By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Good job Sony, PS3's now profitable! What next?!!! Err....what?

theprof00 said:
aleusianacht88 said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
theprof00 said:
Hate to see articles like this come out. It really makes us look bad.

But please, don't use this article as a straw man argument that it's wrong. The facts are correct, based on the evidence. There are a number of links supporting that article if you'd care to thumb through them.
Sony is posting a profit, and it is doing so because the ps3 blew past sales expectations. That's what the first link says. Secondly, this profit is operating profit, which means it includes operating losses and operating income.

Prof this has nothing to do with your post but could you read this and post your opinion of it here?

How about you add in the post I made after than and all the other ones I said too not just pick and choose, the one I posted after that explains everything.

What am I supposed to be commenting on?

I read it but don't understand what the discussion is about.

From my cursory read, some of the points I didn't understand, ie: the greedy saying "that's greedy", but I do know that MS is greedy. I also know that they are super aggressive in the business world and they are very cunning and slick. Hell, they made people happy about 360 despite RROD, that's impressive!

All kidding aside, the post is biased, but then again, everyone is biased to an extent. If you want to post the things I should look at while I'm re-reading it, please do so.

PS: I can't understand wtf the quoted guy in that post is saying "nucky nuk" or whatever his name is.

What I wanted you to read was where he said that MS paid more than 50 million for FF13 and that Halo 3 and ODST's scores were bribed for.
The whole discussion is here

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
aleusianacht88 said:
theprof00 said:

But please, don't use this article as a straw man argument that it's wrong. The facts are correct, based on the evidence. There are a number of links supporting that article if you'd care to thumb through them.
Sony is posting a profit, and it is doing so because the ps3 blew past sales expectations. That's what the first link says. Secondly, this profit is operating profit, which means it includes operating losses and operating income.

Prof this has nothing to do with your post but could you read this and post your opinion of it here?

How about you add in the post I made after than and all the other ones I said too not just pick and choose, the one I posted after that explains everything.

From my cursory read, some of the points I didn't understand, ie: the greedy saying "that's greedy", but I do know that MS is greedy. I also know that they are super aggressive in the business world and they are very cunning and slick. Hell, they made people happy about 360 despite RROD, that's impressive!

All kidding aside, the post is biased, but then again, everyone is biased to an extent. If you want to post the things I should look at while I'm re-reading it, please do so.

PS: I can't understand wtf the quoted guy in that post is saying "nucky nuk" or whatever his name is.

What I wanted you to read was where he said that MS paid more than 50 million for FF13 and that Halo 3 and ODST's scores were bribed for.

If you read the post after that one I said that the 50 million amount was to be disregarded as I do not know how much Microsoft payed for FFXIII to go multiplat, it was probably even more than 50 million dollars.

I do strongly believe some reviewers were bribed for Halo 3 and most definately with ODST. Isn't it funny how all the big name reviewers IGN, Gamespot, etc gave the game at least an 8 or a 9 and the lesser known ones gave it a 7 at the most? It was overpriced DLC, nothing more!

and you can see Metacritic if you do not believe me along with countless videos on Youtube from 360 owners who have come out and told the truth about ODST and how disappointing it really is, people just like you who own a 360.

here i found the link. http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=18269957&postcount=75

The playstation brand only has 264 million in profits left since 1998 as of Q2 2010 financial period, the rest have been erased.

edit: that's 4.7 billion in losses which can pretty much only be from the PS3.  The real number is probably much larger, the ps2 and psp have been offsetting losses the whole time. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

yanamaster said:
theprof00 said:
mhsillen said:

You are just wrong

Do you understand how much it cost for R And D assembly shipping and how much they lost on each console

And how poor it started? 

Is this guy a comedian?

I don't know who's whispering in your ear.

It's just sad that I'm too lazy to rip your argument and you apart......not like it would change your mind.

But Prof, he is right you know, the PS3 r&d, production and loss selling ate up all profits fro the ps1 and ps2 and added an extra billion or two in losses, we have financial statements from the last 6 years to prove that.....just don't ask me to find them, it's 2 in the morning in Poland and i'm a bit drunk :)

I haven't seen anything to the like of those statements. I've seen "all of ps2 and a good portion of ps1", but not that. If he is right, he is right, but if he is the one with the missing information then he should provide those. I'm not going to sift through the internet looking for his "fact".

johnsobas said:
here i found the link. http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=18269957&postcount=75

The playstation brand only has 264 million in profits left since 1998 as of Q2 2010 financial period, the rest have been erased.

That graph is missing 4 years of data.

Additionally, this only covers the gaming division and not the subsequent company branches that profited off of the playstation brand.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
johnsobas said:

Look at the Microsoft part of the graph...I lol'd seriously

theprof00 said:
johnsobas said:

Additionally, this only covers the gaming division and not the subsequent company branches that profited off of the playstation brand.

there is no graph with further data.  That's why i said since 1998. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

aleusianacht88 said:
theprof00 said:
aleusianacht88 said:
theprof00 said:

If you read the post after that one I said that the 50 million amount was to be disregarded as I do not know how much Microsoft payed for FFXIII to go multiplat, it was probably even more than 50 million dollars.

I do strongly believe some reviewers were bribed for Halo 3 and most definately with ODST. Isn't it funny how all the big name reviewers IGN, Gamespot, etc gave the game at least an 8 or a 9 and the lesser known ones gave it a 7 at the most? It was overpriced DLC, nothing more!

and you can see Metacritic if you do not believe me along with countless videos on Youtube from 360 owners who have come out and told the truth about ODST and how disappointing it really is, people just like you who own a 360.

You have no proof MS even paid Square to go multiplat...so that point is dead.

If your complaining about an "over-priced DLC's" score than why arent you argueing about an re-release of a ps2 games score (GOW:Collection)?...........another point dead.

You "believe " that halo 3's score was bribed for you know what that means? Its your own opinion that it was bribed for and no facts correlates with your opinion soo........how many more points do I have to kill before you realize you are dead wrong?

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

theprof00 said:
yanamaster said:
theprof00 said:
mhsillen said:

You are just wrong

Do you understand how much it cost for R And D assembly shipping and how much they lost on each console

And how poor it started? 

Is this guy a comedian?

I don't know who's whispering in your ear.

It's just sad that I'm too lazy to rip your argument and you apart......not like it would change your mind.

But Prof, he is right you know, the PS3 r&d, production and loss selling ate up all profits fro the ps1 and ps2 and added an extra billion or two in losses, we have financial statements from the last 6 years to prove that.....just don't ask me to find them, it's 2 in the morning in Poland and i'm a bit drunk :)

I haven't seen anything to the like of those statements. I've seen "all of ps2 and a good portion of ps1", but not that. If he is right, he is right, but if he is the one with the missing information then he should provide those. I'm not going to sift through the internet looking for his "fact".

I was looking for the numbers but johnsobas beat me to it. Notice how from 2004 the profit decreases and on ps3 launch year  it was not even 70 million, after that it's huge losses.

What made the profits smaller? In years 2004-2006 it was rd that was chunking at the profits, what else? The ps2 was very strong in 2004 up till 2006 when production of the ps3 sent the whole thing to hell, later it's pure massacre with 2 years of over 1 billion $ losses.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

theprof00 said:
johnsobas said:

Isn't this exactly what you wanted us to show? We gave you solid proof that the PS3 was eating up ps2 and a bit of ps1 profits, not anything else.

Unless you wanted proof that the ps3 was eating up all the profit that Sony is making, i'll answer that one, no it was not. Not a chance in hell for that one.

My point still stands though, you got your proof, right?

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.