By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - This man is representing Europe.

i love xbox360 said:
Samus Aran said:
VivaLaWiida said:
Are you serious? It's the worst English I've ever heard and I'm living in Germany. Maybe it's just funny for those, who have German as their mother tongue.
By the way he's going to take some English lessons since the German media has criticised him a lot.

Well it can't be the worst English you've ever heard because I've heard a lot worse in Germany. Language skills there are really, really, really bad...

incorrect german people mainly the under 30's speak english very well, when i went there last year i was socked to see how much english is taking over from the german language, there is english on tv all the time, english on the street corners advertishing something, and its seen by the kids as a cool language to speak. give it another 20-30 years and the majority of german people will speak very very good english

I go to Germany all the time... Their language skills are pathetic(by my standards) . Perhaps you were lucky to find someone that can speak it, but in 20+ times I've been there I've never seen a German speak decent English(with that I mean even worse then the guy in this vid). Perhaps it's improving, but at the moment...

Around the Network

Well, that guy's definitely better than the Portuguese (unofficial) ambassador to the World:

Why, God... why? ;_;

N-Portugal.com - A Portuguese gaming site. Check the latest N-ews!

Kantor said:

It's the third most common first language in the world, yes. But I'm pretty sure it's the most commonly spoken language. Understandable: it's spoken by the world's richest and most powerful country, and it's fairly easy to learn (ignoring some grammar and pronunciation here and there).

The ease of learning has a lot to do with the fact that you basically can't turn around without bumping into something written or spoken in English.

I honestly wouldn't mind another language as an alternative lingua franca - English is such a mess of exceptions and nitpicky rules when compared to something like German.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Kantor said:
Kasz216 said:
All I can say is... I'm damn glad that for some reason the rest of the world is bending over backwards for my language even though it's like the third most spoken language at best...

Cause I can't learn languages at all.

If I was some big time politician and they wanted me to preside over some Mandarian or Spanish speaking meeting, you could give me 10 years to prepare and I still wouldn't be able to say a line of coherent language.

It's the third most common first language in the world, yes. But I'm pretty sure it's the most commonly spoken language. Understandable: it's spoken by the world's richest and most powerful country, and it's fairly easy to learn (ignoring some grammar and pronunciation here and there).

Actually the British made it the language of trade with their Empire and the British/Americans made it the language of diplomacy at the end of WWII. Once you have something as the language of trade and diplomacy it quickly becomes the dominant language. So it's not really entirely to do with America's current statis.

And yeah its meant to be a pain in the arse to learn.

Mise said:
Kantor said:

The ease of learning has a lot to do with the fact that you basically can't turn around without bumping into something written or spoken in English.

I honestly wouldn't mind another language as an alternative lingua franca - English is such a mess of exceptions and nitpicky rules when compared to something like German.

German ain't an easy language either...

I'm willing to take a bet that more then 50% of the USA don't(or is it doesn't?) know the difference between Dutch and German.

Around the Network

One single man can not represent a whole continent.