By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Hack Released

Interesting technical article on how the PS3 exploit is accomplished.

http://rdist.root.org/2010/01/27/how-the-ps3-hypervisor-was-hacked/

Around the Network
demonfox13 said:
impur1ty said:
radiantshadow92 said:
BladeOfGod said:
radiantshadow92 said:
i read it and it fucking sickens me >_>

why?

because the guy exploits his hack and will allow his mind to be used to basically steal >_>....i get that he wants to hack stuff just to prove that he did it and for a hobbie, but really? release how you did it? and then hope for software piracy, that makes me sick...piracy ruined pc gaming it ruined handheld gaming for the psp....eventually it will get to console gaming in a huge way and ill be there blaming people like him

And it ruined gaming for the DS, and the Wii, and the X360 and the PS2....

...oh wait.

Nice attempt at justifying hacking. But ok, it has greatly ruined PC gaming and PSP gaming. Lets also not forget how many companies have closed down. Just because the sales on software for 2 well established consoles on the surface has looked good does not mean that piracy hasn't affected them. Again look at how many dev companies have closed down despite releasing very good games. Sometimes devs release a game and want to at the very least be somewhat profitable, and that "minor" piracy could very well prevent that, especially when they put so much effort on the product and don't even get to the break even point. Classic example is Pandemic studios with Saboteur. Yes it wasn't an OMG AAA great game but it was still a good game that deserved better sales on the 360 since that is the shooter type console (i know it's a sandbox shooter but still a shooter). It seems to me you are justifying piracy.

The Saboteur sold more on a backup capable system (360) than it did on the PS3, thus piracy is not to blame for it's poor sales.

EA shut down pandemic studios, not piracy.

I don't need to justify piracy. It sounds more like you are trying to condemn it with bad evidence.

Wow, he's claiming you can mod your PS3 to give it PS2 b/c. Now that would be a hack worth having for a lot of people, and no one should cry foul over it. What's wrong with modding your console to be able to play non-pritated games from a previous gen?

I wish there was a way a console could be opened up to tinkering without also making it open to piracy. People should be able to play around with the guts of their gaming console just like they can play around with the guts of their car, if they have the expertise to do it.

I'd like it if I could get Linux on my phat without the apparent hassels it experiences at the moment.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Ajescent said:
Can I just ask, he says he doesn't care about the pirating side of it, he was just curious so why bother releasing it then? Surely a video showing his accomplishments would have been enough right?

they can reverse engineer the OS like they did with PSP and create custom firmwares

they can even create a "OtherOS" version

I'm still against it long story short and I hope it fails.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Xoj said:
Ajescent said:
Can I just ask, he says he doesn't care about the pirating side of it, he was just curious so why bother releasing it then? Surely a video showing his accomplishments would have been enough right?

they can reverse engineer the OS like they did with PSP and create custom firmwares

they can even create a "OtherOS" version

That may be a problem, this is not like the PSP the problem is there are many step's for custom code to run on the PS3 unlike the PSP.

an emulator  was done with BD-JAVA first but that was no way near the level of trying to overwrite or completely bypass the protected security measure's that the PS3 has to defend against unassigned code.

this is going to be much more of a problem than it was for the PSP.

An I have some real doubt's if it ever will be done, and IF it indeed is able to be done it would not be for some Time.

even than it's very likely it would work only on Pre-Slim PS3's.  

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.