By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to post Y100 bln OP profit in Oct-Dec.

NJ5 said:
rafichamp said:
Its confirmed that their games division is profitable. No one can say Sony is broke now. Sony is only going up from here with their games division becoming more and more profitable and their 3D tv's coming out.

1- Nothing is confirmed, this is just a prediction of Sony's results (even if it's a prediction from a quite good source, which it is).

2- Profitability in the holiday quarter is much easier than general profitability.

While this is good news if it holds up, it's not as good as you make it look.

Yes, but it could turn out to be no where near as bad as many predicted.

After the huge billion$ losses Sony took over the last year this - if correct - is "not so good"?

Christmas? The analysts took christmas into account along with the cost-cutting restructuring sony did and still forecasted a major loss for the quarter.

You know what, I am beginning to think that even if Sony posted a trillion$ profit there are those like yourself who will still call it a poor result, just because it is sony.

Vice versa if nintendo or MS made only 50cent  profit it would be still be a marvelous result.

I thought you were more balanced than that.

Around the Network
halil23 said:
hudsoniscool said:
NFreak said:
I do believe Sony will continue to gain momentum for awhile longer, so it's only a matter of time before people are forced to admit it's victory over the 360. They won't be able to spin the numbers any other way. :P

the ps3 has not even come close to victory over 360. its lost like 5 billion dollars and increasing while 360 has lost like a billion dollars and decreasing. so far off from a victory it can almost be said the other way.

WRONG!!!

Last time I checked it was something like Sony : 3-4 bil while M$ - 5-6 bil!!! (don't you dare exclude the original xbox money waster again)

@ OP, hope this is true, or better yet Sony surpasses Nikkei expectation.

Sony been at it finest in 2009, bring great gaming totruegamers. And I'm sure Sony will top it this year!

Please tell me your a joke account, can anyone seriously be that blind? Are you so much of a fanboy that you think only Sony fanboys are true gamers?

Don't even get into an argument about losses. Not only did the PS3 completely wipe away every single cent of profit Sony made on the PS2, to compare Sony to MS in financials is a joke. MS has never, and I mean never posted a loss. That is far far more impressive than Sony. MS just posted a record quarter with $350 million profit just from the entertainment division.

Some people on these forums truly astound me.

At the people riding kowens balls. He didn't say anything bad about Sony he's just stating a pretty obvious fact. While the PS3 is doing really well compared to other quarters these results in no way guarantee an over all profit.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

this is good =p

The only significant expenses not covered by operating profit is interest payments and taxes.

While taxes never entirely wipe out your operating profit, interest payments certainly can. Given how deep in the red Sony has been as a company in the last year and a bit it's likely they have some big interest payments to make. Those big interest payments come out of the operating profit before taxes come out, so it's conceivable that the Japanese taxman won't be receiving a single yen from Sony for the December quarter.

The excellent thing about an operating profit is that the company actually has some cash to be able to meet it's debt / interest obligations, rather than having to go deeper in debt (or delve further into cash reserves) as a consequence of an operating loss.

This is very good news for Sony, whether or not their net result is profit or loss. Obviously a net profit for the quarter would be the best news, but it's not necessary for this to be good news.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Sony makes a profit? NOOOOOO!!! Satan has lost!!!

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
sully1311 said:
kowenicki said:
people do know this isnt net profit.... right?

I do. People dont realise they can still be in the red.

Unfortunatly its true... I still think they will be in the red for the quarter, maybe not by much, but still...

It's still a good sign.

To get to Net profit i beieve all that's left is taxes and... interest?

They may still be fine.  Though Sony does take out a lot of loans for some reason.

kowenicki said:
leo-j said:

kowenicki seriously can you  be happy that they are making money? Do you have to ALWAYS spin it against them? Do you hate them that much?

read my posts properly first... and then post a response.

I have said it IS good news, I have just advised caution as a rumour of an operating profit confirms nothing.  one its a rumour and two it is an operating profit not a net profit.

dont be so defensive on all things sony.

That must have been hard to do...saying it is good news that is.

The 375m profit posted by MS's entertainment department is also OPERATIONAL.

Funny you didn't bother to point this out to anyone posting in the MS profits thread but every two bleedin' seconds you bring it up here.

If leo is defensive all things sony what about you and microsoft?

I am confused : Is this good news or bad news, I wouldn't know reading this thread.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
justinian said:
NJ5 said:
rafichamp said:
Its confirmed that their games division is profitable. No one can say Sony is broke now. Sony is only going up from here with their games division becoming more and more profitable and their 3D tv's coming out.

1- Nothing is confirmed, this is just a prediction of Sony's results (even if it's a prediction from a quite good source, which it is).

2- Profitability in the holiday quarter is much easier than general profitability.

While this is good news if it holds up, it's not as good as you make it look.

Yes, but it could turn out to be no where near as bad as many predicted.

After the huge billion$ losses Sony took over the last year this - if correct - is "not so good"?

Christmas? The analysts took christmas into account along with the cost-cutting restructuring sony did and still forecasted a major loss for the quarter.

You know what, I am beginning to think that even if Sony posted a trillion$ profit there are those like yourself who will still call it a poor result, just because it is sony.

Vice versa if nintendo or MS made only 50cent  profit it would be still be a marvelous result.

I thought you were more balanced than that.

Well maybe you should read my post properly. I said it's good news and I did not say it's "not so good".

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

psrock said:
I am confused : Is this good news or bad news, I wouldn't know reading this thread.

Goodish would be the way to put it I think.

It's an indication that Sony won't have a HUGE loss.  Outside that it's unsure.

Still, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say the Playstation/Vaio division made a profit, since interest which could wipe out all the profits and put them in the red would end up being in the "Finanicals" division no matter what the loans and interest were taken out for.