By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mass Effect 2 sells 2 million copies in week one

I think he was talking worldwide

so basically we have approximately 2 million shipped worldwide and approximately 1.3 million sold first week, very impressive

My current Soul Silver Team:

Around the Network
daggy said:
Twistedpixel said:

You'd have to sell a lot of copies to make any appreciable money at $10-15.

Not as many as you'd think, especially in today's Digital Distribution.

I remember when Garry's Mod sold 35k in 8 days on Steam when it was 50% Off ($5). Now imagine how much Mass Effect sold at $5, from a 75% Off promotion, which happened several times on Steam and D2D.

Mass Effect probably already reached 500k on PC, and who knows how much it will still sell. It still has many years of sales ahead.

Even if it sold 5 million copies during that $5 sale, its probably less than $20M in the hand for EA. Which I must add is both an unrealistic figure and less than 1/4 of the revenue they will make at full price on the Xbox 360.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

CGI-Quality said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:
So between the two platforms it did 2 million? Nice! And so well deserved IMO.

Sorry buddy, the most I am expecting PC to do in the long run is 300,000 copies at best for Mass Effect 2. The rest is 360, because a lot of PC owners already had Mass Effect 2 days before launch.  

BUT...............it did 2 million between the two platforms, which is all I'm saying.

Thats's got to be the worst reply to a post I've ever seen.

That guy needs to stay off the glue.

Great numbers, great for the next ME.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

selnor said:

What the hell?

People are saying the PC version sold more????????????????

Looking at history for Mass Effect 1, the PC version accounts for less than 400,000. ME1 was released on 360 on 20 Nov 2007. Up to May 2008 when the PC version released the 360 version had sold 1.8 million copies. ME1 currently sits at 2.13 million. So that means PC accounts for anywhere between 200,000 to 300,000 of ME1. Now also notice that there is no spike on the PC release week here ( week 33 ).

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?game1=MassEffect - X360[7635]

Going by this logic, and exactly the same logic as with Gears Of War 1. It would suggest that over 80% of sales are on the 360. Because 1. Only 300,000 or less have ME1 saves on PC for ME2 and 2. All the previous cross over sales for any big 360/PC game show 360 having 80+% of the sales.

So my guess is 360 ME2 has sold between 1.2 and 1.4 million in the US, and PC will have sold around 50-180,000.

Also these figures are not counting EU sales. Because it came out here today.

I am sure there are millions already on the PC version of Mass Effect 2. The minority are the ones who purchased it though.

Around the Network
daggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
daggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
daggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:

Sorry buddy, the most I am expecting PC to do in the long run is 300,000 copies at best for Mass Effect 2. The rest is 360, because a lot of PC owners already had Mass Effect 2 days before launch.  

I know the pre-orders for PC were great, but that's not where PC gamers buy the most (not even close). Mass Effect 2 will sell on PC for years and years, just like any PC game. Infact, I bet that it will also sell a buttload on PC even when it's only priced at $5 (just like ME1 did).

The first Mass Effect sold a buttload on PC? The sales weren't even listed. The 2 million + sales that were listed were all 360.

Why do you think EA gave themselves the trouble of renegociating the contract with Microsoft to allow ME2 release day 1 on PC?

Probably because Bioware makes PC/Console titles?

Huh?! they would release ME2 on PC either way, but EA renegotiated with Microsft so that they could release it on PC day 1.

I doubt Microsoft would have a problem with a PC version being made. They published PC games before they even joined the gaming war. If you want to know what they would be arguing with EA about, it would be about a PS3 version.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
daggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
daggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
daggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:

I know the pre-orders for PC were great, but that's not where PC gamers buy the most (not even close). Mass Effect 2 will sell on PC for years and years, just like any PC game. Infact, I bet that it will also sell a buttload on PC even when it's only priced at $5 (just like ME1 did).

The first Mass Effect sold a buttload on PC? The sales weren't even listed. The 2 million + sales that were listed were all 360.

Why do you think EA gave themselves the trouble of renegociating the contract with Microsoft to allow ME2 release day 1 on PC?

Huh?! they would release ME2 on PC either way, but EA renegotiated with Microsft so that they could release it on PC day 1.

I doubt Microsoft would have a problem with a PC version being made. They published PC games before they even joined the gaming war. If you want to know what they would be arguing with EA about, it would be about a PS3 version.

it is a known fact that Pc versions eat sales from the console versions, which is the main reason why Microsoft stopped making PC games. An Microsoft exec even once said that if they had released Halo on PC same time as on Xbox, 80% of the sales of the game would be from the PC version in germany.

I think its officially confirmed there will be a 3rd

daggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
daggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
daggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
daggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:

it is a known fact that Pc versions eat sales from the console versions, which is the main reason why Microsoft stopped making PC games. An Microsoft exec even once said that if they had released Halo on PC same time as on Xbox, 80% of the sales of the game would be from the PC version in germany.

Yes, PC sales matters so much that Gamestop barely cares about PC games anymore and NPD rarely ever lists the sales of PC versions of hot titles with console counterparts.

Microsoft were talking specifically about Germany. Where the pc market is bigger then the console market. That same cannot be said about the rest of the world (bar a few select countries).

Considering the delay between the 360 and pc release of mass effect I very much doubt the sales would be very close.