By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Patcher Expects All Three Consoles To Cut Prices This Year!

Video game industry analyst Michael Pachter has said today that he expects the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 to receive price cuts again this year, which will lead to the Wii being forced into a price cut as well, in order to keep the remaining price advantage it has over its rivals.

"The Wii enjoyed a $350 price advantage over the PS3 at launch, and a $150 advantage until September. Now, the gap has narrowed to $100, with the feature-laden PS3 a tempting purchase for prospective console households," says Pachter.

"The holiday Wii sales boost was primarily attributable to a $50 gift card promotion offered by Wal-Mart; while we expect similar promotions at holiday next year, we expect the other consoles to be lower-priced by then, further eroding the Wii's competitive price advantage."

Pachter also says that the DSi handheld is most likely overpriced, compared to the iPod Touch, which offers a plethora of free apps as well as better music and video playback capabilities.

"It appears that piracy in Europe and some substitution of iPod Touch games has impacted DS software sales more than we expected, and we have adjusted our estimates for FY:11 to account for further pressure," said Pachter, noting that guidance had to be reduced for DS software.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/21502.cfm

Man I wish I could have a prediction face off with this guy

I see true price cuts for only 360

Arcade=$150

Super Elite+Natal=$300

PS3

250gbSlim=$300

Wii=$200

Play Me

Around the Network

Price cut for 360 is expected in my eyes. But the other 2 is a no no. Wii and PS3 just got a price cut. 360 hadn't got one since what 2008 if I'm correct. but than again people will count the Elite price cut. For me its not a price cut

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

BHR-3 said:

Video game industry analyst Michael Pachter has said today that he expects the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 to receive price cuts again this year, which will lead to the Wii being forced into a price cut as well, in order to keep the remaining price advantage it has over its rivals.

"The Wii enjoyed a $350 price advantage over the PS3 at launch, and a $150 advantage until September. Now, the gap has narrowed to $100, with the feature-laden PS3 a tempting purchase for prospective console households," says Pachter.

"The holiday Wii sales boost was primarily attributable to a $50 gift card promotion offered by Wal-Mart; while we expect similar promotions at holiday next year, we expect the other consoles to be lower-priced by then, further eroding the Wii's competitive price advantage."

Pachter also says that the DSi handheld is most likely overpriced, compared to the iPod Touch, which offers a plethora of free apps as well as better music and video playback capabilities.

"It appears that piracy in Europe and some substitution of iPod Touch games has impacted DS software sales more than we expected, and we have adjusted our estimates for FY:11 to account for further pressure," said Pachter, noting that guidance had to be reduced for DS software.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/21502.cfm

Man I wish I could have a prediction face off with this guy

I see true price cuts for only 360

Arcade=$150

Super Elite+Natal=$300

PS3

250gbSlim=$300

Wii=$200

I disagree with Patcher, and I agree with u that only X360 might get a price drop this year.

You forgot Arcade Natal though. I believe Arcade Natal $199. Natal is directed towards casuals, and they won't pay $300. Harddrive means nothing to them. Therefore there needs to be an Arcade Natal too.

I think I've responded to something like this awhile ago, but that will only happen if all three are planning on releasing their 8th gen consoles in the near future (like 2011-2012 near future). But if they are in for the long run, I wouldn't expect any pricecuts until next year. But, I kinda expect the 8th gen to start soon, so maybe this will happen.

Is it really necessary to create a new thread for every sentence that Pachter speaks? It's getting out of hand.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network

wat will arcade natal cost?
if arcade is going to 150$ on its own how are they going to include a 50-100$ add on to it for 150$? if arcade natal costs 150$ no1 will buy super elites and that will cost MS money thats the sku that they will make money from

and if the arcade natal is 200$ like u said thats not a real price cut and sony will own them again this holiday i dont think MS wants that

if u meant arcade natal and then arcade separate possible but i only like to post wat i think is guaranteed so i dont look stupid if a arcade natal never arrives im not saying it wont arrive and ur stupid for saying it but i dont want it on my conscience

Play Me

BHR-3 said:
wat will arcade natal cost?
if arcade is going to 150$ on its own how are they going to include a 50-100$ add on to it for 150$? if arcade natal costs 150$ no1 will buy super elites and that will cost MS money thats the sku that they will make money from

and if the arcade natal is 200$ like u said thats not a real price cut and sony will own them again this holiday i dont think MS wants that

if u meant arcade natal and then arcade separate possible but i only like to post wat i think is guaranteed so i dont look stupid if a arcade natal never arrives im not saying it wont arrive and ur stupid for saying it but i dont want it on my conscience

LOL!

You are so freakin funny sometimes BHR-3. :)

I highly doubt all 3. My bets is:

- 80% chance 360 gets a cut. Probably sometime around the Natal launch

- 50% chance the Wii gets a cut. There's no way the Wii costs $200 to make so I'm sure if they had to they could cut the price.

- Like a 5% chance PS3 gets a price cut; and if it did it would only be to $249. $299 is a reasonable price so they should hold it at this until at least Q1 2011.

360: Yes
Wii: Yes
PS3:No

might finally get around to getting a ps3 then if it has a price cut. a REAL price cut

not some gay ass shit where its still two models at 300 and 350 just upped hard drives. that is not a f*ing price cut.

if i won't buy it till its 200 or 250 lets say. doesn't matter if at 300 it has 1 tb hard drive and can shit out skittles, i won't buy it. Don't know why sony ever thought that people would think its so much amazing to just add hd space. we all know hd space is cheap as hell, you can't trick us