By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - is the english language ruining your language?

halogamer1989 said:
toastboy44562 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
No, but Spanish is ruining much of the US.

this

Pretty much... ¡Viva ingles!

yep.

Around the Network

I am English and I like my language

French =/= Anglo-Saxon (Old English)

Language already "ruined".

No, english is ruining itself. Just take a look at the text messages people send each other.

indodude said:
halogamer1989 said:
toastboy44562 said:
Sephiroth357 said:
No, but Spanish is ruining much of the US.

this

Pretty much... ¡Viva ingles!

yep.

Huh?  What's this supposed to mean?  How is a language ruining a country?

Around the Network

other countries know English,better than The United States.

@ OP's story: I personally think German and English are very similar languages anyway. I don't think English is polluting their language, it's just that the two have similar influences and backgrounds, and have also evolved together.

Modern words tend to be similar the world over too. If I go to a people who speak foreign languages and say the word "water", not many people would recognise that word. However, if I say to many people who speak other languages the word "Computer" or "Internet" they would have a better chance of understanding what I mean.

Meh.

No, spanish in my country(Chile) is already ruined since we speak poorly even our own language(in terms of variety of words, you could argue spanish has evolved differently in each country it is speaken so it wouildnt be downgraded even if we change it from what Spain brought to america).

Also, We arent close to the US or the UK so we dont speak like some that talk some sort of spangish which I dislike to some degree.

There are words we say in English but that is the same with French our maybe Italian, so I guess you cant just blame english if I considered it a bad thing.

Not really. While it certainly has a noticeable effect, ie. loan words, anglicisms and english expressions being used over their native counterparts etc. it has never really become a "threat" - especially since some of our native dialects already sound horribly broken whne compared to the "basic" language.

The only thing that can really threaten the Finnish language is substandard education.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

It simply means that the world is becoming smaller. Languages are becoming less of a barrier, and that should be a good thing.