By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Soccer Growth in America Poll - How long until it becomes the #01 Sport?

Soccer Growth in America Poll - How long until it becomes the #01 Sport?

During the years 2014-2021 3 8.11%

During the years 2022-2029 6 16.22%

During the years 2030-2037 2 5.41%

During the years 2038-2045 2 5.41%

During the years 2052-2059 20 54.05%

Even earlier! 4 10.81%

Total:37
vaio said:
letsdance said:
GamingChartzFTW said:
letsdance said:

If you consider one team turning the ball over and the other tea booting it down the feild for a up for grabs ball that the other team might get and just boot back action... then yes... its action packed. This is coming from someone who played soccer through his childhood. I find it funny how big the goal is and only 1 player can use their hands yet no one can score. Im not saying that a a game needs to be high scoring to be fun to watch. My favorite games to watch are usually during a pitchers duel. But come one... even in pitchers duels there is always close calls with stuff like walking players and need to get out of a jam. men on first and third no outs. almost home runs. spectacular defensive plays... hardly any in soccer. "oh let me try to do a spin move to try and shake this defender" ...okay either it worked and now someone else just stepped up to defend or it didnt and the balls on the other end of the field. there are hardly any close calls because the offense can barely make it to the box to get a good shot off so the boot it from a distance and it sails over the goal... up goal kick now the ball is at the other end.

Offside Rule

Back in the 1800s there were to many goals scored. People were "loitering" by the posts. That is why the offside rule was implemented. Football (soccer) is a highly tactical game. It's all about formations and strategy (in addition to each player's creative outbursts).

I know the offside rule and its the worst in any sport. In hockey you can have a offensive player play behind the defensive to get a pass just as long as he is behind the offensive zone line (Blue line)... In soccer you need to play by the defenders! How the hell are you suppose to get a break away dribbling the ball? Oh... you have to wait for the ball to pass the defenders. Posh! Oh... and tactical? LOL tactical my ass... My favorite sports go like this. Hockey/Baseball then a distance away football/basketball... I actually dont like either one of those but the most tactical sport is Football... then hockey. Basket ball and soccer try to be but just end up being a clutter fuck.

Sorry dude but you need to go back and relearn how offside works cause you got it wrong.

It has nothing to fo with the ball passing the defender and you dont have to wait for the ball passing the defender.

You cant be closer to the goal line then the closest defender unless the ball is passed the defender... yes it has everything to do with the ball and defender position

Around the Network
letsdance said:
vaio said:
letsdance said:
GamingChartzFTW said:
letsdance said:

If you consider one team turning the ball over and the other tea booting it down the feild for a up for grabs ball that the other team might get and just boot back action... then yes... its action packed. This is coming from someone who played soccer through his childhood. I find it funny how big the goal is and only 1 player can use their hands yet no one can score. Im not saying that a a game needs to be high scoring to be fun to watch. My favorite games to watch are usually during a pitchers duel. But come one... even in pitchers duels there is always close calls with stuff like walking players and need to get out of a jam. men on first and third no outs. almost home runs. spectacular defensive plays... hardly any in soccer. "oh let me try to do a spin move to try and shake this defender" ...okay either it worked and now someone else just stepped up to defend or it didnt and the balls on the other end of the field. there are hardly any close calls because the offense can barely make it to the box to get a good shot off so the boot it from a distance and it sails over the goal... up goal kick now the ball is at the other end.

Offside Rule

Back in the 1800s there were to many goals scored. People were "loitering" by the posts. That is why the offside rule was implemented. Football (soccer) is a highly tactical game. It's all about formations and strategy (in addition to each player's creative outbursts).

I know the offside rule and its the worst in any sport. In hockey you can have a offensive player play behind the defensive to get a pass just as long as he is behind the offensive zone line (Blue line)... In soccer you need to play by the defenders! How the hell are you suppose to get a break away dribbling the ball? Oh... you have to wait for the ball to pass the defenders. Posh! Oh... and tactical? LOL tactical my ass... My favorite sports go like this. Hockey/Baseball then a distance away football/basketball... I actually dont like either one of those but the most tactical sport is Football... then hockey. Basket ball and soccer try to be but just end up being a clutter fuck.

Sorry dude but you need to go back and relearn how offside works cause you got it wrong.

It has nothing to fo with the ball passing the defender and you dont have to wait for the ball passing the defender.

You cant be closer to the goal line then the closest defender unless the ball is passed the defender... yes it has everything to do with the ball and defender position

Wrong!!! (unless you have different rules in the US then the rest of the world)

go back read the rules and try again.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Snozzle said:
The only reason soccer has any following in the US is illegal immigration. Your question might as well have been, "how long before Spanish language TV is #1 in the USA". Soccer is never going to more popular than American football. Your poll is very flawed because it doesn't allow for the most likely outcome which is NEVER in this century. If you rephrase your poll to reflect the never option I'm sure a majority of Americans would choose it.

This is wrong for a couple of reasons:

1. You're assuming that legal immigrants or Americans can't watch Soccer (I do, and I was definitely born in this country).

2. That being an illegal immigrant is synonymous with being from a Spanish speaking country (while the majority are, it's pretty offensive and many other illegal immigrants come from other nations).

4. The idea that Soccer will never be more popular than Football.

As for this thread, let's look back to when Baseball was the most popular sport in the United States. We had the likes of Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, as well as a bajillion other famous players. Nowadays, you barely ever hear about Baseball, and Football is a much more popular sport. Never assume that any sport will hold the top spot forever, because you could end up eating some serious crow. I live in the Washington D.C. area, and Soccer games are a lot bigger than they were a decade ago. The last time I went to see a game, the majority of people there were not from Spanish speaking countries, but rather people of all races and ethnicities (whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, people from North and South America, a lot of Africans, etc.).

As for Soccer being boring, it's boring for a lot of Americans because they have no personal involvement in the teams. When they turn on the TV and watch a soccer game, they have no idea who the teams are or why they should care. When it comes to Football, everyone has got their team. Hell, even around here, there are a lot of Redskins and Ravens fans (even though these teams suck). As American soccer teams improve and people get a sense of team attachment in the sport, it will grow immensely.

kowenicki said:
The world says that Association Football is the superior game... the greatest sport of all time.

Thats all that matters.

I couldnt give a toss if the US embrace it or not. We dont need them to.

Yes, because popularity equals quality, right?

I hope to use that against you in the future.

kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
The world says that Association Football is the superior game... the greatest sport of all time.

Thats all that matters.

No popularity doers not ALWAYS equal quality and I dont think I said that.  I'm surprised you favour generalising in such a way...

High popularity doesnt always equal quality, but it sometimes does, there are plenty of examples in music and the movies..... even gaming. 

In this case it def has some merit... one or two countries that embraced American Football versus the rest of the globe.  Not an overnight decision but a trend formed over the last 100 or so years.

So I still see no reason as to why popularity equals quality in this situation, just some failed attempts at a snappy comeback.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:

Thats all that matters.

No popularity doers not ALWAYS equal quality and I dont think I said that.  I'm surprised you favour generalising in such a way...

High popularity doesnt always equal quality, but it sometimes does, there are plenty of examples in music and the movies..... even gaming. 

In this case it def has some merit... one or two countries that embraced American Football versus the rest of the globe.  Not an overnight decision but a trend formed over the last 100 or so years.

So I still see no reason as to why popularity equals quality in this situation, just some failed attempts at a snappy comeback.

OK my evidence why football is better than american football is its worldwide popularity from spectators and global pariticipation from all ages and both sexes.... what is your reasoning as to why I'm wrong?  or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing... just being contrary?

So basially...Soccer/Football is the world's best sport because it's the most popular sport?

We're clearly moving in circles here. I'll stop, since you obviously have no good arguments and I'd just be wasting my time here.

kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:

Thats all that matters.

OK my evidence why football is better than american football is its worldwide popularity from spectators and global pariticipation from all ages and both sexes.... what is your reasoning as to why I'm wrong?  or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing... just being contrary?

So basially...Soccer/Football is the world's best sport because it's the most popular sport?

We're clearly moving in circles here. I'll stop, since you obviously have no good arguments and I'd just be wasting my time here.

baiscally ... yeah

why is american football better?

its about opinions at the end of the day, you will never convince me american football is better and you will struggle to convince a few billion others too.

Ahh, you got me. Your stubborn attitude and poor arguments always keep reeling me in. So charming. Well, to answer your question, I was never trying to convince you that American Football is better. I guess since I'm American that's all I can like. To inform you, I do not like American Football, I vastly prefer Soccer/Football. If you bothered to read a couple posts back (which I'm sure you didn't), you'd know this. As this stands, you're still arguing that Soccer/Football is a better sport because it's the most popular, and you're still as wrong as can be.

kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:

Thats all that matters.

Clearly it has nothing to do with the assosiation game being around... hundreds and hundreds of years longer.

Or the fact that a lot more people can play it as children because it doesn't take expensive equipment.

Soccer got so popular because it's so CHEAP.

All you need is a Soccerball... and you can play soccer... with as little as two people.   A soccer ball and them some objects to play the net.

It's also why Basketball is the fastest growing sport in the world... once you set up a hoop in your area... all you need is a ball.

Okay how about an option for never.

Soccer is so fucking boring to watch. 90 minutes of no action and it ends in a 0-0 tie. Or nil-nil as they call it.

I prefer exciting sports like hockey and North American football.

letsdance said:
highwaystar101 said:
I guess it would almost certainly never be the number one sport in the USA... America, yeah... But not the USA specifically.

America as in S. America + N. America? Sure.

America as in Mexico, USA, Canada? Never.

This.

In 1st world America (Canada + USA) soccer will never be top sport. I could see it passing hockey in popularity because the USA doesn't care about hockey but it will never pass Football, Basketball or Baseball.