By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Soccer Growth in America Poll - How long until it becomes the #01 Sport?

Soccer Growth in America Poll - How long until it becomes the #01 Sport?

During the years 2014-2021 3 8.11%

During the years 2022-2029 6 16.22%

During the years 2030-2037 2 5.41%

During the years 2038-2045 2 5.41%

During the years 2052-2059 20 54.05%

Even earlier! 4 10.81%

Total:37

I'm looking for a never option, because it never will be.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

football will take time to become that popular in america,thier more intrested in their "american football"

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

I was the one who voted "Even earlier!" because I assumed the last response would be "Never!", and clicked it right away. Sorry for the inconvenience.

letsdance said:
NiKKoM said:
Wildvine53 said:
You can hold me to this, but I don't think soccer will ever pass Football

I still don't get why Americans call American football,  Football.. while the rest of the world calls soccer Football.. 90% of the time they are holding the ball in their hands.. whats up with that?

It's a reflection of American football's origins.

The first football type of game that colleges played in North America was almost identical to what became soccer: You scored by kicking a goal. But every school had its own rules. That was true even over in England, before the Football Association was created to establish a standard set of rules. Over here in the USA, we had no such governing body, so the schools took it upon themselves to sit down and draw up their own set of rules that everyone could agree on.

In an age when overseas communications took weeks, if not months, Americans lived in relative isolation from their football counterparts in Europe and thus weren't able to easily keep tabs on how the game was progressing there. So Americans (and Canadians) took it upon themselves to sort things out on their own and draw up a set of rules that appealed to them. Although most schools in North America were playing some variety of soccer, others, including Harvard, preferred a game that was more like rugby. When the schools first met to discuss a set of rules, Harvard pressed to base their common rules on the English rugby code, and they prevailed. From that point on, the American version of football began to develop out of rugby instead of soccer.

The same process of codifying rules had happened in England, too: After the Football Association was formed, some clubs disagreed over which rules to use -- primarily, the rule that governed the use of hands in the game. Those who favored prohibiting the hands formed the Football Association, and those who wanted to use the hands as part of the game eventually went on to form the first Rugby Football Union.

The American game could just as easily have been called American rugby, but since everyone was already calling it "football," the name stuck. Besides, in the early days, the American game was much more kicking-oriented than it is now. When there was no forward pass and kicks could be taken from anywhere on the field, teams would frequently dropkick to try to score, or they'd use a deep punt as a defensive strategy, if their running game was getting bogged down. It was only when the forward pass was legalized and kicks were limited to those taken from behind the line of scrimmage that the feet began to play a less prominent role in the American game. But again, everyone already called the game football, so there was no reason to change it.

Just keep in mind that what we call "rugby" is actually "rugby football," yet rugby players handle the ball as much as they kick it. What most of the world calls simply "football" is technically "association football," from the name of its founding and governing body. When soccer and rugby split, the association game simply adopted "football" as its name, while rugby football focused on the first part of its name. That doesn't mean one game is football while the other isn't. They're still both football games with a shared origin.

What's more, since the soccer/rugby split, other football-related games have evolved to emphasize other parts of the body to propel the ball. In fact, of the world's six major football codes -- soccer, rugby league, rugby union, Australian rules football, American (gridiron) football, and Gaelic football -- soccer is the only one that prohibits use of the hands. And they all employ kicking strategies to a greater or lesser extent.

You put it better then I was going to.

Football isn't a sport so much as a classification for many sports.  A genus instead of species if you would.

highwaystar101 said:
I guess it would almost certainly never be the number one sport in the USA... America, yeah... But not the USA specifically.

I wouldn't gurantee that.  By 2050 minorities will be the majority in the United States.

Largest group in this growth will be people of latino/hispanic origin.

Around the Network

Another good example of the rise in Soccer popularity is Seattle.

The Supersonics left, and the city rallied behind the soccer team. It's actually considered the best and most rabid fanbase in the MLS now, even ahead of the Canadian teams.

In general soccer gains seem to be at the benefit of other sports falls... and there is no telling how much this will effect things in the future.

There is a general thought that American Football may go the way of Boxing to a niche sport in the next 10-20 years due to recent concussion research.

Will parents let their children play youth football or even highschool football when there are reports that even this small level of playing can cause severe brain damage later on in life?

Baseball itself is on a huge decline...

Soccer has a good chance to grow, it's biggest problems are exposure and lack of money to pay the big bucks.

The amount of money you can make in the sport is as important as the sport itself for a lot of kids growing up in America I think. Sure you can make LOTS of money in Europe... but most kids i don't think know that. While A-rod, LeBron and Peyton Manning you see all the time here.

Currently i'd say the next "biggest" sport will be Basketball though. Football and Baseball are both poised to drop (baseball actually already has, only getting a boost from the "roid" era.)

It's already gaining a lot of fans from baseball. Baseball's level of black players is dropping drastically... this is partially attributed to the benefits of Basketball economically over baseball.

Baseball has minor leagues that offer little money and you may never make the majors.

Basketball, if your pro level... your pro level... and true you may not be, but you don't know that as a kid... and basketball is just the most glamorous sport we have right now.

Soccer could actually make #2 and later 3 in the next 50 years or so depending on concussion research and if Baseball can ever get back it's groove.

It should be noted though, the USA will NEVER love Soccer as much as most of the rest of the world does.

For whatever reason, perhaps due to the massive different amount of pro leagues... the USA just doesn't get that much into sports.

I mean there are die hard sports fans, but few that go to the level of the rest of the world.

Hopefully soon, allowing hockey to fall even farther out of U.S. interest, causing the southern U.S. teams to fold, and Winnipeg, Quebec City and Hamilton to finally get the NHL teams they deserve.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Why is everyone so concerned?
I personally love the sport, but ther's no denying the fact that most people in the US
prefer their own brand of football. Most of the world hates us, so why is it such a big deal when something like this comes to light?

TX109 said:
Why is everyone so concerned?
I personally love the sport, but ther's no denying the fact that most people in the US
prefer their own brand of football. Most of the world hates us, so why is it such a big deal when something like this comes to light?

Elaborate please.