By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Mummelmann said:
What does you mean? What people and what games?

Was replying to fufinu

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Fufinu said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^People wouldn't be interested, since the Wii already has those games

Yes but not all the peoples have the Wiis.

They would buy the Wii if they wanted those games

I for one won't but the Wii for the motion games as I want more from my console (Blu-ray, online games, HD). However, if it were on the Ps3 market, something like Wii sports could get me interested.

You guys "still" have not figured out that Avinash_Tyagi is an open opportunity troll and will never say a kind thing about any console that is not the wii or DS? He recently "latched" onto a internet article that talked about disruption theory and has not let go since. Just ignore his blatant fanboyism and stay on topic please.

On topic: Fantastic sales all around for everyone and I am happy that no console is below 100k so soon after the holidays (psp I am looking at you).

Fufinu said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Fufinu said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

I for one won't but the Wii for the motion games as I want more from my console (Blu-ray, online games, HD). However, if it were on the Ps3 market, something like Wii sports could get me interested.

You're already a PS3 fan/owner, you're already part of the incumbent market

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Mummelmann said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
@Avinash and Metallicube:
I don't and cannot expect from Sony and MS a fully working reaction to WiiMote and its philosophy, if only because they can't seamlessly glue completely new controls and gaming philosophies to consoles that were born completely different and "classic" and have now accumulated tens million HW and SW sales without these novelties. I expect more that for this gen they experiment with the new devices and dev tools, but a true complete and effective reaction will be possible next gen, including all the novelties in the standard equipment, possibly inventing something new or also, like I wrote, choosing a mix from the new and old things that they think could differentiate them from competitors and cater for audiences partially and not totally overlapping. This gen, necessary experiments apart, they'll do at most damage control, never tried to deny it, what I believe is that despite Nintendo being the undisputed leader, MS and Sony are reacting well enough to avoid disruption or delay it enough to be ready when next gen begins, nothing to write home about, but enough to prevent Nintendo from reaching 50%.
How well MS and Sony will do next gen, though, is a thing that we can't know now, but nothing is granted to the previous winner, and both Nintendo and Sony know it perfectly because they experimented it.
And in previous posts I didn't even mention XB360's tie ratio a lot higher than Sony's and Nintendo's, so that Wii SW % < Wii HW % < 50%, another factor preventing or strongly delaying disruption.
Let's not forget that failed invasion of Russia through the centuries show that slowing and getting in the mud fast intruders/disruptors is an effective tactic to stop them, despite it being completely different from counter-disruption.
And then there is another factor: de facto synergies, even unintentional: Nintendo and MS de facto effected a synergic action to dethronize Sony, but Sony and Nintendo did and are doing the same to prevent MS from conquering another monopoly and Sony and MS are doing another one to prevent Nintendo's disruption. With 3 strong players balance is a lot more complicated than oversimplified theories. Even without considering 3rd parties that furtherly complicate all.

No, see the problem is as I point out, you can't go half and half, the upmarket has totally different values than the down market and in order to appeal to one you have to basically shortchange the other, trying to go for both would leave them with a system that is appealing to neither.

Also next gen, Sony and MS will be even further behind the curve than this gem because Nintendo spent this gen building up the skills needed to appeal to the downmarket, Sony and MS have none of those skills, and it takes time to build them up, Nintendo will be able to further trap them in their shrinking box

So you agree that the Wii is neglecting the "core" gamers in favor of the casuals then I suppose?

@Mummelmann

Avinash_Tyagi "true spirit" answering to your question :

Yes, obviously, I agree with your point Mummelmann !!!

@Avinash_Tyagi,

I agree with the points you raised during the last 2-3 pages ;)

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Avarice28 said:
You guys "still" have not figured out that Avinash_Tyagi is an open opportunity troll and will never say a kind thing about any console that is not the wii or DS? He recently "latched" onto a internet article that talked about disruption theory and has not let go since. Just ignore his blatant fanboyism and stay on topic please.

On topic: Fantastic sales all around for everyone and I am happy that no console is below 100k so soon after the holidays (psp I am looking at you).

Internet article?  I'm sorry to say you are incorrect, no these are what I have been reading recently

GO PS3 & DS GO!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Fufinu said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Fufinu said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

I don't think that Natal/gem will target the same audience as Wii will. I see them targeting more a semi-hardcore gamer market, kind of interested in Wii-like applications, but wanting HD or more from their console. I'm not saying they will be stellar (in previous posts I said that both will not do so well), but they will garner interest and munch on some Wii sales that border on the hardcore.

no, those people are already gaming, so it won't affect the Wii

Fufinu said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Fufinu said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Fufinu said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

I don't think that Natal/gem will target the same audience as Wii will. I see them targeting more a semi-hardcore gamer market, kind of interested in Wii-like applications, but wanting HD or more from their console. I'm not saying they will be stellar (in previous posts I said that both will not do so well), but they will garner interest and munch on some Wii sales that border on the hardcore.

in your dream only man,

what you call "semi-hardcroe" market is, in deed, the hardcore market + motion control

the main point of Natla/Gem is ==> mainstream casual crowd.

they will also try to put some hardcore game, sure, because hardcore are active players buying lot of games and generating some hype but those games will not reach the mainstream casual crowd and will have little impact outside the hardcore crowd

Time to Work !