a game is 25GB doesnt mean the installation is gonna be 25GB. You'd have to be talking about some pretty enormous game for it to have 25GB mandatory install

You are right... devs put redundant data in the discs to make the access fast.

A example... Uncharted 3 have ~30GB into BD-ROM but the installation is "only" 17GB.

I can see games reaching 25GB installation this new generation BTW.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Kane1389 said:

You are right... devs put redundant data in the discs to make the access fast.

A example... Uncharted 3 have ~30GB into BD-ROM but the installation is "only" 17GB.

I can see games reaching 25GB installation this new generation BTW.

I was talking about disc games, not digital

Kane1389 said:

Digital and disc won't be different this new gen... there is not partial installations... the disc will have the digital game to be full installed on HDD... the unique difference will be the disc version will have a check to see if the disc is on the tray.

Everygame will be fully installed on HDD to run.

ethomaz said:

Kane1389 said:

Digital and disc won't be different this new gen... there is not partial installations... the disc will have the digital game to be full installed on HDD... the unique difference will be the disc version will have a check to see if the disc is on the tray.

Everygame will be fully installed on HDD to run.

I dont understand what  you're saying. Lets say MGS5 is 50GB big on a Blu Ray...does that mean its gonna take 50GB of free space on HDD to install it

Kane1389 said:

I dont understand what  you're saying. Lets say MGS5 is 50GB big on a Blu Ray...does that mean its gonna take 50GB of free space on HDD to install it

This time yes.

The devs won't need to put redundant data to fast read in the disc because every game will be installed in HDD... every game will run from HDD and not the disc.

So the size of the installation will be close to the size of the disc... it is like the digital version of the game into the disc... instead to make the download and install from the internet... you will do that from the disc.

ethomaz said:

Kane1389 said:

This time yes.

The devs won't need to put redundant data to fast read in the disc because every game will be installed in HDD... every game will run from HDD and not the disc.

So the size of the installation will be close to the size of the disc... it is like the digital version of the game into the disc... instead to make the download and install from the internet... you will do that from the disc.

WHAT!?!? 

You have any links for that. Thats pretty insane. Whats the point of the fucking disc then??? You must be wrong, there's no way anyone would be this stupid