By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Ericsson loses $235 million in 4th quarter, 5% market share

Grimes said:

Android phone that can do many more things and is accepted in the business world as a professional device.

Lol, what? You meant corporate channels? Hell no.

Btw, Android doesn't do that many things more than old slow WM does. Again, it's not (only) a functionality which rules and pwns the world of mobiles.

Around the Network
tingyu said:

They do not know how to counter iphone, so they go for MS Windows Mobile (Xperia), Nokia Symbian S60 (Satio)and Android (X10) all at the same time.

SE used to use Symbian quite a long ago, it's one of the oldest Symbian manufacturers. In fact, I see part of their problems is that they started pursuing so many OSes at some point, instead of focusing on Symbian and continuation of their own A200/300 platform

KBG29 said:
I think a Playstation Phone made on PSP 2 tech would be the ultimate solution for both sides. Give the PSP a touch screen, a second anologue stick, 4G networking, an OS revamp to support more content, and they would have a winner on there hands.

How much that PSP phone would cost? The problem of SE recent devices is that they all cost too much. I don't see how PSPhone could be a killer for them. Being all about high-tech wonders, it wouldn't do any better than PS3.

tingyu said:

Sony Ericsson is slow in adapting to post-Iphone market, Sony Walkman lost the war to Ipod, and now they're just repeating the history. They do not know how to counter iphone, so they go for MS Windows Mobile (Xperia), Nokia Symbian S60 (Satio)and Android (X10) all at the same time. 

Im using Xperia which is a very beautiful Sony phone, but come with very unresponsive MS Windows Mobile, Sony should have invested everything in Android in the first place, and ignore the buggy Windows. Only Android hold a chance against iphone, though it would still be impossible to turn the tide. The hope for Sony Ericsson lies in X10 which is basically super sexy Sony hardware design coupled with Android.

MS should just scrap the whole Windows Mobile and write a new smaller OS if they even hope to retain in the market.

Its rather sad to see that Sony;s mp3 players are lagging behind the iPod, they are 1000% better then the Shuffle and pretty much right there with the Nano.

As for now, I wish Sony Ericson would take Android for spin. Its a wonderful OS.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

MDMAniac said:
KBG29 said:
I think a Playstation Phone made on PSP 2 tech would be the ultimate solution for both sides. Give the PSP a touch screen, a second anologue stick, 4G networking, an OS revamp to support more content, and they would have a winner on there hands.

How much that PSP phone would cost? The problem of SE recent devices is that they all cost too much. I don't see how PSPhone could be a killer for them. Being all about high-tech wonders, it wouldn't do any better than PS3.

So it would start out slow then instantly start kicking the heck out of everything? Is that a bad thing? if it would cut a small percentage of market off of the iPhone, would it be a bad thing? no. And I;d be happy to pay $200 like I did for my LG Dare for one, as long as its on Verizon's network.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:

1) So it would start out slow then instantly start kicking the heck out of everything? Is that a bad thing? 2) if it would cut a small percentage of market off of the iPhone, would it be a bad thing? no. 3) And I;d be happy to pay $200 like I did for my LG Dare for one, as long as its on Verizon's network.

1) No, it would just cost Sony their arm and leg, and sink them further beyond waterline

2) iPhone takes rather small market itself, so a small percentage of it means probably less than SE lost . The problem is not market share, it's profitability, and iPhone makes the killing here because it sells like with 200% margin or whatever.

3) Good for ya, not so good for Sony. PSPPhone targeting a gaming audience - means niche sales. PSPPhone selling for the amount of money like Xperia does - means even more niche than Xperia. And which margin they could sell it with? 200% like iPhone? Hell no, they probably will sell it just to break even, because it would be a gaming device, and "gamers" are not exactly audience you can charge for "premium" regardless how many billions of triangles PSPPhone could through and how photorealistic it's games are, so no reason really to put a next micro-Cell into the device. They want it cheap, and I concur.

Just to put it in another perspective, an only gaming phone which could be HUGE success now is reincarnation of GBA SP with cheap GSM module, not any 4G or whatever current buzz is about. Supplied with flux of games of mass appeal, of course.

A PS Phone is the only solution for Sony in this market, and thats the bottom line. Playstation is there most notable brand, and the only one that is going to catch the eyes of general consumers. These dumb ass names Azio, Niva, Meto, or whatever they want to through out there has nothing. They do not stand behind one phone, and they though out so much garbage that consumers have no clue what to buy, so they simply don't buy SE phones.

A PS phone does not have to be a processing mamoth. All it needs to do is play games at the level a PSP can, with better controls. As many have pointed out in discussion about handhelds, we don't want a console clone. If I want to play console games I will buy a console. What I (personally) do like is having games directly built for a device by some of the best developers in the world. That is what the PS Phone could bring that no other phone would have.

I am a firm believer that the PSP 2 does not need to knock our socks off with power. If Sony just focuses on making the game play better through a btter controller interface, it will be a massive step in making PSP 2 a better games platform. Then add in network access anywhere any time, and they have the best protable games device on the market. The production cost could be almost unchanged from PSP, and they would sell through the roof.

Belive this. There are millions of people that would love a PSP, but there is very little to justify paying 170 for a system that is mainly a games only device. If the PSP could be a phone + a games device for 200, then they have full justification. People see a phone as essential, and they are willing to pay the price for them. If they can get a phone that plays their favorite games for a couple of bucks more, it is a done deal.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Drip drip drip...hopefully they can get back on their feet someday...or get bought out by a moneymaker.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

ssj12 said:
tingyu said:

Sony Ericsson is slow in adapting to post-Iphone market, Sony Walkman lost the war to Ipod, and now they're just repeating the history. They do not know how to counter iphone, so they go for MS Windows Mobile (Xperia), Nokia Symbian S60 (Satio)and Android (X10) all at the same time. 

Im using Xperia which is a very beautiful Sony phone, but come with very unresponsive MS Windows Mobile, Sony should have invested everything in Android in the first place, and ignore the buggy Windows. Only Android hold a chance against iphone, though it would still be impossible to turn the tide. The hope for Sony Ericsson lies in X10 which is basically super sexy Sony hardware design coupled with Android.

MS should just scrap the whole Windows Mobile and write a new smaller OS if they even hope to retain in the market.

Its rather sad to see that Sony;s mp3 players are lagging behind the iPod, they are 1000% better then the Shuffle and pretty much right there with the Nano.

As for now, I wish Sony Ericson would take Android for spin. Its a wonderful OS.

from the tech stand point walkman in everything, battery life, sound quality, support for formats, mass storage, 3 min = 3 hours of music charges etc.

but people go for the ipod because they are used to them, walkman still a dominant brand in asia though, the difference with ipod its minimal.

gurglesletch said:
Quote from NJ5:

Why they're losing money, probably has a lot to do with the recession and high competition from Apple. Sony Ericsson has much less market share than it used to.

What Recession? The US hasn't been in a recession for a while.

Recession is not just about GDP growth... GDP has recovered somewhat, due to massive government spending.

Consumer spending, on the other hand, is still down, which is what matters for things like phones. I don't think the US government spent much of its stimulus money on buying phones.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957