By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kaz Hirai confirms 65nm Cell, claims 20GB, 60GB PS3 not dead

@ ALL
STOP trolling.

On-Topic.
That wouldn't be the best idea.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Around the Network

Back on topic:

This is really nice. IF people react negatively to the 40 gig PS3, there is a chance that thhe 20 or 60 gig can come back for people who want B/C.

Seeing as Sony are releasing so many different models to try and find the level most consumers are interested in, they should open an online 'create your own PS3 console' store.

Do you want BR included: yes / no

Backward compatible: yes / no

Size of HD: 20 / 40 / 60 / 120

No of USB ports: 1 / 2 / 4

Memory card reader: yes / no

etc etc

@ Soriku

@llewdebkram

That's actually pretty cool, like when you buy a computer or something they ask what kind of CD drive you want, DVD burning, hard drive space, ram, etc. That would be pretty cool if you could customize your game system like that. alas, that'll probably never happen.

Around the Network
llewdebkram said:
Seeing as Sony are releasing so many different models to try and find the level most consumers are interested in, they should open an online 'create your own PS3 console' store.

Do you want BR included: yes / no

Backward compatible: yes / no

Size of HD: 20 / 40 / 60 / 120

No of USB ports: 1 / 2 / 4

Memory card reader: yes / no

etc etc

I like the idea a lot and as much as I would love to not pay for the Blu-Ray player and shave even more cost off the unit there is no chance in hell they would ever give the choice to remove the Blu-Ray drive.

There are 2 reasons:

1) Its one of their best weapons in the "format war"

2) Developers would shit a brick, and they would either ignore the people without BR -OR- make all their games for the smaller format and essentially kill the advantage that people who do have BR have payed for -OR- stop developing new projects for the console altogether.

I would love to buy my own without BR, but it would could serious issues for Sony and their 3rd (actually 1st & 2nd part also) Developers.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Well, with any hope the 40 gig fails then. Cause i'm not going to buy one... and really i'd rather have a 20 gig. Even if it cost more money, for the backwords compatability. Wi-fi is crap for gaming anyway so i'd rather direct connect.

Otherwise... eh I guess i'll buy a 20 gig off Ebay. I doubt i'd buy a 40 gig ever, unless there were no other options within like... 150 dollars.

Either way though, this all seems like common sense. It's not like they suddenly forgot how to make the 20 and 60 gigs. They just decided to stop making them, so if they think it's advantagoues to make them of course they'll be back. Right now they want to make sure they push PS3 games to the max so developers stay on... unlike what's been happening apparently with people mostly using the PS3 as a PS2 upscaler and Blu-Ray player... and not buying PS3 games.