By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Holy Hell hardware adjustments!

Seece said:
ioi said:
Adjustments were for Scandinavia and other Europe, going back over 3-4 years. Data is very hard to track accurately in those regions and these latest Nintendo graphs show how much we were overstating figures in those regions... across the board

How do Nintendo know how much Microsoft and Sony have sold?

Does anyone know when Sony announce their figures?

from Nitnendo's Investor Relations page (which no one likes to read)

"So far, the graphs I was using were reflecting Nintendo's pan-European estimates based upon the sell-thru data gathered by independent research companies in Europe."

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
nordlead said:
Seece said:
ioi said:
Adjustments were for Scandinavia and other Europe, going back over 3-4 years. Data is very hard to track accurately in those regions and these latest Nintendo graphs show how much we were overstating figures in those regions... across the board

"So far, the graphs I was using were reflecting Nintendo's pan-European estimates based upon the sell-thru data gathered by independent research companies in Europe."

WOW, so ... do we know these "Research companys"?

I'm not so sure certain folks would be complaining about the accuracy of the site if the adjustments were adding numbers to certain consoles' totals as opposed to taking away from certain consoles' totals.

Why is this anything new? Adjustments happen as more information is made available. I'm sure its all done in the name of trying to get numbers as close and accurate as possible.

What is the big frickin' deal?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Katilian said:

Is it really that big an inaccuracy? I personally assume VGChartz has an error margin of around 10% (though I'd wish they'd publish what they feel their margin of error is) and I don't think that is particularly unreasonable, especially in others. Just look at the comparisons between Famitsu and Media Create. There are often times their numbers differ by 10% or more, and they are only tracking a single country, not multiple countries across multiple continents.

They did, afaik +/-15% on weekly basis, that's around +/-3% (I'm too lazy to do the math) on yearly basis.

People are overreacting after these adjustments have been made.

Arius Dion said:
I'm not so sure certain folks would be complaining about the accuracy of the site if the adjustments were adding numbers to certain consoles' totals as opposed to taking away from certain consoles' totals.

Why is this anything new? Adjustments happen as more information is made available. I'm sure its all done in the name of trying to get numbers as close and accurate as possible.

No you're right, because with Microsoft announcing 39 million shipped, it makes more sense for it to be adjusted upwards, not downwards.

Around the Network

Not to sound like a troll or anything, but i knew something like this was going to happen. And it wont be the last time.

Arius Dion said:

its not that vgc makes adjustments, vgc usually does adjust its numbers every now and then. the issue being brought up is the  size  of the adjustment. a few dozen thousands is understandable but  a few million? over a million for ps3, almost a million for xbox360 and over 2 million for the psp? those numbers aren't something to sneeze at.

its like re-counting the ballots in an election and saying  "woops obama didn't win, clinton did..."

Seece said:
nordlead said:
Seece said:
ioi said:

WOW, so ... do we know these "Research companys"?

try going to the page (type Investor relation Nintendo in google). Yes, it is GFK and so forth. If you are trying to discredit Nintendo you won't be capable of it. Nintendo isn't allowed to "make up" numbers. I don't know what you are trying to argue here.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

(Pauses meltdown)

Huge announcements yesterday. Major adjustments today.

Been an exciting couple of days on VGChartz...

(And now back to the meltdown...)

ils411 said:
Arius Dion said:

its not that vgc makes adjustments, vgc usually does adjust its numbers every now and then. the issue being brought up is the  size  of the adjustment. a few dozen thousands is understandable but  a few million? over a million for ps3, almost a million for xbox360 and over 2 million for the psp? those numbers aren't something to sneeze at.

its like re-counting the ballots in an election and saying  "woops obama didn't win, clinton did..."

actually, no it isn't. VGChartz (like any tracking firm) uses estimates and always has and always will. elections are an actual count, there are no estimates other than what the media estimates based off the current count.

anyways, these adjustments really aren't that big either (in the total scope, but they are pretty big for the specific regions) 1m over the lifetime of the PS3 is only a 3% adjustment for total figures. 2m over the lifetime of the PSP is closer to 4%.