By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Speculation: Is "The Last Story" an FF game that Sakaguchi can call his own

This isn't the thread about the announcement (that's here). This is wondering how much this game might be Sakaguchi doing a Final Fantasy game, just avoiding the obvious copyright issues.

Now this could not be true at all, and the name could be a coincidence. But assuming this is "Gooch's" intention, how much like FF will it be?

The range could be anything from Wonderboy=Adventure Island (and I think I'll make a few jokes in my comic about that)*, or just that he keeps some general themes and aspects.

Frankly I wouldn't mind a game that played like FF9 (his favorite, at least from the 5th and 6th gens), just with skippable cut scenes (even the text ones) for replays, and a better gameplay flow.

* Although Captain SNES did joke with a similar thing, the "16-bit Theatre" arc, where we saw the antics of "Warrior", "Rogue", "Dark Wizard", and "Crimson Wizard".

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

You skip cut scenes? Unless you're talking about repeats-after-losing-to-a-hard-boss, you're banned from playing RPGs, forever.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

blaydcor said:
You skip cut scenes? Unless you're talking about repeats-after-losing-to-a-hard-boss, you're banned from playing RPGs, forever.

I didn't say I wouldn't watch the cut scenes. I meant for replays. Duh.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

blaydcor said:

Lol, totally.

@topic: Lost Odyssey.

To be blunt, I don't give a F***; its Nintendo and Mistwalker!!! OMGWTFBBQ

But seriously, I trust that with Nintendo at the helm, it will be an effective RPG. I don't think FF9 sold as much as its predecessors, but regardless of that, Ninty will take "Gooch"'s form and make it appeal to a wider demographic somehow. Not by "casualizing" it, but giving themes or a presentation that more people will accept.

Nintendo stated before they wanted an RPG to compete with an FF, so this might/is* be it. Xenoblade is a different beast altogether. They really want to revitalize the Japanese market. Dropping two RPGs with years of dev time is a surefire way of doing it.

Just when I thought they were lazy LOL, they announce two titles in genres which require some of the most work of any games.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

"Just when I thought they were lazy LOL, they announce two titles in genres which require some of the most work of any games."

What would they be lazy about? They're doing their best to secure gaming's future. That's about making the most appealing games, not effort.

GTA IV had far more effort than any of the PS2 GTA games (won't claim it's combined though), but the sales showed which had more appeal.

I'm curious as to what some "professional" sites have to say about these announcements, and the meltdown and spin when - at least The Last Story - sells millions.

The thing is, what makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy?
Pretty much (a) it's a fantasy RPG and (b) it has (usually) most of: Cid, Moogles, Chocobos, common nomenclature for spells, items, summons, some music, etc.

So Final Fantasies are basically totally unique fantasy RPG's tied together by ultimately superfluous elements.

So what would make what will obviously be a fantasy RPG an "unnamed" Final Fantasy versus just, well, a stand alone RPG?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Also, nicknaming him "Gooch", probably not a good idea. Hit up urbandictionary.

"Also, nicknaming him "Gooch", probably not a good idea. Hit up urbandictionary."

That's actually a nickname gaming sites have given him. So you take that up with them.

Besides, slang makes anything dirty.