By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Now that I've horribly lost my Madworld Bet, lets make a Red Steel 2 bet.

It has been more than 3 years since the last Red Steel, and a lot has changed.

If Ubisoft does not release a commercial for it, it will not make 1 million. All it needs is a commercial at the right time, or some type of time at a Nintendo event, and it could sell well past it.

I don't trust Ubisoft will promote like they would for any other title worth a damn, so it won't make 1 million. But, I hope to God I'm wrong.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

Hard to say. Problems with Red Steel 2:

- no mulltiplayer (last I checked)
- Ubisoft doesn't seem to have any faith in it
- massive delay is a bit suspicious
- I think the mainstream crowd would prefer a more realistic/generic graphic design.

I think it will sell 1 million if the game has good sword fighting and decent shooting, but I'd bet against it happening in the first year.

Stof, excuse my language, but were you high when you made that madworld bet?

Did you really believe it'll sell a whole MILLION?

@ Gamerace - I see what you mean, but just because the tech hadn't caught up to the core gameplay mechanic when they started, doesn't mean the gameplay isn't centered around a core (and in my mind unmistakably fun, unique and important) concept.

@ Soma - yeah, quality is an issue here too. If the game turns out to be crap then it just won't sell at all. But it certainly doesn't look like crap. 

@ Vanatos - I think this game has lots of attraction. As you said, the first one sold on the promise of sword fighting that it didn't deliver (it also didn't deliver on shooting controls, as the bounding box was huge and lots of people complained that it wasn't nearly as good for gameplay as dual analogue stikcs). The game didn't do well because it didn't have what it said it would. RedSteel 2 actually does have what it said it would. And yes, I think there's a big attraction to a game where you can shoot and swordfight (and it works)

@Boneitis - We've covered the COD debate adnauseum on these forums. CoD 3 sold as well as the PS3 version despite being a PS2 port, Modern Warfare (which made the series huge) got skipped all together on the Wii, spliting the CoD market completely away from the Wii. World at War was over a million seller despite being the follow up to the game that made the series huge on the HD consoles and Reflex is on it's way to some pretty damn good sales for a 2 year old Port. If Modern Warfare had come out at the same time as the HD consoles, it'd easily be over 2 if not 3 million right now, as would World at War, and Modern Warfare 2 would have gotten made for the Wii and be selling well right now. If anything, the sales of CoD despite shafting the Wii just shows that there is a market for FPS's.

@ Xen - no, though that would have been a good excuse. I thought that the style would actually make it appeal to a broader audience. But the style certainly did give it a narrow appeal. Red STeel 2's colourful cell shaded style should work a lot better in appealing to the masses though. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I'll take that bet if you want stof. I think that it will eventually hit 1 million in sales, but not in it's first year. As good as the game might be, Ubisoft looks as though they are going to put it out to die considering the fact that they are projecting it to only sell 500K. I think that the game would sell a lot better if they had more faith in it.

Let me know what the terms are and if I have to put anything in my sig.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

Sorry Amp. I took it with dsister44. Of course, if Gamerace is up for it, I'll gladly challenge him again.

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Boneitis said:
Considering the underwhelming sales CoD on the Wii gets. I don't see Red Steel selling a million.

Considering the underwhelming support COD on the Wii gets, I'd say sales are higher than they ought to be.

Alright. Tell me to eat crow if I'm wrong though.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Done and Done. Ditto the other way.

jarrod said:
Boneitis said:
Considering the underwhelming sales CoD on the Wii gets. I don't see Red Steel selling a million.

Considering the underwhelming support COD on the Wii gets, I'd say sales are higher than they ought to be.

Great games sell even without advertising. Or, it could have sold better with advertising.

Its easy to argue either side. All I can say, anyone who wants it must know its on the Wii.