Quantcast
The Vgchartz ranking game -- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Vgchartz ranking game -- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Tagged games:

How was Skyward Sword?

GOTY! 80 44.20%
 
My favorite Nintendo game ever! 9 4.97%
 
Linktastic! 26 14.36%
 
Very nice. 20 11.05%
 
Mediocre/meh. 18 9.94%
 
Twas a bad game. 9 4.97%
 
Yes I know I am very bori... 19 10.50%
 
Total:181
RolStoppable said:
- Cannot skip cutscenes on a new file. Step back for the series.

You can skip cutscenes.

It is just to press "2".



Around the Network
Pineapple said:

It's a 10 to me. I haven't played a game with so many completely and utterly brilliant nidbits in it before. There are a fair bit of things I don't like about the game, but they're so outshadowed by the brilliant elements. I utterly adored how the timeshift stones were implemented. The boss fights were as a whole some of the greatest I've seen, and the controls were brilliant.

I haven't finished it yet, so I'm not completely certain where it ends on my list of favourite games. It's looking to end somewhere between 2nd and 4th at the moment, though.

Overall, absolutely marvellous game.

By the time I visited the Sand Sea I was depressed. I mean, the past world of Lanayru Desert was so beautiful and vibrant... compared to the arid wasteland that it had become over hundreds and hundreds of years. I was hoping that I could find a giant timeshift stone and hit it to make the whole area like it was in the past. But no such luck...

Loved the Sand Sea though... absolutely gorgeous.



Dand said:
RolStoppable said:
- Cannot skip cutscenes on a new file. Step back for the series.

You can skip cutscenes.

It is just to press "2".

In hero mode, yes. That isn't available on a new file though and completing hero mode doesn't give you the option to start the game over again.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Smeags said:
Pineapple said:

It's a 10 to me. I haven't played a game with so many completely and utterly brilliant nidbits in it before. There are a fair bit of things I don't like about the game, but they're so outshadowed by the brilliant elements. I utterly adored how the timeshift stones were implemented. The boss fights were as a whole some of the greatest I've seen, and the controls were brilliant.

I haven't finished it yet, so I'm not completely certain where it ends on my list of favourite games. It's looking to end somewhere between 2nd and 4th at the moment, though.

Overall, absolutely marvellous game.

By the time I visited the Sand Sea I was depressed. I mean, the past world of Lanayru Desert was so beautiful and vibrant... compared to the arid wasteland that it had become over hundreds and hundreds of years. I was hoping that I could find a giant timeshift stone and hit it to make the whole area like it was in the past. But no such luck...

Loved the Sand Sea though... absolutely gorgeous.

Shh! I haven't finished the game. I'm still hoping for a giant timeshift stone to make the whole area like it was in the past.

Oh, and among other things I loved, the way bombs were handled in this game.  It was geniously done, and so much better than the old system. Similarly, removing the z-target shots from the bow was brilliant.

Oh, and obviously the beetle. Lovely little thing.



yo_john117 said:
Cheebee said:
I was just thinking, can't you just use VGC's user score for all these games? They're on the individual games' pages.

You can't really trust those because they are sometimes abused much like Metacritic user scores are plus a lot of people like to write out reviews and discuss it.

Yeah alright, you have a point there. Then again, people can troll the game just as easily in this thread. :p



Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

 

Around the Network
Cheebee said:
yo_john117 said:
Cheebee said:
I was just thinking, can't you just use VGC's user score for all these games? They're on the individual games' pages.

You can't really trust those because they are sometimes abused much like Metacritic user scores are plus a lot of people like to write out reviews and discuss it.

Yeah alright, you have a point there. Then again, people can troll the game just as easily in this thread. :p

I wouldn't say just as easily. In those reviews you're pretty much anonymous and can rate it 1 without much effort. Here if you rate it 1 everyone pretty much knows you did and you also better have some damn good reasons or it won't count. Of course there's always the stealth troll scores like 6-7 on games that get more generally favourable reviews (8-10 range) just to lower the aggregate score bit by bit. But really those cases just make those individuals look silly for putting so much effort into some incredibly juvenile sense of war.

What I'm more interested in here is what people actually thought about the game. What did they like? What did they hate? Why? The "Why?" is incredibly important because different people can have very different ways of looking at the same fact. IE. Fact: SM3DLand is on the easier side of Mario games. Coming from a Mario veteran this could be a negative point. For someone who isn't great at Mario games (read: I suck) it might be information I appreciate even if their opinion differs from mine.



First of all, the things I liked about Skyward Sword:

  • Fi
    • I liked her. At least story-wise and her "personality". The only thing that could have been done better... well... could have been done at least GOOD: The tips and hints. I don't give a shit about "Your battery is low" or "You are low on health". Guess what? I have eyes. I can SEE that myself. I don't need her for that.
  • The Upgrade system
    • I really liked that I can finally spend my rubies for something useful.Upgrading the shields was a great idea (other items not so much), even though it would have been great if they would have gotten more than just a longer bar.

Now the things that are average for me:

  • The controls
    • The controls were good and responded well (sometimes a bit too well), besides that, I wish I could have just attacked from more than 8 possible directions (The whole 360° would have been great). Also, the whole recalibrating was annoying as hell. Do I need to say anything more? Really, it's really annoying that you have to recalibrate EVERY SINGLE TIME you point out of range with an item or even the maps.

Now the things I disliked about it:

  • Dungeons
    • When I play Zelda, I want BIG dungeons with MANY puzzles. NOTHING else. The dungeons in Skyward Sword were the exact oppposite and therefore one of the biggest letdowns in the entire game.
  • Areas
    • It was a nice idea that the areas changed during the story, but I what did Skyward Sword have? A forest, a volcano, a desert. Well, and the sky. But it's not like you could do much there.
  • Overworld
    • Wind Waker was bad when it comes to the overworld, but Skyward Sword's "overworld" really bored me. It was great that the sky was this big. But something was missing: Locations and... everything else. 2(?) minigame islands, a single island with a sidequest and a handful of empty islands (with MAYBE a treasure chest) is nowhere near enough to keep me entertained.
  • Art direction
    • I'm honest. I don't hate Cel-shading itself, but I REALLY can't stand Cel-shading in Zelda. For me, it doesn't fit the franchise. For me, Zelda is supposed to be dark and serious (NOT realistic). But when I see characters like Groose (Is he called like that in the english version?) or... Pretty much EVERY NPC, I just want to facepalm myself.
  • Safe Points
    • It's one thing if you do it like Majora's Mask with the owl statues (temporary save file where you can teleport to), but that you can ONLY save and warp back to the sky by using one of those stupid statues... I just don't get why Nintendo made this bullshit.
  • Music instrument, the songs and BGM
    • Is it THAT difficult to give me USEFUL songs I can USE MYSELF? You know, songs that teleport me, need to be used in dungeons, for minigames, in sidequests? Seems like it. The lyra and the songs were one of the most useless things in the entire game.
    • Skyward Swords music is... ok at best. But nothing more. There were only a few pieces of music that I liked. Even most of the boss music was just plain boring. The ballad of goddess and Nayru's wisdom were pretty much the only pieces of music where I can honestly say that they're good.
  • NPCs and enemies
    • Was there even ONE minor NPC with a background story like Kafei and Anju? Not that I remember. The characters were forgetable and uninteresting. Also, Nintendo should have make more enemies and not like a million different Bokoblins. Oh, and Demise... His design was pretty good as well as his background story, but it was complete bullshit that he only appeared (as Demise) during the last... 5 minutes or something like that.
  • Stamina bar
    • I hate it. Simply as that. It was a piece of shit in Wind Waker, it's a piece of shit in Skyward Sword. It doesn't add ANYTHING to a good gameplay. Actually, it does the exact opposite.

Overall, 6/10. Skyward Sword was a real disappointment for me.



trasharmdsister12 said:

I wouldn't say just as easily. In those reviews you're pretty much anonymous and can rate it 1 without much effort. Here if you rate it 1 everyone pretty much knows you did and you also better have some damn good reasons or it won't count. Of course there's always the stealth troll scores like 6-7 on games that get more generally favourable reviews (8-10 range) just to lower the aggregate score bit by bit. But really those cases just make those individuals look silly for putting so much effort into some incredibly juvenile sense of war.

What I'm more interested in here is what people actually thought about the game. What did they like? What did they hate? Why? The "Why?" is incredibly important because different people can have very different ways of looking at the same fact. IE. Fact: SM3DLand is on the easier side of Mario games. Coming from a Mario veteran this could be a negative point. For someone who isn't great at Mario games (read: I suck) it might be information I appreciate even if their opinion differs from mine.

Well yes, that's true... trolling's a bit more difficult, but yeah.. trolls will be trolls, haha.

Anyway! OT!

I found Skyward Sword to be a fantastic game for the most part. I'd give it a very solid 9.5. I'll list some of my thoughts below, though I'll focus more on the stuff that irked me, because everyone knows it's a great game, right? ;)

The characters and animation were very well done, I loved them.

The controls were obviously a strong point too, the only things I didn't like were the stabbing (for some reason this seems incredibly iffy to pull off properly, which caused me a LOT of frustration when fighting Ghirahim for the final time), and the MotionPlus-powered pointer controls (while I appreciate what they were trying to do, it was really a bit too slow and required too much recalibrating for my liking).

I adore the artstyle! But! The graphics seemed to me to be a bit on the rough side to me when it comes to quite a few of the environments... things like trees looked quite bad to me, tbh.

As for the audio... the music was very well done, but nor memorable in the least, which disappointed me. Former Zeldas have had some of the most memorable tunes in gaming history, and imo SS just doesn't live up to that legacy. The Sky music was glorious, and Skyloft was nice, too. There were a few other tunes here and there that I really liked, but the majority of the music (while being of excellent quality and very fitting) just sounded like ambient sounds with very little in the way of strong core melodies...

The Silent Realms I disliked horribly, but that's just me; I have a deep-founded hate for anything time-pressure related in games.

The story for me was excellent, I liked the little nods and referenes to past Zelda games, and overall it seemed well thought-out (though I'm still not sure how a few things tie together, but well, who cares :p)

And yes, the Tadtone thing was just terrible, haha.The overworld (Sky) was barren as well, not a whole lot to do, and not as big as you'd think. Having only 3 major areas to explore on the surface to me was no problem, I really liked what they did with the whole density thing. There was a LOT to do in eac area.

I didn't really like the shield stuff. I don't like having to spend a ton of time getting and upgrading a shield, only to have to take extreme care it doesn't break. Meh. The whole upgrading thing was very sweet, but I'd have preferred it if shields were not breakable.

Overall difficulty was great! Finally challenging again! Some really neat sidequests too. Fi wasn't annoying to me either, I liked her.

One last thing... the surface world was supposed to be covered in clouds, and the people of Skyloft had never seen it, even doubted its existence, because an inpenetrable layer of thick clouds had been covering everything for thousands of years, as you can see when you're flying around in the Sky... HOW COME THERE'S A SUNNY BLUE SKY WITH ONLY A FEW CLOUDS WHEN I'M ON THE GROUND?! Like, WTH. Am I the only one who noticed this? I found it strange the very first moments I descended below the clouds, and have been wondering about it since. :p

Anyway, like I said at first, overall I really really like the game, the things I described above are merely some of the things that IMHO weren't up to snuff.



Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

 

may i ask waht the current score is?



I gave it a 95 on my games collection and I still think that makes sense.

Its story was perfect. Its gameplay was perfect. Its challenges was perfect. Its Zeld-esque style was perfect. Its ending was perfect (love the throw backs). Its art-style was amazing. Its controls were really good.

Basically, my only issue is the controls and that's a relatively minor issue.
1. They should have used IR for menu system. That alone would have nearly perfected it.
2. There were many times I know I moved a certain way but it recognized something else. This may be my fault or game's understanding... but it did give some issues in major boss fights.

Basically, had those two items been rectified, I would have given it a nearly perfect score as there is always room for improvement. :)