Quantcast
Those who bought DMC at launch: Why?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Those who bought DMC at launch: Why?

I buy most games at launch and have been doing so since I started working. Any game i'm on the fence for, or interests me but I'm currently not in the mood for I wait until it drops in price, though I like a lot of different genres and if I'm a fan of the series that almost makes the game an instant day 1 purchase. My reasoning:

-I read a lot of articles on games that are new IP's and usually know before release date whether or not it'll be worth the day 1 purchase

-If I like or will like a game why not support it and the developer by buying it new. Look at Valkyria Chronicles. I bought that day one cause I knew I'd like it. A lot of people waited to pick it up used or when it dropped to $20 and because of the low sales on PS3, SEGA made VC2 & 3 on PSP. Then people complained about them not making the sequels on PS3 >_



Around the Network
CapCharisma said:
I buy most games at launch and have been doing so since I started working. Any game i'm on the fence for, or interests me but I'm currently not in the mood for I wait until it drops in price, though I like a lot of different genres and if I'm a fan of the series that almost makes the game an instant day 1 purchase. My reasoning:

-I read a lot of articles on games that are new IP's and usually know before release date whether or not it'll be worth the day 1 purchase

-If I like or will like a game why not support it and the developer by buying it new. Look at Valkyria Chronicles. I bought that day one cause I knew I'd like it. A lot of people waited to pick it up used or when it dropped to $20 and because of the low sales on PS3, SEGA made VC2 & 3 on PSP. Then people complained about them not making the sequels on PS3 >_<... If you like a game buy it fairly new to support it...

-I usually get hyped for games so it's better for me to play while there is a lot of media and hype on the game rather than wait 6 months when I'd be hyped for something else.

-Even if a game isn't that long, if I have fun all the way through it will be worth it. For example I bought Mirror's Edge at launch, even though every review complained about the short campaign and it not being worth $60. It didn't sell well at $60. I beat it in less than 6 hours but I loved the story and i LOVED the gameplay, my brother did too. I ended up beating the campaign multiple times and my brother was hooked on the time trials for a long time. For me that was $60 well spent. Other games with short campaigns that I thought were worth it and only beat once Asura's Wrath, Vanquish, Binary Domain.... these are all fairly short games, that didn't sell well because people didn't see the value in it but I really liked and for me it was well worth the $60.

- I also have no life and do nothing but play games and watch stuff after work... which is good cause that means more of my free money goes to games.... well maybe.... actually i probably should get out more XD

But ya just because a game isn't worth buying for you doesn't mean it isn't for others. Everyone has different tastes. People are also in different situations and can put the money into gaming....

a shame that they don't make a VC2+3 HD bundle for PS3.... I would definitely get that.



DigitalDevilSummoner said:


 from what i've played DmC simply does not have replay value, a gameplay you will not need to master, virtually no trial and error and doesn't push you to get a better score


It has more replay value than most hack and slash games including older DMC games, if you want to even place on the leaderboards you'll need master it and push for better score, trial and error is a shit game mechanic that does not reward skill but instead wastes time.



________________________________________________________________

I think a lot of people who read so much into the length of a game are still teenagers or don't have proper lives yet. I don't mean that in a derogatory way - when I was 14 I LOVED the Ps1 RPG's like FF etc - because as a kid you didn't have that much money and you could play them for hours upon hours. They were huge value and after school I pretty much had 6+ hours to play games for - when Socom / online came out on PS2 that was even greater.

But now I work 8 hours+ a day, spend half my evenings seeing people so gaming time is at a premium. I hate that fact as I still love gaming but thats what happens when you grow up - and I'm not gonna swap seeing people for gaming. So yanno, when you're in my position, 10 hour games are perfectly 'okay' as well it'd probably take me months to get thorugh a Ni No Kuni. Being able to complete something like Dmc in a fortnight and then move on is nice. Now when you think that the vast majority of gamers are in my situation and that's why no ones striving to make longer games.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/19/40-percent-of-players-finished-assassins-creed-2-campaign/

To sum it up - 40% of people completed Assassin Creed II's campaign. That's somewhere in the 12 hour ballpark with no online - it sold millions upon millions - and yet the game was too long for the majority of it's players. Once you grow up and have less gaming time - this move to shorter more refined games becomes appealing, stuff like Uncharted nails it where I never really feel like I'm grinding or fighting hoards of enemies to pad out the gameplay time. No it feels like the whole thing has been paced and designed from start to finish to make an experience perfect for that 10 hour window - to me thats far better value then a bazillion random encounters.

And just as an aside - I still love the JRPG and next time I have a week off work will dedicate it to playing through Ni No Kuni like I did as a kid, sat in front of my TV for 6 hours a day. But for the other 48 weeks of my year games like that just arn't viable...



Barozi said:
CapCharisma said:

a shame that they don't make a VC2+3 HD bundle for PS3.... I would definitely get that.


Too bad VC3 didn't release in the west. I'd definately buy and HD collection if they made one. VC has definately been one of my favourite gems of this gen.



Around the Network

really? du multiplayer shouldn't be the focus of every game created. you know what? i'm not even going to bother.



MARCUSDJACKSON said:
really? du multiplayer shouldn't be the focus of every game created. you know what? i'm not even going to bother.


Because you know, that was my only reason I listed.



Currently own:

 

  • Ps4

 

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

I bought it for 26. Also it has a lot of re-playability just like prior DMCs.



ps3-sales! said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
really? du multiplayer shouldn't be the focus of every game created. you know what? i'm not even going to bother.


Because you know, that was my only reason I listed.


yep