By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most overated game series.

Most overated game series.

Halo 286 50.00%

Final fantasy 78 13.64%

Zelda 45 7.87%

Metal Gear 54 9.44%

Grand theft auto 109 19.06%

Total:572
Onyxmeth said:

The results show everything we need to know about this site. 

What does it show?

If you are referring to Halo, almost every Xbox 360 owner I know dislikes that game. I don't think its surprising to see these results for any of these games. It is definitely an excellent franchise though.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

Around the Network
aleusianacht88 said:
lestatdark said:
DeduS said:

lestatdark said:
DeduS said:

Halo ... I just can't see the appeal ... it's a generic FPS with a lame story ... it's perfected blandness. I can only guess that the mp is the main appeal and since I don't like competitive mp too much I may just not get it. I just don't see what's so special about it - there are so many fricking FPS out there - why is this one the be-all and end-all of this huge group of games.

And some of that goes for my #2 (Final Fantasy) as well. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big FF fan, but I just don't get the hype. There were some great FF games in the 20+ year long history of the franchise, but there were some mediocre ones too. Yet every new entry to the series is celebrated as the reinvention of gaming, when most of the time there is barely anything innovative at all in those games.

Final Fantasy changes it's main gameplay structure with each game of the main installment. They may not be all good, and it isn't the best JRPG series, by far, but tell me, what other JRPG series changes it's main structure throught the main installments?

To be honest, I don't know that many JRPG series - I have played a lot of JRPGs, but Final Fantasy is probably the only one, where I played every installment ... so I can't really judge.

Personally I don't even care about gameplay changes - what I want out of a JRPG is a solid fighting- & leveling-system, interesting characters and a gripping story. (and some fun minigames would be nice ^^) I get that with most FFs - that's why I'm a fan, but there are so many other good or sometimes even better JRPGs out there, which don't get the attention they deserve, while FF is hyped to no end.

FF is nothing special - it's just another game. That doesn't mean that FFs don't deserve any hyping - some of them are amongst the best RPGs I've ever played, but I just feel that the amount of hype relative to the quality of the games is pretty unequally shared. That's why I think FF is overrated. (It's the same for Halo - just way worse.)

You have a very good logic, and I agree to your points to. There are many better JRPG's out there, but the problem is that those doesn't fit into the western idealization of JRPG's. That's why FF's tend to be so high rated on the west, because they tend to be JRPG lite.

Even my favourite FF, FF6 is very lite, when compared to most rpg's. It has an amazing story and pretty good characters, but in terms of game mechanics and development per se, it's very basic.

I don't think the series per se is overrated, at least not the games in the series that I think that stand out from the others (FF6, FFXII, FFVII and FFIV), but I do agree that some of them aren't that good.

That being said, i'd take a SMT game over a FF game anytime of the day, especially the Persona series xD 

Xenogears

That's an excellent choice as well ;) Ahhh, 1998, such an excellent year for JRPG's. Brave Fencer Musashi, Xenogears and Parasite Eve

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

r505Matt said:
dsister44 said:
r505Matt said:
dsister44 said:

I did that just a couple of weeks ago. Me and sixteen friends in a giant room, with four 32in tvs, sodas, and pizza. So much fun ^^

Halo FTW!

Seriously though, 16 player Lan Halo 1 is the easily the most fun I've ever had with games in my life. I'm really jealous that you've done that recently -.-

I voted for FF, because while I do like some of them, most of them are just trashy, and yet when a new one comes out, people talk about it like it's going to be the best game of all time.

It was Halo 3. Not Combat evolved 

Oh, I figured that's what you meant. The experience would be similar between the different games I imagine?

yes, still great fun :D

Halo, followed by FF.

I mean, really, I always heard it was so awesome. I didn't become interested on FPS' until 2007, and when I was needing more and more FPS I bought it for PC.

And well... okay, let's try the MP.... ..... wait, really?... what's the big deal?

*Uninstalls*

RTCW is way more awesome.

---------------

Got Halo 3 just to give it one more chance. Same thing... beat it for the achievements only...

*Sells game*

PS: Why Rockstar? Why? GTA4 went down the drain compared to San Andreas and the other 2, you failed me.

/endofftopicrant

GTA would be my #3... kinda.

That's right, just one "d"

In b4 "it's addict"
-----------------------------------------------
Add me:

Of the ones you listed I have to go with Halo. Especially since I'm not a big fan of FPS and never played one online.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Of the ones you listed I have to go with Halo. Especially since I'm not a big fan of FPS and never played one online.

First person shooters really do suck, the last one I really enjoyed was Bioshock

aleusianacht88 said:
Chris Hu said:

First person shooters really do suck, the last one I really enjoyed was Bioshock

they are 10 times better than RPGs IMO.

Halo with FF right behind it.

I don't see how Halo could possibly be overrated when you go on any game forum, say something positive about it, and then watch as 5 commenters call you some form of retarded for liking the series.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

lestatdark said:
Chairman-Mao said:
I would have said Mario, but since that's not an option I said Zelda. The only one I've played is Ocarina of Time and I didn't find it that fun.

Then how can you say that an entire game series is overrated? 

What about A Link To The Past? Link's Awakening? Minish Cap? Wind Waker? Twilight Princess?

Seriously, try to make a more objective judgment after you play at least half of the titles in a game series.  

I'm just not a Nintendo guy. I grew up with Playstation. I'm sure its a great series, I just don't enjoy it that much.