By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Bioshock DRM- Steam, GFWL and SecuROM 5 machine activation limit

It seems to me if they are going to use DRM with a limit on activations they really should guarantee us the buyers that the software will have unlimited activations after a period of time, let's say a year or 2. After even a couple months they've made the majority of their profit, the bootleggers have moved on to newer software and only the users who actually bought legitimate copies are burdened.

Afterall if Red Alert 2 had the DRM of RA3 I would have needed multiple copies by this point.

Around the Network

That is false. PC sales don't sell tons in the beginning.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

twesterm said:
Mudface said:
twesterm said:
I don't know if I've ever installed a single game 15 times...

So? It doesn't matter if the limit is 100 or 1000, it's my game, I paid for it and I should be able to what I want with it without potentially having to request permission from a third party; especially a third party such as Microsoft which has previous form for switching off its DRM servers and doesn't even supply a revoke tool for GfWL activations.

Another worry about GfWL is that it only works in 26 countries at present. So anyone in the other 166 countries who've paid good money for the game won't be allowed to play online. Couple that with the usual SecuROM crap and it's utterly toxic.

It's not your game, it's your license.  You bought a license.

-edit-

And don't get me wrong, I think a lot of DRM's are a pain in the ass but I don't understand the constant bitching about them.  You obviously know there's a DRM that obviously bothers you so just don't get the game if you don't like it.  It's the same thing as if there was some part of the game you didn't like.  If you don't like it, just don't deal with it.

Publishers have to do something to protect thier property.  I'm not saying this is the best solution, but the thinking that if the DRM wasn't there people wouldn't pirate the game is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Thinking that DRM is going to prevent people from pirating is even more funny then that.

Everyone who can add 2+2 knows that DRM is intended to kill second hand market.

And main worry for publisher should be to provide problem free enjoyable experience to customer who buys their product to get their loyalty.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Bah, what's the point of me wanting to use GFWL if I had bought the game from Steam? Especially if Steam already supports stuff like achievements (even if they're not the same thing with the gamerscore, but I could care less about that).

Not a fan of these stupid install limits either especially if it's on Steam where I can easily remove and redownload my games as I need to (not to say it's more difficult to use install disks). Having these limits are rather counterproductive to how I use my computer. I've reformatted my hard drive numerous times over the past year as well as created a partition with Windows 7 on it over the summer. I would hit that activation limit pretty fast and the game would become 11gigs of useless data.

I've long decided to vote against any and all type of DRM. All they are trying to push is to turn selling into renting.
Buyers no longer buy but only rent.

They failed several times trying to push such rule on us but failed. But that does not mean they are going to stop trying until they success.

Around the Network

ok so new line to look at when buying products... the DRM requierments :x

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/01/22/bioshock-2-drm-detailed-in-full/1

"2K Games has fully explained the DRM and piracy protection system that will be used for BioShock 2, clearing up a lot of the rumours and half-truths.

The bad news is that BioShock 2 will use SecuROM, the controversial DRM system that caused a furore with the original game and which was eventually removed.

The good news is that SecuROM is only used in the boxed copies of the game and only as part of a disc check, according to Community Manager Elizabeth Tobey, via VG247.

The bad news (again) though is that all versions of BioShock 2 also use Games for Windows Live, which means the game can only be activated 15 times. It seems that that's a limit within GFWL, not BioShock 2 specifically, as 2K say users will have to contact Microsoft if they use all those up.

"This is a number set by Microsoft. We went with this option because we wanted to go with non-SSA keys, because we felt that was better for you guys all around," said Elizabeth."

So the install limit is a Games for Windows Live thing? Well I guess that's further reason to shun it. It's a shame that you're stuck with it even if you buy it off Steam which makes no sense considering your Steam games are already tied to your account so why should you be limited on the number of times you can redownload them?

actually, she said the disc-version only uses SecuROM for disk-checking purposes. however, she didn't literally say the Steam version doesn't include it, and so far the store page hasn't been changed.

a direct quote from her:

As many of you are aware, yesterday Steam's pre-purchase program began and the specs for BioShock 2 were posted along with that announcement.

These specs were taken from the retail packaging of BioShock 2. And since bullet points on the back of the box don't always explain the full story, here is a little more detail about what that means.

BioShock 2 is using a standard Games for Windows Live activation system, much like other games you have played in the past. That doesn't mean you always have to be online to play or save the game - you can create an offline profile for the Single Player portion of the game (you just won't earn achievements and you can't play Multiplayer, of course.)

We are using SecuROM only as a disc check method for the retail copy of BioShock 2. That is it's only use.

yes, it's a bit of a conspiracy theory to say that the Steam version DOES include SecuROM, but so far we have only a statement saying otherwise. I do believe the Steam copy doesn't include it, but I guess we should wait for a real confirmation.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

That DRM set is not nearly as bad as previously assumed

Back to anticipating the game on PC for me!?

Khuutra said:
That DRM set is not nearly as bad as previously assumed

Back to anticipating the game on PC for me!?

Wait, I though we were assuming it was Securom on the retail copy and GFWL with limited activations on all copies. And that's exactly what it is.

Did I miss something?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957