By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Potential of the Wiimote

JMan said:
But his nose and glasses weren't within the visual range of the receiver. Do you think he'd show that? I'm sure he...knows.... and glasses reflect really well.

After re-watching the video, I don't see that being the case. In terms of angle, you can see at one point (when the camera's behind his back) that his glasses are probably visible by the Wiimote. In terms of distance, he does take his finger quite far from the TV at one point, so I think the glasses would be at about the same distance.

Even if that was a problem, it would probably be possible to correct it in software.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Hawk said:
Can someone describe what he did? I can't see it from work 8)

He sort of uses the Wiimote "in reverse". Instead of having a fixed infrared light emitting device (the sensor bar), the Wiimote stands on top of the TV, together with a small array of IR LEDS. He fits two of his fingers with a small slice of reflective tape which reflects infrared light, which then makes it possible for the Wiimote to track his fingers in thin air. It seems that it might be possible to track more than two fingers in the same way, but he doesn't demo that so I'm not sure.

He uses this technology to perform a small demo of controlling an object on the screen in various ways (zooming by stretching out an imaginary line, moving it by moving a single finger, rotating), similar in behavior to Microsoft Surface.

I'll have to watch it later then. Sounds quite cool

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

kitler53 said:
it's a great idea, but sadly for nintendo sony patented this set up shortly after learning how the wiimote works.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/14/sonys-newest-motion-sensing-patent/

Ew.

that is really cool

Around the Network

That is really nice.

Aren't patents supposed to cover innovations which were implemented, not just thought about?