By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dust void PS3 warranty?

Is it dusty?  Yes.  Is it a hazard to health?  Definately not.  Sony should have just repaired the console.  They are trying to save face by releasing these pictures (which we have no way of knowing if it's the unit in question, or how bad it is because in the right lighting I think a few of you would be surprised how dusty things are around your house).  And with the time their legal counsel, management, and service center have spent on this situation they probably have multiplied $150 several times.  And even if you agree with the decision, no one says "Sony is a an awesome company that adheres strictly to warranties.  I want to support them by buying a PS3!"  So there are no positives for this situation.  Yet another management decision that shows why they have gone from first to last.

Around the Network

I can't understand how ANYONE can consider that Sony SHOULD have repaired that console under warranty.

No way... sorry not chance in hell - no company ever would.

As something that affects a person, I'm not really sure. . . But damn. . . that thing is pretty damn dirty. Does the thought of actually cleaning electronic devices every once in a while occur to people? There is no way I can see that much dust in my place and not let it go, especially on electronics (not even my TV which rarely moves will go by without being dusted every once in a while).

Still, despite whether that would have health effects on a person (probably if allergic to dust?), could that fall under neglect? 

I'm not buying this, sorry. The guy specifically said he dusted it before sending it to Sony. So now, clearly one of them is lying. Which one? Don't know, don't care.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
KruzeS said:
I'm not buying this, sorry. The guy specifically said he dusted it before sending it to Sony. So now, clearly one of them is lying. Which one? Don't know, don't care.

So the point of that post was. . .

Anyway, that is interesting. I wonder who is lying. Either way, those pictures are still very dirty...

*edit* actually, if it's the correct user in the comments section, he said that it was his console.  

Around the Network

In that link, apparently the guy is saying that he didn't lie and is claiming that the PS3 is a dust magnet. Obviously he is correct in saying that because that thing will pick up prints and dust pretty easily. However, how hard is it to wipe it off at least once a month?

IllegalPaladin said: So the point of that post was. . .

And what's the point of this again? Really, if you have a complain about the relevance of my posting, do report me.

Moving on, my point, which you've apparently got at first and even thought interesting, but then somehow missed, is that someone is lying, or at the very least exaggerating the truth. Likely, both. And the simple fact that I don't care which of them is lying, doesn't invalidate that.

This doesn't settle the issue for Sony, just as the initial complaint wasn't slam dunk either. People that get up in arms either way, are little more than tools.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

The guy lied about his dusty PS3. No way he kept that as part of his entertainment center claiming he cleaned it. That looks like it was in the garage getting dusty. If he wrapped the PS3 in a towel so it couldn't get ventilation and it died should it still be covered under warranty? Basically he allowed his PS3 to get that dusty and it eventually affected the hardware. His fault.

Again that's great that you think that there is no way a company should warranty this.  But for $150, how does this affect sales?  They can only go down.  Nobody looks at a denied claim for any reason and goes gagga over the product.  Despite the fact they have clearly spent more than $150 trying to spin this in their favor.

cleveland124 said:
Is it dusty? Yes. Is it a hazard to health? Definately not. Sony should have just repaired the console. They are trying to save face by releasing these pictures (which we have no way of knowing if it's the unit in question, or how bad it is because in the right lighting I think a few of you would be surprised how dusty things are around your house). And with the time their legal counsel, management, and service center have spent on this situation they probably have multiplied $150 several times. And even if you agree with the decision, no one says "Sony is a an awesome company that adheres strictly to warranties. I want to support them by buying a PS3!" So there are no positives for this situation. Yet another management decision that shows why they have gone from first to last.

In this case the dust, if it is indeed the system in question, warrants complete negligence in the care of the product which is a warranty breaker. When you buy an item you enter a contract to follow the terms of use of that product. I don't spill water on my PC and expect them to warranty it because it costs them more money to just shut me up. I actually have the scrouples to know when it's company and when it's my responsibility, in this situation nothing Sony did made the system that dusty/dirty so it is HIS fault. They don't give you a warranty from your own retarded lazy care, they give you warranty from any hardware malfunction from their end. If it shorts out cause there's 5 lbs of dust inside the thing, it's not a hardware malfunction.(well it is but it isn't their fault) They should not fix this guys machine even if it costs them thousands to avoid it, the reward will be keeping other as*holes from trying to pull the same crap. He doesn't deserve a PS3 or anything if this is how he's going to treat his stuff. My niece is 10 and her wii is coming on a year old it's still clean. I have a Wii PS3 and 360 all of which are from within a week of launch(I got PS3 and wii the day of and 360 elite about a week after happy birthday to me!) I wipe them carefully with a microfiber rag(doesn't leave scratches on the PS3) very lightly every day. I've had people ask if I even USE them because they're in such good condition. It doesn't take long to clean your room if you do it daily, you're supposed to vacuum daily it cuts a LOT of dust out and if you do it daily your room won't become so dirty that you need to put much effort into cleaning it.. just do a little every day. Gah lazy people!