By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Potential of the Wiimote

For some reason embedding the video is not working right now: 

Really cool, maybe Nintendo should buy the idea from this guy or hire him!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I saw this earlier today. That's a very clever thing, but it won't work as good as the guy suggests. The IR beam will be bouncing off more than just the remote. Like, for instance, your nose, glasses if you have them, nearby objects... So I don't think it'll ever be implemented this way, but I gotta give the guy credit for a very clever way to accomplish what he did.

JMan said:
I saw this earlier today. That's a very clever thing, but it won't work as good as the guy suggests. The IR beam will be bouncing off more than just the remote. Like, for instance, your nose, glasses if you have them, nearby objects... So I don't think it'll ever be implemented this way, but I gotta give the guy credit for a very clever way to accomplish what he did.

Funny you should say that, because the guy in the video does have a nose and glasses!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Yeah as he pointed out in the video it won't reflect off skin from long distances so you would have to use the reflective tape to get more distance.

Very cool idea and I hope Nintendo buys it/hires the guy.

To Each Man, Responsibility

But his nose and glasses weren't within the visual range of the receiver. Do you think he'd show that? I'm sure he...knows....   and glasses reflect really well.

Around the Network

I wonder if the Wii can use any extra points of IR light in programming, so that 3 or four points could be used to manipulate something.

I also think developers should start thinking outside the box a little, i mean this finger tracking thing could work if it was refined greatly, and could open things up....but simple things like not having the sensor bar on top of the TV could be used to change the gameplay experience considerably, I mean what about providing a attachment of some sort to put it on the ceiling, so you could use the remote like a joystick (even though it would still register as pointing to the Wii)

That's really cool, it would cost a developer too much money to fully go deep into it though.

I agree with ArtofAngels.

This idea, though cool, likely wouldn't see implementation until the next iteration of motion sensing consoles. Part of the problem with peripherals is that they usually only work for one or two games. This particular idea would certainly fall in line with that trend. I mean, really, you would have to spend so much time crafting the perfect game to use this style of interactivity, much like developers have spent over a year figuring out how to use the Wiimote.

Next generation? Sure. Nintendo better buy the patent from this guy, though, because if they don't some other major console manufacturers might.

Can someone describe what he did? I can't see it from work 8)

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

it's a great idea, but sadly for nintendo sony patented this set up shortly after learning how the wiimote works.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/14/sonys-newest-motion-sensing-patent/