By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to post Y100 bln OP profit in Oct-Dec.

Kasz216 said:
Crazymann said:
Yay Sony!

How could anyone see this as a bad thing? I don't even like Sony (other than PS3), and this is good. Money = jobs (eventually).

Go Stringer!

I don't think anyone sees it as a BAD thing.  Just not an indication of a good thing yet... since this doesn't gurantee net profits.

Though the fact that they aren't guranteed net losses itself is a good thing, even based on a prediction.

It'd be like for example, if you had a kid who got straight As, then got into drugs or depressed or something then started getting F's... then the next semester he had a C for his first grade. 

There is no gurantee he won't still flunk out, but there is hope he'll pull a gentlemenly C.

Oh I totally agree.  But... even the possibility of profit is a vast improvement over the last few quarters.  I am just happy for a turnaround.

Plus, I would like to see Sir Howard stick around.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
rafichamp said:
Its confirmed that their games division is profitable. No one can say Sony is broke now. Sony is only going up from here with their games division becoming more and more profitable and their 3D tv's coming out.

1- Nothing is confirmed, this is just a prediction of Sony's results (even if it's a prediction from a quite good source, which it is).

2- Profitability in the holiday quarter is much easier than general profitability.

While this is good news if it holds up, it's not as good as you make it look.

It's almost 100% confirmed.....this is just a preveiw for next week's financial statements, and these preveiws happen frequently and are almost always accurate

Crazymann said:
Kasz216 said:
Crazymann said:
Yay Sony!

How could anyone see this as a bad thing? I don't even like Sony (other than PS3), and this is good. Money = jobs (eventually).

Go Stringer!

I don't think anyone sees it as a BAD thing.  Just not an indication of a good thing yet... since this doesn't gurantee net profits.

Though the fact that they aren't guranteed net losses itself is a good thing, even based on a prediction.

It'd be like for example, if you had a kid who got straight As, then got into drugs or depressed or something then started getting F's... then the next semester he had a C for his first grade. 

There is no gurantee he won't still flunk out, but there is hope he'll pull a gentlemenly C.

Oh I totally agree.  But... even the possibility of profit is a vast improvement over the last few quarters.  I am just happy for a turnaround.

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious all of this stuff really wasn't his fault but the diehards who had two much inbuilt power.

Nice to see them finally turning it around... as I'd really perfer a PS4 to no PS4.

Kasz216 said:
Crazymann said:
Kasz216 said:
Crazymann said:
Yay Sony!

Go Stringer!

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious all of this stuff really wasn't his fault but the diehards who had two much inbuilt power.

Nice to see them finally turning it around... as I'd really perfer a PS4 to no PS4.

No doubt there.  Though I am worried that BC may be off the table now - which would be sad - but thats a topic for another thread.

halil23 said:
hudsoniscool said:
NFreak said:
I do believe Sony will continue to gain momentum for awhile longer, so it's only a matter of time before people are forced to admit it's victory over the 360. They won't be able to spin the numbers any other way. :P

the ps3 has not even come close to victory over 360. its lost like 5 billion dollars and increasing while 360 has lost like a billion dollars and decreasing. so far off from a victory it can almost be said the other way.

WRONG!!!

Last time I checked it was something like Sony : 3-4 bil while M$ - 5-6 bil!!! (don't you dare exclude the original xbox money waster again)

@ OP, hope this is true, or better yet Sony surpasses Nikkei expectation.

Sony been at it finest in 2009, bring great gaming totruegamers. And I'm sure Sony will top it this year!

Sorry but this is completely wrong. Some of us have done the exact math, and while I don't remember the exact results, Sony has lost about 5-5.5 billion on the PS3  thus far, and MS has lost something around 2.5 (like 2.513 or something). Something to note, the MS numbers are for the EDD since 360 development (which you can find if you go through the annual reports), but the Sony number is provided by Sony itself.

Also, it's now more like 2.138 for the EDD, and MS has been posting profit for the EDD for a while now (almost a year I believe). Sony's game division has yet to post profit, and while it's quite likely they may (either very soon, or in a few more months), it still hasn't happened yet. And it's important to note the fact that MS is profiting more and more (even with a 12% decrease in revenue) and Sony has yet to post profit in relation to the PS3.

So it's very silly to even try and argue that Sony is even close before anyone needs to "admit PS3's victory over the 360". Frankly, in terms of profit, I'm not so sure it's even possible for Sony to get 2nd place this generation. Revenue, totally possible, but profit? It's so unlikely at this point. They'd have to make an extra 3.5ish billion in profit over MS (keyword extra), and considering MS is one of the most profitable companies, I just don't see it happening.

@OP, Good for Sony! Hope they can keep it up, and push the momentum further.

Around the Network
Browser fail part 1 -.-

Ugh double fail, my browser messed up and caused some kind of multi-click -.-

justinian said:
kowenicki said:
leo-j said:

kowenicki seriously can you  be happy that they are making money? Do you have to ALWAYS spin it against them? Do you hate them that much?

read my posts properly first... and then post a response.

I have said it IS good news, I have just advised caution as a rumour of an operating profit confirms nothing.  one its a rumour and two it is an operating profit not a net profit.

dont be so defensive on all things sony.

That must have been hard to do...saying it is good news that is.

The 375m profit posted by MS's entertainment department is also OPERATIONAL.

Funny you didn't bother to point this out to anyone posting in the MS profits thread but every two bleedin' seconds you bring it up here.

If leo is defensive all things sony what about you and microsoft?

He may not have pointed this out because, Microsoft hasn't had to borrow any money to stay in business.

Sony has had to borrow millions and millions of Dollars to stay afloat and they have to pay it back, so there is a major difference in Operational costs.

On Topic:

This is good news for Sony overall.  Hopefully they will be able to keep this up throughout the remainder of the PS4's life.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Thank for the feed back every one I learned a lot just by reading your comments about this well excluding the nonesense from others and yeh good for Sony their finally getting back to the right direction.

Kowenicki I do not care for sony's money issues, I am here because I am just curious as to what people think of this information after sony have lost so much money as a whole in the past couple of reports.

I decided to respond to your post because I'm honestly getting tired of your crap and hatred towards sony and the ps3 in every single thread. I hope I'm not the only one that points this out, and I'm sorry that I am targeting you, but its consistent, and just reading your posts makes it seem like you have stern hatred towards sony and the ps3, I don't know if its just me, but that's what it seems like.

mM