By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ubisoft commit commercial suicide

I really like how Ubisoft is treating PC pirates lately. They're an independent bunch, and ubisoft is like the lone sheriff in the old west, trying to fight the tide of thieves and criminals.

World of Warcraft requires you to always be online, and it didn't hurt it too much, did it?

I think when you have so many pirates like you do with PC gaming, you need to combat them, and this is where it has always been headed, really. Did no one else realize that?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

I'm actually with Ubi on this 100%. I actually expected this kind of system to pop up years ago. Because if this works it could stop piracy, and that means finally more real PC games. Let's get some facts straight here:

Every single person with a capable gaming PC has an internet connection, so no problem there.
Games like WoW require you to be online to play aswell, and nobody complaints there.

Because let's face it, piracy has gone over the top. We al saw the estimates from bittorent from last year and that was just a fraction of the problem. Again don't blame this on Ubisoft, blame it on the people pirating games!

I really think we've reached a threshold here, and there are only two options left for alot of game developers: Get this or a similair system to try and stop piracy, or mostly abandon PC gaming.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
I really like how Ubisoft is treating PC gamers lately. They're an independent bunch, and ubisoft is like the lone sheriff in the old west, trying to fight the tide of thieves and criminals.

World of Warcraft requires you to always be online, and it didn't hurt it too much, did it?

I think when you have so many pirates like you do with PC gaming, you need to combat them, and this is where it has always been headed, really. Did no one else realize that?

Saying WoW requires online is like saying breathing requires being alive. If you're not online, what's the point in playing an MMO?

As for your last paragraph... I bet pirates will be able to pirate the game anyway (as always happens).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Miguel_Zorro said:
Rath said:
specialops787 said:
Rath said:
specialops787 said:
of course piracy decreases sales. they don't need to prove that fact.

Yes you do =/ studies have shown that piracy doesn't decrease sales...

Also I wonder how long before companies realise that PC gamers can get around any of these measures eventually and that all this will do is fuck off the people who legitimately buy the game.

If I go out and pirate Spore instead of buying it, I just decreased their sales. I stole it instead of buying it. 

Now if you want to argue that the people pirating would never have bought the game, then file. It doesn't decrease sales in that respect. It is, however, still illegal. If the game companies don't do anything about it, then the government should.

You may think its that simple but its not. Piracy has positive impacts on the level of sales through diffusion of information, this along with the fact that pirates are also generally the people who purchase the most games/music/movies overall (pirate before purchase seems to be a fairly significant thing) seems to balance out the amount of sales lost through piracy. There have been massive studies done on the effect of piracy on the music industry and they mostly reach the same conclusion.

Just saying that logically it should cause impacts on sales doesn't mean it does. But yes, it is still illegal and morally wrong to pirate - I'm not disputing that.

Do you have links to any of these studies that you can share?  Thanks.

I know you weren't talking to me, but here are three sources that back up the claim he makes, none of which are the same (and the one from the Post actually mentions multiple studies):

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=243454&start=0

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/99958-toc-piracy-may-boost-sales-research-suggests.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34300-2004Mar29?language=printer

These were all really easy to find on Google, the Internet's simplest of tools.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

AnthonyW86 said:
I'm actually with Ubi on this 100%. I actually expected this kind of system to pop up years ago. Because if this works it could stop piracy, and that means finally more real PC games. Let's get some facts straight here:

Every single person with a capable gaming PC has an internet connection, so no problem there.
Games like WoW require you to be online to play aswell, and nobody complaints there.

Because let's face it, piracy has gone over the top. We al saw the estimates from bittorent from last year and that was just a fraction of the problem. Again don't blame this on Ubisoft, blame it on the people pirating games!

I really think we've reached a threshold here, and there are only two options left for alot of game developers: Get this or a similair system to try and stop piracy, or mostly abandon PC gaming.

Exactly how will this stop pirating? The game will almost surely get cracked within a few days of being launched, then it won't require an online connection.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

I really like how Ubisoft is treating PC pirates lately. They're an independent bunch, and ubisoft is like the lone sheriff in the old west, trying to fight the tide of thieves and criminals.

Are you seriously comparing a games like AC2 ,which don't need to be online, to an MMOG?!

NJ5 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
I really like how Ubisoft is treating PC gamers lately. They're an independent bunch, and ubisoft is like the lone sheriff in the old west, trying to fight the tide of thieves and criminals.

Saying WoW requires online is like saying breathing requires being alive. If you're not online, what's the point in playing an MMO?

As for your last paragraph... I bet pirates will be able to pirate the game anyway (as always happens).

You can't pirate WoW. If ubisoft made all games have the login requirements of a MMO, then you shouldn't be able to pirate them either. If ubi is going this far they should at least make sure that folks can't pirate the games. If not, it's useless.

Also, in my first paragraph, I meant to say I like how Ubisoft is treating Pirates, not PC gamers, brainfart. :P

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

AnthonyW86 said:

How about the third option: Make good games and sell what PC gamers want?

PC gaming has been increasing well, and right now there are more game developers on PC than in all consoles combined. Indie games (which are mostly single-player) are rising extremely fast on PC.

I sincerely hope it works, maybe not at first hand but eventially. And i think any person who enjoy's gaming should aswell. Because if it does, it could really benefit the PC gaming market. I think alot of people here who are complaining do not realise that.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
NJ5 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

You can't pirate WoW. If ubisoft made all games have the login requirements of a MMO, then you shouldn't be able to pirate them either. If ubi is going this far they should at least make sure that folks can't pirate the games. If not, it's useless.

Also, in my first paragraph, I meant to say I like how Ubisoft is treating Pirates, not PC gamers, brainfart. :P

WoW is harder to pirate because the core functionality of the game requires being online (interacting with other players, and accessing all kinds of content which is not available offline).

That's not the case for most games, such as AC2. In this case, the requirement of being online is purely for the sake of verification, hence much easier for crackers to remove (as removing it won't affect the core gameplay).