By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Chrono Trigger vs. Final Fantasy VII

Chrono Trigger vs. Final Fantasy VII

Chrono Trigger 143 64.41%

Final Fantasy VII 79 35.59%

Total:222

Chrono Trigger still is my favourite RPG. They did so much right with that game I don't know where to begin.
I loved the battle-system (even though I hated turn-based battles in general at the time), that there was NO random encounters (!!!), the amazing characters (I always have a huge problem deciding which characters to go with. I want to use them all!), the soundtrack, the story.

It's a masterpiece.

Around the Network
Hisiru said:
RageBot said:
Hisiru said:
RageBot said:
Hisiru said:
RageBot said:

Didn't Chrono Cross outdo Trigger? I'm suprised sincee the story, battle system and artistic deesign in Cross are FAR superior.

Oh, and not-related sequel? Did you even play Cross?

Anyway I voted for FF7, I liked the setting and atmosphere much much more.

Cross is not a sequel. It's a paralel dimension (so you can have some characters and references from Trigger appearing in Cross but not the same storyline and not a sequel). Cross is more like a spin-off/side story just like Radical Dreams. 

Also, Cross bored the hell out of me (and I finished this game), so no, it doesn't have a better storyline, battle system and artistic design for me (purely a matter of opinion).

Cross isn't only in a paralel dimension, it is in the original dimension of trigger + a paralel dimension.

Not true:

"the developers of Chrono Cross suggested the game happened in a parallel dimension."

Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/chrono-cross

I know why you are saying that (probably because of the places, characters and similarities) but everything is happening in a parallel dimension, Cross and Trigger doesn't have the same world (even if it's similar).

"To resolve continuity issues and acknowledge Radical Dreamers, the developers of Chrono Cross suggested the game happened in a parallel dimension."

They said this on Radical Dreamers /=

Do  you know what Radical Dreams is?

Chrono Cross is a game based on Radical Dreams (characters, storyline etc).

...Why do I even bother.

It doesn't matter, Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers are aknowledged as different games, in different dimensions, Chrono Cross is in Trigger's timeline and dimension, Radical Dreamers isn't.

You still fail.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

^^^ no, you fail

RageBot said:
Hisiru said:
RageBot said:
Hisiru said:
RageBot said:
Hisiru said:
RageBot said:

Didn't Chrono Cross outdo Trigger? I'm suprised sincee the story, battle system and artistic deesign in Cross are FAR superior.

Oh, and not-related sequel? Did you even play Cross?

Anyway I voted for FF7, I liked the setting and atmosphere much much more.

Cross is not a sequel. It's a paralel dimension (so you can have some characters and references from Trigger appearing in Cross but not the same storyline and not a sequel). Cross is more like a spin-off/side story just like Radical Dreams. 

Also, Cross bored the hell out of me (and I finished this game), so no, it doesn't have a better storyline, battle system and artistic design for me (purely a matter of opinion).

Cross isn't only in a paralel dimension, it is in the original dimension of trigger + a paralel dimension.

Not true:

"the developers of Chrono Cross suggested the game happened in a parallel dimension."

Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/chrono-cross

I know why you are saying that (probably because of the places, characters and similarities) but everything is happening in a parallel dimension, Cross and Trigger doesn't have the same world (even if it's similar).

"To resolve continuity issues and acknowledge Radical Dreamers, the developers of Chrono Cross suggested the game happened in a parallel dimension."

They said this on Radical Dreamers /=

Do  you know what Radical Dreams is?

Chrono Cross is a game based on Radical Dreams (characters, storyline etc).

...Why do I even bother.

It doesn't matter, Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers are aknowledged as different games, in different dimensions, Chrono Cross is in Trigger's timeline and dimension, Radical Dreamers isn't.

You still fail.

Looks like you don't know what you are talking about. I think you should play it again and make some research.

You still fail because you aren't paying attention to what I said: Chrono Trigger and Cross aren't in the same world or dimension, if you really finished both games you will know that.

And Cross is based on Radical Dreamers (I am not sayind that they are the same games), part of the storyline and some characters you will find in both games.

"Radical Dreamers is a sequel to Chrono Trigger based off a small sub-plot. Chrono Cross isn't a sequel to Radical Dreamers, but rather it is a newer, longer, somewhat different version of it that borrows the main scenario for the first part of the game."

Source:http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Radical_Dreamers_FAQ.html

If you have a game "A" (Radical Dreamers) based off a small sub-plot of a game "B" (Trigger) you will have a side-story/spin-off in the game "A" and if you make a game based on the game "A", you will have... a side-story. That's what Cross is to Trigger.

I will help you with your research:

"i. Initially, the game was intended to be a short, original text-based adventure developed in three months with almost no planning. Nevertheless, by the end of the development, Masato Kato had connected the game's plot and characters to Chrono Trigger, turning it into a side story."

"Initially, the game was intended to be a short, original text-based adventure developed in three months with almost no planning. (he is talking about Radical Dreamers) Nevertheless, by the end of the development, Masato Kato had connected the game's plot and characters to Chrono Trigger, turning it into a side story."

"In 1999, a continuation of Chrono Trigger, titled Chrono Cross, was announced. Although the "Dream Team" members did not participate in Chrono Cross, the game was developed mostly by the same staff as the first installment.[6] In terms of basic system and gameplay, producer Hiromichi Tanaka made it clear that the new installment was not a sequel to Chrono Trigger; rather, the game designers' approach was to make the "gameplay evolve with the hardware", creating a completely new game while restructuring the former style so as to maximize the performance of the console.[7] The gameplay focuses on the theme of parallel worlds rather than time travel, although the latter is still deeply involved in the game's plot. In terms of storyline, Chrono Cross was described by director and scenario writer Masato Kato as "not a Chrono Trigger 2", but "a result of a pulled trigger", "another Chrono""
Not a Chrono Trigger 2, but another Chrono = Side story and not a sequel to Trigger.

I'm going back to the main point, Cross is a continuation of the timeline, and it is related, because:

SPOILERS FOR CHRONO CROSS

The fact that Cross has Chrono, Marle, Lucca (Both in "spirit" and she's the one who raised Kidd ), Schala (She's the one inside the time devourer) and Lavos, the same pepole, doesn't mean that it is related?

Wether you call it a sequel or not is just semantics, I call it a sequel for the same reason the MGS3 is considered a prequel for MGS1 and 2, and for the same reason that MGS2 is considered a sequel for MGS1, for the same reason That SMB3 is considered a sequel for one, etc.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network

Guys why are you even arguing about Chrono Cross, that is a pain to scroll past

Chrono Trigger did not have random battles. Enough said.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

RageBot said:
I'm going back to the main point, Cross is a continuation of the timeline, and it is related, because:

The fact that Cross has Chrono, Marle, Lucca (Both in "spirit" and she's the one who raised Kidd ), Schala (She's the one inside the time devourer) and Lavos, the same pepole, doesn't mean that it is related?

Wether you call it a sequel or not is just semantics, I call it a sequel for the same reason the MGS3 is considered a prequel for MGS1 and 2, and for the same reason that MGS2 is considered a sequel for MGS1, for the same reason That SMB3 is considered a sequel for one, etc.

Are you reading what I am saying? You can have the same characters in another dimension. You (as a person) can appear in another dimension with a different life, this is the concept of parallel dimension but still, it's not the same story. That's why Cross is a side-story and not a sequel.

I gave you proof showing the developers admiting that it's a side-story. I don't know why you are ignoring it.

I will post it again:

"producer Hiromichi Tanaka made it clear that the new installment was not a sequel to Chrono Trigger"
"Chrono Cross was described by director and scenario writer Masato Kato as "not a Chrono Trigger 2", but "a result of a pulled trigger", "another Chrono""

"producer Hiromichi Tanaka made it clear that the new installment was not a sequel to Chrono Trigger"

"Chrono Cross was described by director and scenario writer Masato Kato as "not a Chrono Trigger 2", but "a result of a pulled trigger", "another Chrono""

Isn't the better comparison FFVI vs. Chrono Trigger. Anyway, with both Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger, SquareSoft managed to put together a AAA team (for a lack of a better term) to make the game. I don't think they ever managed to put together a team that good again.

As for storyline, atmosphere, soundtrack, etc., you really need to compare SNES games to SNES games (or Genesis games). I believe that, using what they had for the time, Chrono Trigger did a better job with almost every aspect of the game as compared to FFVII.

Hisiru said:
RageBot said:

Are you reading what I am saying? You can have the SAME characters in another dimension. You (as a person) can appear in another dimension with a different life, this is the concept of parallel dimension but still, it's not the same story. That's why Cross is a side-story and not a sequel.

I gave you proof showing the developers admiting that it's a side-story. I don't know why you are ignoring it.

Okay, it isn't a sequel, but it is related, and there's no proof that it is either in the original dimension or a parallal dimension, can we agree on that?