By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS is still dominating software sales even with Sony's Hardware Sales Boost

If you look at MS software sales history, with third party and exclusive titles, they have out-shined Sony's blockbuster exclusives sales and third party sales by miles! Eve after Sony's major hardware sales boost through the holiday season and into the new 2010 decade, there hasn't been much improvement in Sony's software sales. Look at Modern Waresafe sales 2:1 on the xbox 360! First part sales, look at the mere Halo3:ODST, sold 4.54m and the reviews weren't even that great. Thats just Halo3:ODST, not even a super blockbuster release (like GOW2/Halo3/ME2/Forza2/Fable, etc, etc). Whereas if you look at the ps3 MAJOR blockbuster, uncharted 2 sales at a similar release schedule like Halo 3:ODST....Uncharted 2 only sold 2.78m copies (worse than Uncharted 1). This is supposedly the best looking game of all time with a metacritic score of 96. Halo 3:ODST only got a metacritic score of 83!!!! Halo3: ODST isn't visually stunning, it was running on a dated Halo 3 engine, but it still managed to pwn Uncharted 2 buy almost double!

Ok lets forget time frames for the moment. Lets look at the all supposedly amazing Kill Zone 2, again which is known to be visually stunning, it had sold 2.19m. It was release Feb (well before Halo 3: ODST) and it managed to do even worse! Even worse than Uncharted 2! Lets look at another Major PS3 Blockbuster title that was insanely hyped by the PS3 fans, Metal Gear Solid, again known to be visually stunning, was released June 2008, sold 4.53, again still didnt manage to beat Halo 3:ODST!

Mass Effect 2 is already selling an insane amount of copies, and will out-shine any of the PS3 first part sales. Will Sony ever beat MS first party giant like Halo 3, no matter how insanely good it looks....i hardly doubt that. Halo 3 stands at 10.77 million sales on a single platform, a game that is very old now. Halo Reach will set a whole new level. Gears Of War, 6.02m, GOW2 5.54m, Fable 2 3.40m, Left 4 Dead 2.67m, Left 4 Dead 2 2.60m. These are JUST the first party sales. How will Conviction, Alan Wake all do this year?

Third Party, even with Sony's hardware sales boost, Modern Warfare 2 has sold 9.29m on the xbox 360 so far, where as on the PS3 only 6.57m. Strange, there isn't almost double the xbox 360 consoles sold in comparison to the PS3, it makes you wonder why? Maybe people prefer Xbox Live? Maybe they prefer the Xbox 360 control pad? who knows? but all I know is when it comes to software sales on the PS3 platform, even with MAJOR BLOCKBUSTER titles, which are known to be visually insane, still doesnt seem to have a chance!

Let me break it down to you, the HIGHEST sold PS3 game is Modern Warfare 2 at 6.57m (Third Party). The highest selling Xbox 360 game is Halo 3 at 10.77m (First Party). The highest selling PS3 game on the xbox 360 highest selling games list falls between GTA 4 (4th place) at 7.65m and Call Of Duty: World At War at 6.17m (5th place), so PS3 Modern Warfare 2 (1st place) falls into closer to the 5th place on the xbox 360 top selling games list. It just shows how pathetic software sales are on the PS3, EVEN WITHOUT PIRACY ISSUES!!MS faces a MAJOR PIRACY ISSUE, but still outshines PS3 any day of the week in sales.

What does this show? The xbox 360 has the highest attach rate for a reason? Better exclusives? First party & Third Party games perform better? Xbox 360 is most popular? The Sales gap between the Xbox 360 & PS3 is only 5m. So what does that show, the PS3 just catches dust in homes? PSN is poor in comparison to Xbox Live, even tho its free? You tell me? Sales show a great deal of information, so it cannot be ignored.

Whats worse, is that I have comparing these insanely major PS3 titles to a mere Halo 3 "expansion pack" xbox 360 game. It just shows how pathetic first party PS3 sales are in comparison to the xbox 360 sales. Even with the boost Sony has manage to accomplish with its new slim, it just shows, maybe people are just buying it for the cheap blu-ray player? Not really any hardcore gamers there, maybe? The people are probably in it for the blu-ray dvds, which is good for the blu-ray movie sales, but not so much for the games software sales. Well thats why I have a PS3 slim, cheap blu-ray!!!

Will Sony ever have a chance in beating MS First Party sales or Third Party sales. even...? I doubt that....what do you think? Its already like 5 years into the 3rd generation. hardware Sales boost didn't do it for Sony, what will?

(all the sales figures were taken from VGChartz.com)

Around the Network

Nothing good is going to come of this. Will a mod please lock this obvious attempt to start a flamewar?

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

lol just lol

he's not trying to start a flame war, just stating facts is all

there you go bud, now run along and play your generic bullshit like a good robot.

What a silly thread. Since when was selling several million regarded as a failure?

I thought Nintendo was dominating software sales?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

If there are any to see I at least am revealed to them. I have written Gandalf Fanboy is here in signs that all can read from Rivendell to the mouths of Anduin.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

lool,,,the price drop happened 3 to 4months ago.so you can't disregard it this quick.it takes time to catch up.

but to tell you the truth i don't care as long as sony pumps out it's AAA titles like they have in 08 and 09(they out done the other two in number of quality software)

Was there are reason you overlooked all the 3rd party titles that are more popular on the PS3? FIFA 10 has sold 2.85 million on the PS3, 2.24 million on the 360. PES 2010 has sold 1.92 on the PS3, 0.62 million on the 360.
Then there are former PS2 exclusives that have had sequels made for both consoles. Tekken 6 has sold 1.32 million on the PS3, 0.66 on the 360.
From this (very narrow) comparison you could say the PS3 is dominating the 360 in software sales.

3 things, first is interesting that you say something like "Will Sony ever beat MS first party giant like Halo 3?" when MS is ahead of sony because sony scrwed them self , sony was market leader last gen, and anyone could have said "Will Sony ever beat sony?" a couple of years ago, nintendo was at last place and look at them now. Second, MS is in second place, same as last gen they are not winning anything, unless you want to celebrate staying in the same place. Third, sony doesnt advertice, so obviusly that will keep scrweing every good game they have.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

"Third, sony doesnt advertice"

Maybe a few years ago, but Sony has been advertising like crazy since before the price drop, untilnow