By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Recent Video Games are Incredible!!!

Legend11 said:
Zucas said:
Also in these days it's a lot easier to get good reviews especially if you are a stereotypical shooter of some kinda. For some odd reason reviewers love to crack down on all other genres that are repetive, like the RPG and Platformer genre. But when it comes down to shooters or FPS, reviewers don't care if they continue to see the exact same thing over and over again. They'll still not care and rate it well.

A FPS or shooter is like any other genre, if it's crap it'll get the scores to show it.

Game Rankings scores:

Medal of Honor Airborne - 75.2%
Call of Juarez - 72.3%
F.E.A.R. Files - 71.0%
Timeshift - 70.5%
Clive Barker's Jericho - 66.5%

He did not claim all FPS got good scores. Read his post again. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I just played CoD 4 and it was so....bland. It doesn't seem to matter to me any more. If they are using a Thompson or an M16...it feels all the same. I feel like I've been there before. MP3 seemed so bland to me too. Halo has always been bland. It doesn't feel the same anymore. I find FPS games to be boring.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Oh... http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/review/R103253.html

"I'm not going to compare the two. I'm going to explain to you, straight up, why Chrono Cross deserves to be my most hated video game of all time. Not role playing game, not Squaresoft game, BUT VIDEO GAME."

"...the horrible music ..." - This impressed me, CC has one of the best Square OST's ever and is usually recognized that way.

"The rest of the game seriously does look wonderful, unless you look really closely at the screen and see all those pixels and crap like that. But if you look at it from a normal distance it'll look pretty good!" - As I recall, during its release, it was one of the best looking PS1 games out there, graphically. Funny.

It's as if the guy ignored everything about the game and somehow got a 'featured review' on gamefaqs. How does that kind of ignorant review even get 'featured'. lol

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Gaming review scores are just ridiculous now. You used to see perfect scores going out to games once or twice a generation, only to the titles that literally redefined the industry. Now it seems as though almost every big-budget game can't get lower than an 8.5, usually hits the 9.0-9.5 range, and the best games among them routinely get 10s. Sure, a lot of these recent games are good, but come on. Call of Duty 4, getting perfect scores? That doesn't seem right at all.

The whole gaming review situation is enormously unprofessional, as I think we all know quite well. The ad revenue for the review sites is directly paid by the publishers; in effect, those who make the games pay the salaries of those who review them. Pretty obvious that there's a conflict of interest there. I don't think we'd accept the impartiality of movie reviewers who were paid by the motion picture studios, so it's disappointing that we have to do so for the gaming industry.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

facher83 said:
Oh... http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/review/R103253.html

"I'm not going to compare the two. I'm going to explain to you, straight up, why Chrono Cross deserves to be my most hated video game of all time. Not role playing game, not Squaresoft game, BUT VIDEO GAME."

"...the horrible music ..." - This impressed me, CC has one of the best Square OST's ever and is usually recognized that way.

"The rest of the game seriously does look wonderful, unless you look really closely at the screen and see all those pixels and crap like that. But if you look at it from a normal distance it'll look pretty good!" - As I recall, during its release, it was one of the best looking PS1 games out there, graphically. Funny.

It's as if the guy ignored everything about the game and somehow got a 'featured review' on gamefaqs. How does that kind of ignorant review even get 'featured'. lol

It seems you ignored the review. First of all, the music he referred to was just the battle music. He states near the end that he like the rest of the soundtrack. It's just that the battles being frequent make the battle music prevalent.

Second, he did say that the game looked good. Just don't look at it too close. However, the texelation* is not a fault of the game, as much as the PS1's lack of trilinear mapping (since games like FFVIII, FFIX, MGS1, and Vagrant Story have texelation as well).

As for the whole review, I say this guy put up most of the complaints of those of us who were disappointed with the game, even if we don't downright hate it.

*Some confuse that for pixelation, but pixels are a fixed dot on the screen, and a texel is a dot in 3D graphics. Basically, if it moves, it's made of texels. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network
mancandy said:
I just played CoD 4 and it was so....bland. It doesn't seem to matter to me any more. If they are using a Thompson or an M16...it feels all the same. I feel like I've been there before. MP3 seemed so bland to me too. Halo has always been bland. It doesn't feel the same anymore. I find FPS games to be boring.

I guess too much of anything doesnt do good. I played 3 Castlevanias almost in a row. The last 2 GBA ones and then the first DS game. I stopped halfway through the DS game cause I got bored of the same thing again. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Ignore ;)

Faxanadu said:
mancandy said:

I guess too much of anything doesnt do good. I played 3 Castlevanias almost in a row. The last 2 GBA ones and then the first DS game. I stopped halfway through the DS game cause I got bored of the same thing again.

Try Circle of the Moon. It looks the same, but the challenge is on a whole other level. 

I find the animation and movement in Circle of the Moon to be quite stiff compared to the later games. It's a good game, no doubt, but I think Aria of Sorrow is the best of the handheld Castlevanias, and was enjoyed by me nearly as much as Symphony of the Night (despite its shorter length). Awesome game.

Also, Bioshock hardly deserves to be grouped as "just another" FPS. Most FPS games only feature a variety of guns with which to fight. Bioshock brings character abilities and potential for combat customization to a whole new level for console games with its mechanics, in addition to the guns that are standard to the genre (which themselves even have multiple ammo types).

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
Fantastic year for gaming
If 360 can keep up reputation of having some of the best video games ever made, it will be a idel console to have for next gen.
Same with mario gettings its name back and staying at number 2 best game of all time!

What do you mean, "Getting his name back?" Unlike Sonic, Crash, Spyro, and others, Mario is one of the "only" characters who has never been in a bad video game (excluding spin off titles). He never lost his reputation. Super Mario Sunshine is not a fall back. 91.6% in Game Rankings is outstanding! There are only three 3D platformers, in Game Rankings, that got a higher percentage, and personally, perhaps only one of those games, Super Mario 64, is truly better. And what about New Super Mario Bros? It became an instant classic! Mario was always good. Don't confuse him with Fox McCloud, or even Donkey Kong, because Mario was always a star!

Getting his name in terms of the true successor to SM 64

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.