By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread + League + VGCritic

lestatdark said:
dtewi said:
lestatdark said:
dtewi said:
lestatdark said:
dtewi said:
I shall vent here..... Fabula Nova Crystallis is the stupidest name ever!

Why is it? It only means New Crystal Legend in latin o.O

No it doesn't. It means "A New Story With Crystals"

That name sucks.

Fabula is both Story and Legend in latin. So it can be both New Crystal Story or New Crystal Legend. 

Once more, why does it sucks? Every FF which has Crystal related theme has a similiar crystal cathphrase. 

Let me say again.

Fabula Nova Crystallis is literally translated as "A New Story With Crystals"

That name is bad.

You would never use that as a name.

Dude, you do not ever literally translate latin into a single phrase. Mainly because words like Fabula have more than one meaning.

That's a basic first day lesson in Latin class.

You translate it like that. Yet at the end of FFXIII, the description on the trophy that you recieve is New Crystal Legend.

Both are correct. 

If they wanted it to be New Crsytal Legend, it would have been Crystallus Novus Fabula.

Sure, you can make it sound like good English, but the point stans that Crystallis in latin means "by/with/ crystals" and no matter how loose you make your translation, it still stands that it generally means a story that has crystals in it.

Latin is extremely technical and you can't be that loose with translations. "Crystallis" still takes the ablative case even if nominative sounds better.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
The best music in the series belongs to FF6

I'd rank them like this in terms of music:

1. FF6

2. FF10

3. FF9

4. FF7

5. FF13

6. FF8

7. FF4

8. FF12

You have never listened to XIs soundtrack then I guess. IMO it is like this:

XI >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any of other FF

Of course it has some bad songs like any soundtrack. Suprisingly alot of Nobuos work in it, I didn't really like.

dtewi said:
lestatdark said:
dtewi said:
lestatdark said:
dtewi said:
lestatdark said:
dtewi said:
I shall vent here..... Fabula Nova Crystallis is the stupidest name ever!

Why is it? It only means New Crystal Legend in latin o.O

No it doesn't. It means "A New Story With Crystals"

That name sucks.

Fabula is both Story and Legend in latin. So it can be both New Crystal Story or New Crystal Legend. 

Once more, why does it sucks? Every FF which has Crystal related theme has a similiar crystal cathphrase. 

Let me say again.

Fabula Nova Crystallis is literally translated as "A New Story With Crystals"

That name is bad.

You would never use that as a name.

Dude, you do not ever literally translate latin into a single phrase. Mainly because words like Fabula have more than one meaning.

That's a basic first day lesson in Latin class.

You translate it like that. Yet at the end of FFXIII, the description on the trophy that you recieve is New Crystal Legend.

Both are correct. 

If they wanted it to be New Crsytal Legend, it would have been Crystallus Novus Fabula.

Sure, you can make it sound like good English, but the point stans that Crystallis in latin means "by/with/ crystals" and no matter how loose you make your translation, it still stands that it generally means a story that has crystals in it.

Latin is extremely technical and you can't be that loose with translations. "Crystallis" still takes the ablative case even if nominative sounds better.

You're using the second declension alone to dictate what should be the ablative and what should be the nominative. Crystalli has also a case on the parasyllabic rule, in which case, the -Is termination would dictate it as the nominative.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:

You're using the second declension alone to dictate what should be the ablative and what should be the nominative. Crystalli has also a case on the parasyllabic rule, in which case, the -Is termination would dictate it as the nominative.

No, Crystallus means crystal. I'm 100% positive.

Besides, if Crystallis were genitive, it would mean "A New Story of a Crystal" and that's even worse.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

@ dtewi

This theme beats any song from Kingdom Hearts :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQmpWw9DxKc

You can't deny its awesomeness.

Around the Network

Tonberries make me angry...

dtewi said:
lestatdark said:

No, Crystallus means crystal. I'm 100% positive.

Besides, if Crystallis were genitive, it would mean "A New Story of a Crystal" and that's even worse.

Nope, but crystallis does have the same number of syllabels in both the Genitive and in the Nominative, hence why you can consider Crystallis as a nominative and it's termination -Is, instead of the Ablative. 

Anyway, there's too much technicallities involved and probably we could end up arguing all night in here about this xD.

I just don't see why the name sucks, since it's much better than "The crystals are back" from IX XD 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

g-value said:
@ dtewi

This theme beats any song from Kingdom Hearts :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQmpWw9DxKc

You can't deny its awesomeness.

Rebuttal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyrWRgg_6KE

@lestatdark

Yeah, we should stop. It's quite possibly the geekiest thing ever to argue about the Latin translation of a compilations of RPGs.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Shorty11857 said:

Your first priority with any tonberry is to instantly debuff him, since you'll want to break them as fast as you can. Deprotect, Deshell and Imperil are your top priorities, but consider slow too.

After that, use RAV/RAV/RAV for some insane fast chaining, which you'll need, since it has a 666% stagger point

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
Shorty11857 said:

Your first priority with any tonberry is to instantly debuff him, since you'll want to break them as fast as you can. Deprotect, Deshell and Imperil are your top priorities, but consider slow too.

After that, use RAV/RAV/RAV for some insane fast chaining, which you'll need, since it has a 666% stagger point

I can beat them normally it was just that annoying three at once battle, finally beat it by striking them from behind and taking two of them out quickly

I also don't have a Rav/Rav/Rav set up for my main party, I've set to max out any role yet except one for Sazh who I don't like using lol