By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kaz Hirai confirms 65nm Cell, claims 20GB, 60GB PS3 not dead

If you're one of many who have been confused about the processor size of Sony's 40GB version of its PlayStation 3 game console, Sony Computer Entertainment head honcho Kazuo Hirai has some clarifications. Hirai confirmed that the new 40GB Sony PS3 uses a 65nm Cell Processor instead of the old 90nm versions.

Hirai also noted that while the Cell has been made smaller, the RSX graphics engine that powers the Sony PlayStation 3 remains at the 90nm measure. No performance differences are expected, except for power efficiency benefits for the 40GB version.

The SCE boss also addressed questions on the future of the 60GB and 20GB Sony PlayStation 3 models. He says that while both SKUs remain in stock, production has been halted for both.

Both the 20GB and the 60GB Sony PS3 are backwards compatible, meaning that they can run Sony PSX and PlayStation 2 titles. Hirai says that these two may be produced again in the future, but it depends on how the market reacts to the absence of backwards compatibility features.

http://ps3.qj.net/Hirai-confirms-65nm-Cell-claims-20GB-60GB-PS3-not-dead/pg/49/aid/107322

Around the Network

so if people hate lack of backward compatibility and their sales drop to even less than they are now, then they will bring back the 60 and 20 gb?

So, is that essentially worldwide discontinuation of PS3 BC with PS2?

Well, it's not the decision I would have made.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Soriku said:
Game_boy said:

No, they have the 80 GB. But it's barely BC...

Yeah, and even that isn't available in PAL. PAL now has zero BC on any model. I live in PAL, and when I tell people this they say they won't buy a PS3 because of it.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

^Can you revisit a forum called Nintendo please? Don't troll k?

Around the Network

^sure

Soriku said:
Game_boy said:

No, they have the 80 GB. But it's barely BC...

80 gb is like 95-98% BC

and didnt sony sell their manufacturing plant or somethin so production of 20 and 60gb systems would cost a lot more to produce again? 

Soriku is entitled to his opinion as long as its on topic.

Soriku i doubt you would buy a PS3 if they put BC for PS2, GC and XB.... I kind of agree with W29.. it was on topic but not needed.

OT; did he mention the 120G [or was it 140?] at all... the one rumoured for Japan?

They use the same ps2 graphics chip for the 80 gb as the 60 and 20 versions they only dropped the EE so its Half software and half hardware