By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS is still dominating software sales even with Sony's Hardware Sales Boost

I would like to know something. How much money (approximately) does Microsoft/Sony make for every copy of MW2, costing 59,99, for example. And for a first party game, like Uncharted 2 or Forza 3? I have this curiosity, because I believe first party games are a much better deal for companies!

And also if blu-ray games are more expensive to produce, like movies. I mean, where I live, blu-rays movies are so danm expensive compared to dvds it's not even funny. Games are sold at the same price, but do they really cost the same to produce?

Thanks!

Around the Network

I'm surprised that none of the strong Sony supporters have been here to tear you up yet. I just wanted to comment on your theory of "cheap" blu-ray player. Stand alone BR players are way cheaper than $300 so I think you may have boned yourself on that one. I have no intentions of getting a PS3 due to time constraints but there are indeed a few games that I would check out if I could spend the majority of my free time playing games. I could care less what place they are in the bottom line is that as a gamer, some of their games look great. Another comment about blu-ray, here in the states I think that the prices have come way down. I don't buy many because I'm not the type that needs a physical library so Netflix serves me well but the few I do own were all right around $20. All that said, I do love my 360!

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Hey, nice write up by the way. Sony can stand a chance if they invest more on software making, since most of the revenue is from software, not hardware.

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

The 360 exclusives tend to sell a lot more than the PS3 exclusives. 360 exclusives do not even have to receive high review scores to sell over 2 million sales ltd. PS3 exclusives have a struggle to sell 1 million copies ltd. 360 exclusives often obtain higher sales totals than PS3 exclusives. Fewer 360 exclusive games than PS3 exclusive games means Microsoft can spend more money on advertising the games to maximise the sales of the 360 exclusive games.

The multi-platform games well the PS3 games have a better chance of matching or outselling its 360 counterpart. The PS3 multi-platform games often have higher attach rates than their 360 counterparts. Number of game sales divided by the total install base is much higher ratio for most PS3 multi-platform games than 360 multi-platform games.

He is merely stating facts...

The real question is how come 360 has attracted the better customers.

Around the Network

Software sales follow install base, not monthly hardware sales. People that buy a new PS3 aren't going to just go out and buy 7 games off the bat, they will gradually purchase games.

It will take probably until the 360 and PS3 install bases are the same before weekly game sales of the two are consistently equal, and even longer for total PS3 game sales to equal 360 due to the > 1 year head start it had.

4 or 5 new games are often bought with a new system. It is surprising that the 360 outsold the PS3 comprehensively in software while the PS3 was outselling the 360 comprehensively in hardware.

Boost in hardware sales should mean a considerable boost in software sales.

to me your just proving that 360 are fps nuts

It should be noted that all of your examples are from one genre.

You said Uncharted 2 sold less than Uncharted 1 but kinda skipped over the fact that UC1 has been out for like 2 or 3 years while UC2 has been out for about 2 months.

The PS3 doesn't have any Halo 3 or MW2 level sales but it's got titles that sell what Gears Of War, GOW2, Fable 2, Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 have sold. If you want to compare sales of exclusive titles, the PS3 beats the 360 in sales with the exception of Gears and Halo. You called out Fable 2, Left 4 Dead but Resistance, Little Big Planet, Motorstorm 2 and GT5P have outsold all of those. On top of that there is more genre variety.

It should also be noted that it has a smaller install base than the 360.

o god