By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Market Forces Analysis

J_Jay2000 said:

Sqrl - Having lurked in the background as a silent member for long enough (since the .org days) i am fully conversant with the other factors as i am sure most other here are. What inspired me to take the broader approach to the analysis was that after many a thread i had seen very few if any delve into the generic forces of mass consumer markets and their application to the videogame industry. What i might try and attempt is to draw the lines between the major factors affecting sales both from my first post and countless other threads attempting to analyse the sales situation. Such that the full bigger picture can be drawn. Difficulty of this is keeping it relatively short.

Oh, I have no doubt that you do have a firm grasp on the major factors, if for no other reason than they are, as you said, beat to death. My point was more to do with the hiearchy that exists within these factors and what kind of a role it plays.

For example, time and cost are an extension of user base. Understanding how those factors interact and which ones dominate the relationship can be key to understanding an impending/ongoing market trend. And in a lot of cases looking at the way these relationships have changed in the past can help you understand how they will change in the future.

Obviously people have different perspectives on these issues which is why it is always interesting to read someone's analysis even when you have already formed your own. Which is also why I was bringing this up, you as a new poster represent a new viewpoint and its always interesting to learn how someone else views the situation particluarly when the topic has become stale and is in need of new perspective.

PS - I am extremely happy to see other people using the phrase "percieved value". There is a disconnect between a lot of people on the topic of actuality and perception. And often times it is hard to explain it once someone has entrenched themselves into a viewpoint.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

great article, thanks for sharing your toughts with us!

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)