Quantcast
Battlefield 3 is a perfect example.

Forums - PC Discussion - Battlefield 3 is a perfect example.

Gunman121 said:

Your statistics are mistaken. This is a success for the PC.

Remember, with the 360 + PS3 = Costs are more to produce the game + retail space + walmart/gamestop take.


PC titles are cheaper to build, Thus 250,000-500,000 is considered a success. With Digital distribution, Take Steam 100,000- 200,000 units is necessary to make a profit. (Steam takes 30 % ) While at stores they take 60-70% --- now note, steam didn't have BF3. Take origin. 100 % profit right there.

This is not a failure. A failure for the PC is when a boxed unit only sells 20-80,000.


(This is why The Witcher 2 was considered a success)

Sorry but dont try to explain things when you have no idea what you are talking about, 60-70% at stores ! ...

I am a retailer and my margin on the customer price is something like 15% most of the times.  The cheapest shops i know in my retail chain have more or less 5% margin on new games.  So please, try to do some research before talking about 60-70% take by gaming stores...



Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?
Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Slimebeast said:
http://bf3stats.com/

Right now as I write it says total number of players is 192,000 (of which 65,000 are PC players). Isn't that a bit low? I think Halo (in its prime) and COD typically has 4-500,000 players online simultaneously. Can somebody confirm this?

I play MW3 on 360, and there is almost always at least 500,000 people playing the game online at a given time, its normally a lot higher than that during peak times, but thats the bare minimum.

Halo Reach right now tends to have on average of about 100,000 people playing at a given time, but the game is a year old now.

Anyway this is from my personal experience seeing the ingame statistics.

Yeah I thought so! This means that a far higher proportion of MW3 owners (10.6 million copies sold on X360 and like you say, 500,000 play it simultaneously) play the game than BF3 owners play BF3 (4.4 million copies sold on X360 but only 55,000* online right now). The difference is huge! 

* Can bf3stats.com's numbers be trusted though? 55,000 BF3 players online simultaneously on the X360 sounds extremely low.

You're just looking at the numbers at the wrong time. I've seen the 360 numbers go to ~150k during the evening/night (day/evening in USA).



Mendicate Bias said:
pezus said:
gamelover2000 said:
After taking a look at this thread again

http://bf3stats.com/

look at the stats in the left corner. PS3 tops both PC and 360 (although I recon 360 tops PS3 when it's day in the US).

PS3>PC>360 but when USA wakes up it's 360>PS3>PC. This tells me the PC version is much closer to the console versions than VGC makes you believe

Don't you have to link your gamertag to battle.net for it to show up on that website?

Nope. Battle.net is a Blizzard service, why would you have to link to that for an EA game ?



mrpapaye said:
Gunman121 said:

Your statistics are mistaken. This is a success for the PC.

Remember, with the 360 + PS3 = Costs are more to produce the game + retail space + walmart/gamestop take.


PC titles are cheaper to build, Thus 250,000-500,000 is considered a success. With Digital distribution, Take Steam 100,000- 200,000 units is necessary to make a profit. (Steam takes 30 % ) While at stores they take 60-70% --- now note, steam didn't have BF3. Take origin. 100 % profit right there.

This is not a failure. A failure for the PC is when a boxed unit only sells 20-80,000.


(This is why The Witcher 2 was considered a success)

Sorry but dont try to explain things when you have no idea what you are talking about, 60-70% at stores ! ...

I am a retailer and my margin on the customer price is something like 15% most of the times.  The cheapest shops i know in my retail chain have more or less 5% margin on new games.  So please, try to do some research before talking about 60-70% take by gaming stores...

Out of curiousity. If your margin on new games is only 15% (which should mean you pay the distributor ~$50 for a regular $60 game), how can you make any money when most games drop to half price or less within just a few months?



Slimebeast said:




Tbh you shouldn't really be comparing BF3 to MW3. The no. of MW3 players on the PS3 simultaneously (non-dominant for COD) is very likely greater than all of the BF3 players in every platform combined, let alone the 360, which is the go to platform for COD.

I was telling the minimum numbers I encounter when I play at different times of day, and if BF3 can pull of 55000 simultaneously at xbox alone as a minimum, thats pretty decent. Although I'm sure it increases and decreases depending on region times, peaks, weekends, etc I think its a good measure to see the absolute minimum number of players for a game on a given platform.



 

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
http://bf3stats.com/

Right now as I write it says total number of players is 192,000 (of which 65,000 are PC players). Isn't that a bit low? I think Halo (in its prime) and COD typically has 4-500,000 players online simultaneously. Can somebody confirm this?


time of day (and time of year) matters in those numbers.  I'd say they seem alright in general the few times I've looked on the site.  You need to check at both prime EU and US playing times to get the peak picture.



Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Slimebeast said:
http://bf3stats.com/

Right now as I write it says total number of players is 192,000 (of which 65,000 are PC players). Isn't that a bit low? I think Halo (in its prime) and COD typically has 4-500,000 players online simultaneously. Can somebody confirm this?


time of day (and time of year) matters in those numbers.  I'd say they seem alright in general the few times I've looked on the site.  You need to check at both prime EU and US playing times to get the peak picture.

Well it's up at 98,000 for X360 now. Did America wake up yet?



Slimebeast said:
Reasonable said:
Slimebeast said:
http://bf3stats.com/

Right now as I write it says total number of players is 192,000 (of which 65,000 are PC players). Isn't that a bit low? I think Halo (in its prime) and COD typically has 4-500,000 players online simultaneously. Can somebody confirm this?


time of day (and time of year) matters in those numbers.  I'd say they seem alright in general the few times I've looked on the site.  You need to check at both prime EU and US playing times to get the peak picture.

Well it's up at 98,000 for X360 now. Did America wake up yet?


I think the time difference between central Europe and the East coast of the US is 6 hours. So should be around 1pm now in New York.



Barozi said:
Slimebeast said:
Reasonable said:
Slimebeast said:
http://bf3stats.com/

Right now as I write it says total number of players is 192,000 (of which 65,000 are PC players). Isn't that a bit low? I think Halo (in its prime) and COD typically has 4-500,000 players online simultaneously. Can somebody confirm this?


time of day (and time of year) matters in those numbers.  I'd say they seem alright in general the few times I've looked on the site.  You need to check at both prime EU and US playing times to get the peak picture.

Well it's up at 98,000 for X360 now. Did America wake up yet?


I think the time difference between central Europe and the East coast of the US is 6 hours. So should be around 1pm now in New York.

Okay. It's 109,000 for X360 version now (325,000 in total, not bad).

I wish I had my new PC now so I could play BF3.

Barozi, do you remember we played Bad Company 2 and how I was all run and gun while you sneaked far behind sniping?



Slimebeast said:
Barozi said:
Slimebeast said:
Reasonable said:
Slimebeast said:
http://bf3stats.com/

Right now as I write it says total number of players is 192,000 (of which 65,000 are PC players). Isn't that a bit low? I think Halo (in its prime) and COD typically has 4-500,000 players online simultaneously. Can somebody confirm this?


time of day (and time of year) matters in those numbers.  I'd say they seem alright in general the few times I've looked on the site.  You need to check at both prime EU and US playing times to get the peak picture.

Well it's up at 98,000 for X360 now. Did America wake up yet?


I think the time difference between central Europe and the East coast of the US is 6 hours. So should be around 1pm now in New York.

Okay. It's 109,000 for X360 version now (325,000 in total, not bad).

I wish I had my new PC now so I could play BF3.

Barozi, do you remember we played Bad Company 2 and how I was all run and gun while you sneaked far behind sniping?

Sure I do. Also got myself BF3 but I honestly suck. At least in the new maps. I got the Limited Edition which includes the Back to Karkand DLC and I'm much better there, because I know all these maps from the previous BF games. :D

Anyway I haven't played BF3 that much yet (campaing and MP). When do you get a new PC ? Maybe we could play together then :)