By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Good job Sony, PS3's now profitable! What next?!!! Err....what?

well the dip in profitibility in 2005 is probably because of the PSP, honestly the PS2 was probably making over 500 million a year in 2006 and 2007. I would be shocked if PS3 doesn't account for 6 billion in losses, i wouldn't be surprised by a number up to 7.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

aleusian tell me a game with a narrative similar to ODST than tell me whether it's original or overpriced =P

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

johnsobas said:
well the dip in profitibility in 2005 is probably because of the PSP, honestly the PS2 was probably making over 500 million a year in 2006 and 2007. I would be shocked if PS3 doesn't account for 6 billion in losses, i wouldn't be surprised by a number up to 7.

Strange, i really forgot about the PSP O.O.

Retake: the PSP launch and PS3 R&D were lowering profits for Sony in the 2004-2006 timeframe.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

aleusianacht88 said:
theprof00 said:
johnsobas said:
here i found the link. http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=18269957&postcount=75

The playstation brand only has 264 million in profits left since 1998 as of Q2 2010 financial period, the rest have been erased.

That graph is missing 4 years of data.

Look at the Microsoft part of the graph...I lol'd seriously

lol

anyway, I understand what aleusian is saying Jesus. Now, nobody can prove who paid for what, or to what extent bribery occurs. Everyone could be doing it constantly for all we know. I think the more interesting phenomenon is that MS drilled this distrust into him and many others out there. It's possible MS could have paid for the reviews, or altered the experience psychologically or tangibly.

Additionally,

I don't think anyone will ever find out why ff13 was made multiplat. It pushed the title back more than a couple years (also with the switch to ps3 from ps2) and the whole deal with SE is very shady. Exclusive to ps3 in Japan only??? WHat's going on with them? It's all pretty shady, but it could be due to SE being worried about the small ps3 install base on top of wasted spending on development. I think it's a combination of both.

Anyway alues, you ARE in the wrong. You really don't have any reliable proof for it, but it's not like proof would leak out if it existed. What we know is that payolla does occur in many cases, but not all. You shouldn't make accusations like that here. We are mainly a facts site, so we put proof on a pedestal. If you want to make a statement like that, you should tone it down a bit and say something more like, "I don't trust MS and the scores they get", because that's understandable. I used to say things the way you do when I first got here because I came from Kotaku and 4chan, where flaming runs wild. You'll settle in in a little while.

PS: I also had a griffith avatar for a long time :P

jesus kung fu magic said:
aleusianacht88 said:
theprof00 said:
aleusianacht88 said:
theprof00 said:
Hate to see articles like this come out. It really makes us look bad.

But please, don't use this article as a straw man argument that it's wrong. The facts are correct, based on the evidence. There are a number of links supporting that article if you'd care to thumb through them.
Sony is posting a profit, and it is doing so because the ps3 blew past sales expectations. That's what the first link says. Secondly, this profit is operating profit, which means it includes operating losses and operating income.

Prof this has nothing to do with your post but could you read this and post your opinion of it here?

How about you add in the post I made after than and all the other ones I said too not just pick and choose, the one I posted after that explains everything.

What am I supposed to be commenting on?

I read it but don't understand what the discussion is about.

From my cursory read, some of the points I didn't understand, ie: the greedy saying "that's greedy", but I do know that MS is greedy. I also know that they are super aggressive in the business world and they are very cunning and slick. Hell, they made people happy about 360 despite RROD, that's impressive!

All kidding aside, the post is biased, but then again, everyone is biased to an extent. If you want to post the things I should look at while I'm re-reading it, please do so.

PS: I can't understand wtf the quoted guy in that post is saying "nucky nuk" or whatever his name is.

What I wanted you to read was where he said that MS paid more than 50 million for FF13 and that Halo 3 and ODST's scores were bribed for.

If you read the post after that one I said that the 50 million amount was to be disregarded as I do not know how much Microsoft payed for FFXIII to go multiplat, it was probably even more than 50 million dollars.

I do strongly believe some reviewers were bribed for Halo 3 and most definately with ODST. Isn't it funny how all the big name reviewers IGN, Gamespot, etc gave the game at least an 8 or a 9 and the lesser known ones gave it a 7 at the most? It was overpriced DLC, nothing more!

and you can see Metacritic if you do not believe me along with countless videos on Youtube from 360 owners who have come out and told the truth about ODST and how disappointing it really is, people just like you who own a 360.

You have no proof MS even paid Square to go multiplat...so that point is dead.

If your complaining about an "over-priced DLC's" score than why arent you argueing about an re-release of a ps2 games score (GOW:Collection)?...........another point dead.

You "believe " that halo 3's score was bribed for you know what that means? Its your own opinion that it was bribed for and no facts correlates with your opinion soo........how many more points do I have to kill before you realize you are dead wrong?

You really haven't killed a single one of my points but I commend your effort. You're really just showing me how pro 360 you really are with your complaint about the God of War collection, I don't even like God of War but anybody who has played it or owns it sure doesn't seem disappointed or upset like they do with ODST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80FQvAkkXmI here is an example of what I am talking about, and this guy used to be a Halo fan.

Around the Network

Well this thread is a mess. Given how heated things have gotten, and given that the article is full of inaccuracies (the ps3 outsold the Wii? lol), I'm just going to lock it.

To all those that end up banned in the next few minutes, my apologies.

Getting back to the original topic:

I still believe that Sony gaming division couldn't have made a 1 billion dollar profit if Nintendo didn't. And Ninty only made some 900-something $ according to their financial press release.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

^^^

I wasnt ripping on the GOW collection but your own hypocrisy......its in the same vein as ODST where its just repackaging an old game (but in ODST'S case it added a new campaign and new mode) , with that being said you should also believe that the GOW:Collection was "bribed"....ironic isnt it?

If user-made youtube videos are the best you have then ive more than made up my point........and you can keep calling me pro-360 in fact I am pro-360 but even if I was the worst sony/nintendo fanboy I would still tell you your wrong........all youve done was just use some half-baked opinion and try to pass it on as fact.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

yanamaster said:
theprof00 said:
johnsobas said:
here i found the link. http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=18269957&postcount=75

The playstation brand only has 264 million in profits left since 1998 as of Q2 2010 financial period, the rest have been erased.

That graph is missing 4 years of data.

Additionally, this only covers the gaming division and not the subsequent company branches that profited off of the playstation brand.

Isn't this exactly what you wanted us to show? We gave you solid proof that the PS3 was eating up ps2 and a bit of ps1 profits, not anything else.

Unless you wanted proof that the ps3 was eating up all the profit that Sony is making, i'll answer that one, no it was not. Not a chance in hell for that one.

My point still stands though, you got your proof, right?

Sure, you got me. However, I just want you to understand that I am looking at the broad extent of profits rather than just one division. Your point is valid but so is mine, and if I were tracking a lemonade stand's profits I wouldn't just look at the number of cups sold, but also the tips profit, and the profit from donations to whatever the lemonade stand was supposed to be serving, you know?

However, in this scenario, yes, they only have about 265m left. Which would also mean it ate up all the profits from the PSP as well. Just to be clear, those documents include R&D and additional costs, but do not cover additional profits or acquisitions. For example, Sony IIRC owns a number of manufacturing plants and patents stemming from playstation profits, but the SCE reports we are looking at do not include them as worth, even though they were paid for out of SCE operating costs.