By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dust void PS3 warranty?

twesterm said:
dtewi said:
But... but... the Wii collects dust.

But Sony actually has good customer service. 

yea the only one with a bad rep with customer service is MS with the hacking of live accounts thing that was going on

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network
Bonafide732 said:
i remember back when i was a kid i would believe crap like this.. guess it gives people stuff to make fun of i guess...

Are you implying that the story is made up?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I would copy this story to every Internet forum I could think of. I would also ensure to include the reference number for the service call, and serial number for all to see. Hopefully someone from the media uses this information to verify the story and then runs with it. Sounds like a good Fox News story (as long as it can be verified to be true!) to be run before Black Friday. MS only took responsibility for their problems when it started to appear in the regular news media. Also contact the BBB where Sony America is located and make a claim. They will contact SCEA on your behalf and work towards a solution.

splatman1981 said:
simple fix.. can of air! costs like $1, its a can of compressed air, you should use that on your ps3 and wii and 360 about every 6 months.. or whenever you feel like using it. its kind of a maintenance thing.

That won't work, you see the way the PS3 is designed you'd just be pushing the dust out more evenly. The design is pretty good for airflow, but it also leaves it harder for dust to exit the system so it's also good for dust clogs. Once it's dusty it starts going. The only way to actually get the system clean(Can of air will only push some dust deeper in and spread some out more evenly in the PS3's design) would be to open it and use a can of air on it but that'd void your warranty too. Actually the correct answer is to use a HEPA rated vacuum cleaner, a HEPA rated air filter that does not put out Ozone, a commercial grade carpet or hardwood floors(thicker carpets hold more dust/filth), vacuum daily and buy a small tech vac to actually suck the loose air out of the system before it gets too heavy to do so. After all this... it'll still get dusty... period. and actually 6 months is too long to wait to try and blow out loose dust 1-4 weeks is better depending on many factors, floor, how often you clean, how many people live with you, type of heating your house has(forced air causes dust), how many windows are in the room and how often they're opened, do you steam clean upholstery etc.

The PS3 may be more reliable than the PS2, but the warranty is just as dubious, this is typical of Sony. Just hope your PS3 is one of the many that stays true to its die-hard quality.

Around the Network

did they tell you that dust was the reason it's broken?, if so just let them send it back and vaccuum it.... I'm guessing dust was an excuse though, so just complain till someone gives you a new PS3... should work if you are good at complaining.

souixan said:
splatman1981 said:
simple fix.. can of air! costs like $1, its a can of compressed air, you should use that on your ps3 and wii and 360 about every 6 months.. or whenever you feel like using it. its kind of a maintenance thing.

That won't work, you see the way the PS3 is designed you'd just be pushing the dust out more evenly. The design is pretty good for airflow, but it also leaves it harder for dust to exit the system so it's also good for dust clogs. Once it's dusty it starts going. The only way to actually get the system clean(Can of air will only push some dust deeper in and spread some out more evenly in the PS3's design) would be to open it and use a can of air on it but that'd void your warranty too. Actually the correct answer is to use a HEPA rated vacuum cleaner, a HEPA rated air filter that does not put out Ozone, a commercial grade carpet or hardwood floors(thicker carpets hold more dust/filth), vacuum daily and buy a small tech vac to actually suck the loose air out of the system before it gets too heavy to do so. After all this... it'll still get dusty... period. and actually 6 months is too long to wait to try and blow out loose dust 1-4 weeks is better depending on many factors, floor, how often you clean, how many people live with you, type of heating your house has(forced air causes dust), how many windows are in the room and how often they're opened, do you steam clean upholstery etc.

The dude said he had the PS3 since launch. So the 1 year warranty with Sony is done. He can open the PS3 now.

^ European PS3

^So when did the European PS3's launch?

W29 said:
souixan said:
splatman1981 said:

The dude said he had the PS3 since launch. So the 1 year warranty with Sony is done. He can open the PS3 now.

What if they decide to later make it up to him, but then, because he opened it, it's voided and they won't touch it afterall? Something this ridiculous will definitely get resolved, so I wouldn't suggest opening it up. I wonder if this will take a class action lawsuit to resolve like the PS2 laser? We'll know in a few years I guess...