Quantcast
Gamespot is right... Skyward Swords controls are bad.

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamespot is right... Skyward Swords controls are bad.

Euphoria14 said:

Wait a second, are you telling me the pointer controls work like they did in RE5 for PS3 Move?

So I don't even need the sensor bar?

 

 

Jeez, that explains a whole lot...

You sir have just made my day even better.

Yep! Skyward Sword is Nintendo's WM+ showcase. No IR controls whatsoever (which is why the GameSpot dude was criticized... but I could see how he was confused).

And you were saying something about the reticule not being right in some cases... if that happens again, just press the down button on the WiiMote's control pad. That realigns it to the center of the screen.



Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

Nah, I think she may have finished that without issue. When I called her she was on her way to the Chamber of the Sword.

Dang... I've already been surpassed. I have much to learn.



I had trouble with the controls while I was using a 3rd party sensor bar. It would shut off if inactive for a period of time, something I thought wouldn't matter since the game doesn't use IR. However, I realized that when I made sure the sensor bar was turned on, the controls were pitch perfect and I never had to re-calibrate. Thus, I searched veraciously for my original sensor bar that never turned off, and once I found it I never had any issues with the controls for the rest of my 40 hour journey. I don't know if this could be applicable to you, but I'd check your sensor bar, since it made a huge impact on my experience. I was hugely frustrated with the constant re-calibrations until I figured this out.



My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Smeags said:
Euphoria14 said:

Nah, I think she may have finished that without issue. When I called her she was on her way to the Chamber of the Sword.

Dang... I've already been surpassed. I have much to learn.


Patience you must have young Padawan.

 

 

As for the directional down feature, I thought I could only do that in select screens where that option was clearly displayed on the screen.

That also makes things better moving forward, even though I don't have major issues with the title.



iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

    

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I'm reading this and I'm actually astonished that there was any problem there. I literally completed that section in less than 30 seconds or so with no problems at all. It was ludicrously straightforward.

I don't claim to be any kind of brilliant gamer either, in fact I'd call myself distinctly average, so yeah... I'm baffled how anybody could have a problem there.



VGChartz

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

I like to take my time and explore everything.

Still, Skyloft isn't exactly a bustling metropolis.



I haven't played Skyward sword for a while cuz I had other games but I gotta say:
I've been stuck on the very first part of the game for like half hour (the part where you bring a small animal to its owner I think) before I shut the game off. Every time I try, either link jumps off the edge or throws the animal away. Its a pain in the butt !



I don't mind the motion controls all that much (although it confuses a vertical slash for a horizontal flash and vice versa way too often) Once you get used to the fact that the pointer is controlled by the orientation of the controller rather then by where you are pointing it all clicks.

I do miss controlling the camera even more then in TP. It's very annoying to have to go into look mode all the time to be able to look up or down. The camera is also usually too low to the ground to my liking.

It would be nice if the nunchuck had motion plus too so you could set it to control the camera as a 2nd analog stick by its orientation. And while locked on you could use it to aim your shield.



the thing is the bird controls are very simple if you play the game like a kid plays with a plane.



    R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(


880user088 said:

I've been stuck on the very first part of the game for like half hour (the part where you bring a small animal to its owner I think) before I shut the game off. Every time I try, either link jumps off the edge or throws the animal away. Its a pain in the butt !

That's...

That's like the second part in the game that you can get stuck on.

SvennoJ said:

I do miss controlling the camera even more then in TP. It's very annoying to have to go into look mode all the time to be able to look up or down. The camera is also usually too low to the ground to my liking.

It would be nice if the nunchuck had motion plus too so you could set it to control the camera as a 2nd analog stick by its orientation. And while locked on you could use it to aim your shield.

What about the the left and right directional buttons? If I'm not mistaken, they're never even used in the game. (Except to zoom in and out while viewing a map, but that's irrelevant)