By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Holy Hell hardware adjustments!

ioi I am gonna... I am gonna bold your addendum to the OP, so it's a bit easier to see

Around the Network

Good adjustment.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Interesting fine details I notice from the adjustments in the last 24 yrs (for PS3 because I don't really remember 360, Wii, DS or PSP numbers for more than about 2 hours). While LTD PS3 numbers have been adjusted down, the most recent PS3 numbers (other than the very latest) have been adjusted up in the last 24 hrs:

- For WE 3 Jan 2010 the PS3 sales were 505K when I looked previously (a couple of days ago after the first major adjusments), now its 510K.

-  for WE 10 Jan I'm sure the first adjustment had it at about 280ish K, now it's 291K

- for WE 17 Jan I recall 210K, now it's 212K

By contrast the 2 biggest weeks of 2009 for PS3 have dropped further still, pretty much wiping out the above very small upward movements.

I thought it was interesting to see adjustments are more subtle than simply an across the board bumping up or down of numbers.

If I'm not mistaken it seems PS3 adjustments post-slim have still only seen a drop of around 200K or less. And the pre-slim 360-PS3 gap has increased further from 8.25 million prior to adjustments to 8.44 million as of yesterday to 8.55 million today. Today's PS3-360 gap stands at 5.93 million, up from, what, 5.5 million as of a week ago? Most of that change is due to a change in "starting" conditions at the time of slim launch. If my memory isn't totally off the relative difference in PS3 sales vs 360 sales since september has only changed by about 180K. Over both consoles, sales for the post slim period is about 15 million. Adjusting relative sales by 180K during this period is almost inconsequential.

That people have been so trembly lipped (or full of gloating) over a 180K change in position between PS3 and 360 in the last 4 months is laughable. That people should be upset or defensive (or exuberant) about phat sales being bumped down seems to be equally inexplicable. People became animated by what seemed to be maor alterations, but looking at the finer detail  of the adjustments the changes are within reasonable tolerances. VGC was and still is in the right ballpark with its figures. The ballpark accuracy is what's truly important for VGC credibility. The sales precision forum discussions get down to can never be the standard by which VGC shold be judged because people start making big deals over relatively small ESTIMATED sales differences.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Khuutra said:
ioi I am gonna... I am gonna bold your addendum to the OP, so it's a bit easier to see

Its good to curry favour with the boss...

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Twistedpixel said:
Khuutra said:

Would you prefer it if I said "Brett listen nobody is going to see that, I am gonna bold it for you but next time you should bold it"?

It's just not in my genes

Around the Network

M M M M M MELTDOWN! Some of the reactions to these adjustments are funny, shame about the bannings though. :( Tough luck for the people banned i suppose. Mind you, i suppose some people take the estimates far too seriously. As far as i am concerned, adjustments that make the site more accurate can only be a good thing. Not ONLY a good thing when it goes in favour of your console of choice. Those who have used this site to view figures before, then attack the credibility of this site when adjustments go against their console of choice need to think about one thing. Did you moan about the numbers when you were satisfied with the sales estimations of the past? Did you moan about this site's acuracy then? I, for one would love to see more detailed proper sales data, such as from countries like China India and Russia. Would love to know if they were growing markets, gaining worldwide percentages and what their percentages of WW sales were at the moment .In future these could be hugely important markets for the big 3 . That sort of thing would interest me.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Falcon095 said:
Carl2291 said:
Killergran said:
After calculating a bit more, I found that the second change was:

Wii - UP 160k
PS3 - UP 330k
Xbox - UP 470k

Bringing the total of this round of adjustments to:

Wii - UP 140k
PS3 - DOWN 820k
Xbox - DOWN 180k

Im shocked that one console can be overtracked by so much...

Will be interesting to see if there are any future adjustments after shipment numbers come in.

The Wii was adjusted down for about 1m last year, and I assure you that the meltdown wasn't nearly as big as this.. infact, many people were happy

i suspect nintendo fans reacted much like ps2 fans would have last gen

not to mention the fact that nintendo fans were given the courtesy of an announcement(read the comments) before the adjustments were made

for me it's not a big deal, i would have been more upset if the canucks lost to the leafs last night, but i can understand the reaction of some considering that this came right out of the blue with no explanation till ioi posted in this thread

Khuutra said:
Twistedpixel said:
Khuutra said:

Would you prefer it if I said "Brett listen nobody is going to see that, I am gonna bold it for you but next time you should bold it"?

It's just not in my genes

Not Italian?

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

binary solo said:

Interesting fine details I notice from the adjustments in the last 24 yrs (for PS3 because I don't really remember 360, Wii, DS or PSP numbers for more than about 2 hours). While LTD PS3 numbers have been adjusted down, the most recent PS3 numbers (other than the very latest) have been adjusted up in the last 24 hrs:

- For WE 3 Jan 2010 the PS3 sales were 505K when I looked previously (a couple of days ago after the first major adjusments), now its 510K.

-  for WE 10 Jan I'm sure the first adjustment had it at about 280ish K, now it's 291K

The ORIGINALLY reported numbers for those weeks were:

3 jan   = 514 800
10 jan = 301 755
17 jan = 223 895

Perhaps when you looked they had been adjusted down, and are now adjusted up again. Not sure. But I do keep a record of all the original numbers. Just for reference.

This is invisible text!

Killergran said:
binary solo said:

The ORIGINALLY reported numbers for those weeks were:

3 jan   = 514 800
10 jan = 301 755
17 jan = 223 895

Perhaps when you looked they had been adjusted down, and are now adjusted up again. Not sure. But I do keep a record of all the original numbers. Just for reference.

Yes, that's correct, the first downward adjustment has been modified upwards slightly. Thanks for those original numbers. So over those 3 weeks we have an aggregate downward adjustment of about 21K over a total sales volume of slightly over 1 million (or ~2% adjustment); outrageously inaccurate wouldn't you say?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix