By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many of your favourite game series are dead?

Slimebeast said:
Staude said:
Wiped said:

...or quite past-it? I was thinking about this, and I was alarmed at how many of mine were. For all the great games out today, it saddens me to realise how many of my favourites have been lost:

1. Pokemon - Alive

2. Gran Turismo - Alive

3. Jak and Daxter - Pretty Dead

4. Worms - Past it

5. LMA Manager - Dead

6. Theme Park - Dead

7. Wipeout - Almost certainly died (or changed forever...) with Studio Liverpool's death this week

8. Uncharted - Alive

9. Guitar Hero - Alive, but for how much longer?

10. Super Mario Galaxy - Alive, but if NSMBWii sells much more, I wonder how many SMGs we'll get in future...

How about you? (Yes, I know my top 10's an odd bunch, lol).

Studio liverpool is not dead. It's merely a restructuring.

Also anyone saying tekken is wrong. Despite it being their own opinion. Tekken 6 is unarguably the best tekken game yet. It is EPIC !

As for mine.. . Well

Command & Conquer would be one. It's been dead since westwood closed.

Heroes of might and magic ? well i thought the 5th game was good.. but too slow .. I'm not sure ubisoft is making a 6th.

Dark Messiah of might and magic. .. It's hands down the best first person game i've played where you could do melee fights. It's truly an astonishing game. Awesome. It didn't sell well though (i think ?) so hopes for a sequal are slim

Universe At War: Earth Assault. Again a truly epic game but very underrated. Microsoft and sega delaying a patch for more than a year destroyed a lot of the online part of the game.. But it's a rts that's even more adverse than starcraft and while it does have a few flaws.. It's definetly one of the best rts games of all time.

I have plenty that are still around. probably a bunch more has died off too.. Anyways.. It's how it is. .. And sometimes the franchises get resurrected and sometimes they don't. Fortunately, most games has a satisfying story and a conclusion if you play them through, so the lack of a continuation of the franchise is often not as bad as it could be.

Heroes of M&M certainly isn't dead.

Dark Messiah, I just watched a ton of 'lets play' videos of it on YouTube last night. I don't know why I skipped that game, probably cos of mediocre reviews. But it looked very good on those walk-throughs. Had bigger variation in environments than I thought too.

I'd be very surprised if Dark Messiah got a sequel.

We haven't heard anything about HoMM in ages... It is pretty dead unfortunately. =( (HoMM3 is one of the best games ever imo.)

Around the Network

Dead ones

1) Baldur's Gate
2) Shining Force
3) Fallout (The Strategy one not the Bethesda Bullshit)
4) Jagged Alliance
5) Shenmue

6)Streets Of Rage

Fei-Hung said:
shinobi and shadow dancer with joe mushashi
wonder boy
alex the kidd
road rage
nights
shenmue
powerstone
silpheed
fighting vipers
streets of rage
classic sonic
rpg mario
after burner
space harrier
panzer dragoon
virtua cop
lylat wars/ star fox
star wars rogue squadron

just to name a few :(

I approve this post!

Sega is a freaking franchise serial killer!

KillerMan said:
Slimebeast said:
Staude said:
Wiped said:

...or quite past-it? I was thinking about this, and I was alarmed at how many of mine were. For all the great games out today, it saddens me to realise how many of my favourites have been lost:

1. Pokemon - Alive

2. Gran Turismo - Alive

3. Jak and Daxter - Pretty Dead

4. Worms - Past it

5. LMA Manager - Dead

6. Theme Park - Dead

7. Wipeout - Almost certainly died (or changed forever...) with Studio Liverpool's death this week

8. Uncharted - Alive

9. Guitar Hero - Alive, but for how much longer?

10. Super Mario Galaxy - Alive, but if NSMBWii sells much more, I wonder how many SMGs we'll get in future...

How about you? (Yes, I know my top 10's an odd bunch, lol).

Studio liverpool is not dead. It's merely a restructuring.

Also anyone saying tekken is wrong. Despite it being their own opinion. Tekken 6 is unarguably the best tekken game yet. It is EPIC !

As for mine.. . Well

Command & Conquer would be one. It's been dead since westwood closed.

Heroes of might and magic ? well i thought the 5th game was good.. but too slow .. I'm not sure ubisoft is making a 6th.

Dark Messiah of might and magic. .. It's hands down the best first person game i've played where you could do melee fights. It's truly an astonishing game. Awesome. It didn't sell well though (i think ?) so hopes for a sequal are slim

Universe At War: Earth Assault. Again a truly epic game but very underrated. Microsoft and sega delaying a patch for more than a year destroyed a lot of the online part of the game.. But it's a rts that's even more adverse than starcraft and while it does have a few flaws.. It's definetly one of the best rts games of all time.

I have plenty that are still around. probably a bunch more has died off too.. Anyways.. It's how it is. .. And sometimes the franchises get resurrected and sometimes they don't. Fortunately, most games has a satisfying story and a conclusion if you play them through, so the lack of a continuation of the franchise is often not as bad as it could be.

Heroes of M&M certainly isn't dead.

Dark Messiah, I just watched a ton of 'lets play' videos of it on YouTube last night. I don't know why I skipped that game, probably cos of mediocre reviews. But it looked very good on those walk-throughs. Had bigger variation in environments than I thought too.

I'd be very surprised if Dark Messiah got a sequel.

We haven't heard anything about HoMM in ages... It is pretty dead unfortunately. =( (HoMM3 is one of the best games ever imo.)

I also liked HOMM2 a lot. No, it's not dead. Ubisoft owns the franchise. Well, they might just exploit the familiar brand and change it to something different that old fans are unhappy with. Who knows. But certainly Ubisoft will use the core brand of HOMM.

Do u member the competitor to HOMM? I mean there are several, but one of the early ones... came around HOMM 2 and it got a sequel. Damn, it's at the tip of my tongue, help me.

Pokemon
Need For Speed
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro the Dragon
Resident Evil
Tekken
Croc
Tomb Raider
Prince of Persia
The Getaway

This is indeed sad.

Around the Network

I'm thinking about buying HoMM3 from GoG! I have heard it is good times.

^ King's Bounty http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=18062&region=All (EDIT: @slimebeast).

Also, they just released an excellent Might & Magic game on DS.

Slimebeast is correct, HoMM is not dead, imo it's like Civilization: A new game every 5 years or so (and I think that's enough).

Ugh, thinking about Panzer Dragoon and Ogre Battle makes me die a little inside each time.

The Getaway series dead...

jarrod said:
Ugh, thinking about Panzer Dragoon and Ogre Battle makes me die a little inside each time.

Part of me still hopes that Square will do something with OB, or at least sell it to Matsuno.