By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When does Sony reach the point of no return in Japan?

OriGin said: It would be fun to trash this thread even further, but there is no point, both PS360 and Hus have dropped it on it's nuts. Sorry PS360 but you helped by enticing Hus to post more. There are so many wrong points from both the Nintendo and the Sony side that there is no point going through all the jibberish to clarify things. This thread just reeks of fanboy's punching on. People need to read the Blue Ocean strategy stuff about the Wii, you might just understand why this generation has gone the way it has, and will continue to go this way.
I know I should have ignored him, But I didn't; and thats my fault. I will take the blame for that, I should have ignored him. I would like to see one wrong point from both sides, it's better to atleast mention it than just say you are both wrong and fanboys.

Predicting the Future - 360 Will get to 11 Million in the USA this year!!

Predicting the Future - Wii will NOT win this gen in America!!

Prediciting the Future - The PS3 will pass the Wii by 2009!!

Around the Network

The argument between these two has been dropped, let's just try to stay on topic people.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Ahrmmm... okay well i'll do one from each side :) Firstly what is it about the Wii that you don't like? What you HATE about it? Secondarily 12 vs 12 year olds... obviously neither of you are 12 years old, there have been a lot of school yard shit slinging, reasons being that you both like different consoles, and are arguing against each other personally because of the preference in product that you have. VERY VERY typical fanboy behavior.

PS360N64PSXBOX said: I am praying to all gods in all religions this happens! I hate the Wii!
Dude this makes you sound completely like a fanboy and will make most people 'forget' your points even if they are valid, you sound completely like a fanboy. Why did you say that?
PS360N64PSXBOX said: US numbers are by month, Japan is by week. That may explain something. But they should rise after the GTA 4 thing bing shown and the strong europe and aussie sale, good stuff!
Sorry but announcements and videos of something 'coming soon' don't make people buy consoles, especially without a release date. People don't pay to go to the cinemas and sit there watching a blank screen until the movie they saw was 'coming soon' arrives at the cinemas do they? It's a crappy analogy but it's a fair one. People don't buy consoles without something worthy of them buying it then and there. There is my justification for 'fanboy' comment toward yourself there.
PS360N64PSXBOX said: FFXIII is a PS3 Exclusive! It will be out this year. But as for the wii, this wouldn't be the first system to start off hot and then cool off and die! Dreamcast anyone? I am praying to all gods in all religions this happens! I hate the Wii! As for Japan.. LMFAO! Who cares about them? They don't dictate the market anymore, the saturn outsold the n64 there..who won? the GC outsold the xbox there...who won? Time will tell if the Wii is a fad, america is the most important and largest market, so wait until the March numbers, If they drop compared to last month, fad and it's slowing. If it goes up....thats sad. PS3 numbers need to be paid attention to also, if they go up over last month, and they will, the PS3 is fine.
This whole quote is bad fanboy and full of fanboy opinion that is wrong. Firstly, the Wii is trouncing the Dreamcast in all regions, that comparison has no basis other than being a completely wrong comment. In Japan the Wii is about to overtake what the DC did in 3 years. Praying to the gods? Okay... fa.... i don't need to finish that word. As for Japan, who cares? This site takes into account the complete world wide picture and this topic is regarding the Japanese market. It will hurt Sony very badly if the PS3 continues to sell very poorly in Japan whether YOU like it or not. Final Fantasy XIII is a HUGE game for Sony in Japan. If the sales don't pick up it would not be a smart move for SquareEnix to keep the game on that platform, they would lose to much money. I'm not saying FFXIII is going to go to 360, in fact I think it probably wont, i'm sure Sony has a pocket of coin going towards keeping that game an exclusive.

80-100k ps3 per month is that bad selling? lol. AND ALMOST WITHOUT GAMES!

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said: 80-100k ps3 per month is that bad selling? lol. AND ALMOST WITHOUT GAMES!
Compared to the wii it is. But the PS1 sold slower, until FF7 came along.

Around the Network

PS360N64PSXBOX said: Compared to the wii it is. But the PS1 sold slower, until FF7 came along.
Well, you can't really compare them one to one.It is much harder for games to move consoles with such a heavy price around, especially if the people don't own an HDTV. Without an HDTV the Xbox 360 and the PS-3 are moire or less worthless.

CrazzyMan said: 80-100k ps3 per month is that bad selling? lol. AND ALMOST WITHOUT GAMES!
You can't say "wait for the games," and then after a bunch of the games come (VF5 and Gundam Musou added to Ridge Racer at launch) KEEP saying "wait for the games."

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

don't compare ps1 with ps3, there just isn't any comparison. PS1 came out 1 and a half years before N64 in Japan. Like the 360 even though it didn't sell that fast, it didn't need to because of the lack of competition (saturn did alright, but it was too expensive). The n64's underwhelming launch (besides mario) and long wait between games killed the momentum while PS1 already had a much better userbase and was cheaper to make games for with more freedom because of disks. No same generation system at any point has had a larger user base than a playstation console until Ps3 (except for saturn in japan for like 1 or 2 weeks after launch). The n64 never had a lead at any point. Right now not only does a console have a lead, but 2 of them do. 2 consoles that have a lead AND are selling faster than ps3. Further one has nearly a 8 million userbase advantage. Don't act like Sony is in familiar territory here.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Erik Aston said: CrazzyMan said: 80-100k ps3 per month is that bad selling? lol. AND ALMOST WITHOUT GAMES! You can't say "wait for the games," and then after a bunch of the games come (VF5 and Gundam Musou added to Ridge Racer at launch) KEEP saying "wait for the games."
Of course you can, he just said it... (warning this post includes a lot of sarcasm)

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

kars said: PS360N64PSXBOX said: Compared to the wii it is. But the PS1 sold slower, until FF7 came along. Well, you can't really compare them one to one.It is much harder for games to move consoles with such a heavy price around, especially if the people don't own an HDTV. Without an HDTV the Xbox 360 and the PS-3 are moire or less worthless.
Ummmm.You do know that the 360 and PS3 play fine and are fully compatible with non-hd tv's right? All that HD is for the people to have one, but you don't NEED one to play them.