By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Bioshock DRM- Steam, GFWL and SecuROM 5 machine activation limit

salaminizer said:

actually, she said the disc-version only uses SecuROM for disk-checking purposes. however, she didn't literally say the Steam version doesn't include it, and so far the store page hasn't been changed.

a direct quote from her:

As many of you are aware, yesterday Steam's pre-purchase program began and the specs for BioShock 2 were posted along with that announcement.

These specs were taken from the retail packaging of BioShock 2. And since bullet points on the back of the box don't always explain the full story, here is a little more detail about what that means.

BioShock 2 is using a standard Games for Windows Live activation system, much like other games you have played in the past. That doesn't mean you always have to be online to play or save the game - you can create an offline profile for the Single Player portion of the game (you just won't earn achievements and you can't play Multiplayer, of course.)

We are using SecuROM only as a disc check method for the retail copy of BioShock 2. That is it's only use.

yes, it's a bit of a conspiracy theory to say that the Steam version DOES include SecuROM, but so far we have only a statement saying otherwise. I do believe the Steam copy doesn't include it, but I guess we should wait for a real confirmation.

How can a downloadable copy use SecuROM? SecuROM is a CD/DVD protection method.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

...and devs wonder why retail sales are down. What happened to the good old offline cd checks and no activations days? When pc games would run just fine on stock machines? Why do they have to integrate Games for Windows live? Its not supported in my country, so I wouldnt be allowed to even save my games? What the hell. The only drm I like is Securom cd keys with no activations or atleast refunds (uninstalling). My countrys bandwidth starved so I hate steam and digital distribution or anything else that requires a constant/ fast/ unlimited or high data cap connection. Prob aint a big deal for you guys but in thirdworld countries drm is a big no no.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Whoopsie, read what Salaminizer posted, its no biggie afterall, multiplayer ain't an issue for me anyway....

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

NJ5 said:
Khuutra said:
That DRM set is not nearly as bad as previously assumed

Back to anticipating the game on PC for me!?

Wait, I though we were assuming it was Securom on the retail copy and GFWL with limited activations on all copies. And that's exactly what it is.

Did I miss something?

You missed the part where I'm an over-assumptive ninny is what you missed

NJ5 said:
salaminizer said:

actually, she said the disc-version only uses SecuROM for disk-checking purposes. however, she didn't literally say the Steam version doesn't include it, and so far the store page hasn't been changed.

a direct quote from her:

As many of you are aware, yesterday Steam's pre-purchase program began and the specs for BioShock 2 were posted along with that announcement.

These specs were taken from the retail packaging of BioShock 2. And since bullet points on the back of the box don't always explain the full story, here is a little more detail about what that means.

BioShock 2 is using a standard Games for Windows Live activation system, much like other games you have played in the past. That doesn't mean you always have to be online to play or save the game - you can create an offline profile for the Single Player portion of the game (you just won't earn achievements and you can't play Multiplayer, of course.)

We are using SecuROM only as a disc check method for the retail copy of BioShock 2. That is it's only use.

yes, it's a bit of a conspiracy theory to say that the Steam version DOES include SecuROM, but so far we have only a statement saying otherwise. I do believe the Steam copy doesn't include it, but I guess we should wait for a real confirmation.

not really, it's also used as an online checker. several games require you to "activate your key" before running it. Bioshock 1 was one of the many that did that.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network
salaminizer said:
NJ5 said:
salaminizer said:

a direct quote from her:

not really, it's also used as an online checker. several games require you to "activate your key" before running it. Bioshock 1 was one of the many that did that.

I see. But in that case, it wouldn't make sense to have both SecuROM and GFWL activation. Surely they wouldn't ask you to activate the game on two different services? That would be utterly ridiculous.

NJ5 said:
salaminizer said:
NJ5 said:
salaminizer said:

a direct quote from her:

I see. But in that case, it wouldn't make sense to have both SecuROM and GFWL activation. Surely they wouldn't ask you to activate the game on two different services? That would be utterly ridiculous.

yep, it doesn't make sense, but in GTA IV you had SecuROM, then you had the Rockstar Club which required an account and, once in-game, you had to login to GFWL. and obviously, if you have it on Steam then.. well, you get it :P

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

salaminizer said:

yep, it doesn't make sense, but in GTA IV you had SecuROM, then you had the Rockstar Club which required an account and, once in-game, you had to login to GFWL. and obviously, if you have it on Steam then.. well, you get it :P

Really? Wow, I never knew... that's just crazy.

Regarding Bioshock I never got past the demo since I couldn't get the sound to work (which hasn't happened with any other game so far...). I'm on Vista, I know other people also had problems.

I'll probably get it for the 360 later on.

NJ5 said:
salaminizer said:

Really? Wow, I never knew... that's just crazy.

Regarding Bioshock I never got past the demo since I couldn't get the sound to work (which hasn't happened with any other game so far...). I'm on Vista, I know other people also had problems.

I'll probably get it for the 360 later on.

So maybe I'm not an over-assumptive ninny

This comes as a surprise and a relief to me

Didn't know GFWL was the problem with all the limitations like 15 activations tops. Another strike against that BS.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835