By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Holy Hell hardware adjustments!

PlaystaionGamer said:
funny this huge adjustment as SONY about 1 year ago said how mant they has Sold (not shipped) and it was over a million higher then what VGcharts had it at.....so now the PS3 is 2million units down from what it has actualy sold..lol GREAT!

Wii just hit 67million, SOLD not shipped

so now the numbers are even more off

Those figures were for a month ago. VGC has the Wii at ~65.5 million (ending Jan 02) with 67.5 million Wiis shipped, seems reasonable.

Regionally the Wii has VGC looking like:

Am: 30.78mil sold, 32.02 shipped
JP: 9.68mil sold, 9.72 shipped (we have Famitsu / MC in this region)
TO: 25.10mil sold, 25.71 shipped

The gap in others seems too small compared to Americas (or vise versa), but who knows.

When do we get Sony's financial statement anyway?

Around the Network
ioi said:
Adjustments were for Scandinavia and other Europe, going back over 3-4 years. Data is very hard to track accurately in those regions and these latest Nintendo graphs show how much we were overstating figures in those regions... across the board

So this huge adjustment was based solely on Nintendo's report? Just curious

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

PlaystaionGamer said:
funny this huge adjustment as SONY about 1 year ago said how mant they has Sold (not shipped) and it was over a million higher then what VGcharts had it at.....so now the PS3 is 2million units down from what it has actualy sold..lol GREAT!

Shipped = to warehouse. Sold = to retailer. Sellthrough = to consumer.

Rath said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

Shipped = to warehouse. Sold = to retailer. Sellthrough = to consumer.

For Sony anyway.

PlaystaionGamer said:

did not sony say themselves they have sold over 32m ps3's compared to shipped 35m ps3's vgcharts is wrong, they have taken too much off the figures I am sure.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network

Aren't figures coming out soon for all the console builders? If so, then no point in arguing whether ioi is right or not.

jneul said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

did not sony say themselves they have sold over 32m ps3's compared to shipped 35m ps3's vgcharts is wrong, they have taken too much off the figures I am sure.

Sold = sold to retailiers.

Shipped = produced.

For Sony.  It's ridiculious but that's the terms they use.

It's in any of their financial reports back when they used to report "shipped."

Kasz216 said:
jneul said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

Shipped = produced.

wait hasn't this argument been done before??

i always thought shipped ment sold to retailer, and the sold statement meant sold to customer, but i don't wan't to start an argument or anything, so we shall just leave it at that.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:
Kasz216 said:
jneul said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

Shipped = produced.

wait hasn't this argument been done before??

i always thought shipped ment sold to retailer, and the sold statement meant sold to customer, but i don't wan't to start an argument or anything, so we shall just leave it at that.

Not to Sony.  Check Sony's financial reports.

It's not really an arguement no offense... it's stated clearly in their finanical reports... before like... 2008-9ish... since then they've been reporting "sales" which were to the stores.

Unless Sony says "Sales to End Users" or "Consumers" i'd treat anything they say as to stores until proven otherwise as it's consistant with their financial reporting.

Even if they say Customers... since the stores are in fact their Customers.

No need for an argument, all the major manufacturers use the term 'sold' to refer to sold through to the retailers as for them that is indeed a sale. The retailer buys the console off of the manufacturer.

A lot of confusion comes from when Sony used to report figures that were to their own warehouses and hadn't actually been sold to a retailer, which they no longer do.

The manufacturers don't have 100% accurate sellthrough sales and so don't usually report them, merely commenting on people like NPD's reports.

At least thats my understanding of the business.